Next step with Citi- authorized user removal

missymiss80

The last post in this topic was posted 4116 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello Credit Board experts,

I have been working on my credit now since December and have had some moderate success. However, I need advice on the next step. I was listed as an authorized user on my ex-husband's business Citi Card. We divorced in 2009. I pulled my credit report in November and am still listed as an authorized user. There is a 60-day late on the account and it is maxed out. I sent a CMRR letter to CITI Jan. 7. It is still reporting on all reports.

Can I get some advice on what your next course of action would be?

I live in Texas, but am not sure that gives me any more teeth in this situation.

Thank you for any assistance, advice you can provide. These boards have been incredibly helpful to me as I work to repair items.

• 2 weeks later...

You may have some problems regarding this debt.

Texas is a Community Property State and I would suggest you do some research prior to taking any action.

In community property states, most debts incurred by either spouse during the marriage are owed by the "community" (the couple), even if only one spouse signed the paperwork for a debt. The key here is during the marriage. So if you incur a debt, such as a student loan, while you're single, and then get married, it won't automatically become a joint debt. (An exception is where a spouse signs on to an account as a joint account holder after getting married.) Some states, like Texas, have a more nuanced way of analyzing who owes what debts by evaluating who incurred the debt, for what purpose, and when.

After a legal separation or divorce, a debt is generally owed only by the spouse who incurred the debt, unless the debt was incurred for family necessities, to maintain jointly owned assets (for example, to fix a leaking roof), or if the spouses keep a joint account.

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify, I was an authorized user on the account during the marriage when we owned a business together. When we divorced, our decree stated he had responsibility for this account and was supposed to remove me as an authorized user. He didn't. Four years later, I pull my credit and find out this account is maxed out, there are two 60-day lates reporting, and I was never removed as an authorized user.

I did get this account removed, but it required every avenue tactics:

1) Letter to OC

2) Dispute with CRA's certified mail

3) Strongly worded letter to ex to work on his end to get me removed

4) Redispute with CRA's online and certified.

It finally came off after 60 days of haggling with everyone involved.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The last post in this topic was posted 4116 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.