Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Can anyone help me fix this PC quirk

The last post in this topic was posted 2894 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I fixed this once before, but for the life of me cannot remember how I did it.

I have Windows 7. I just recently reformatted and re-installed everything. But now Windows (by default) will not show thumbnails, it only shows that stupid little icon. I have googled and unchecked the box that says "show icons never thumbnails". But I must be missing something somewhere. Or maybe when I re-installed windows opted to leave something off.

Can anyone tell me how to get my thumbnails showing again?

And I also have a follow up question. No matter what webpage I am on..........I keep getting these things that pop up when my cursor hovers too long. I don't remember that happening before. Is there a way to turn that poop off?

I only have Windows Vista and Windows8 machines, so windows7 may have different menus. I don't know

Try this

Open file explorer. Either by pressing the Windows and E key at the same time or clicking on 'my computer'

Highlight the C drive by clicking on it once.

Then look for the 'View' menu (or maybe the Folders menu).

In that you will see a menu for changing the way files are displayed. Click on the option for details or whatever you may prefer.

There may be an "apply to all folders" button. If so click that once you have the view set up how you like it.

The other issue you are describing is called tooltips. I don't have a quick answer for that.

You can do a web search for an answer, but it may require a registry change and you don't want to do that unless you are confident in your computing abilities.

If I'm not mistaken you can get to this menu roughly the same way in Win7 as XP and older versions:

Right click on My Computer, and click on properties. Somewhere on the left should be "System Properties" and in that window select the Advanced tab. In the performance section, click on the settings button, then select adjust for best appearance, or find the individual box pertaining to icons vs thumbnails.

This is all assuming that your particular windows explorer view isn't set to icons and IS in fact set to view thumbnails. That setting should be in the upper right hand area of any windows explorer window; it'll probably have a little drop down arrow next to a icon-type graphic.

The last post in this topic was posted 2894 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.