Sign in to follow this  
bilkarr

? for someone who knows about Dr. billing offices

I have a lawyer who is trying to collect on a Dr. bill from an ER visit. (no insurance) After several letters back and forth. The last one says........"We have been instructed by your client to reduce your balance to xxx.xx. Please remit payment in full at your earliest convenience."

I am confused with his wording as "your client". Don't know what he means, or if it was a mistake. But that's not my question.

The payment he wants is less then 10% of the total bill. He has sent nothing from the Dr. office saying they wrote off the rest of the balance. Since the hospital wrote off their balance as charity, I suspect the Dr. office wrote off the whole bill and the lawyer just wants a payment for himself.

So my question is, can I go to the billing office and get anything in writing that says they wrote off the bill and the amount? Do they do that?

When was the date of service?? Have you checked your credit reports?? Is this "lawyer" from a collection agency??

Follow these steps:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDEBOOK.html

The most likely explanation is that you are being dunned by a collection agency. It is VERY UNLIKELY that the hospital is in a current relationship with this CA.

Come back to this post after you have checked your credit reports to see if the account is reporting.

It is not on my credit report. The ER Dr. bill is separate from the hospital bill. The hospital told me that when I was doing their paperwork for the charity. They said they have no control/billing for the DR.'s. The DR's billing offices are not near the hospital.

The lawyer is local in my city. Their letter head say -----and----- Attorneys at Law. Does say communication is from debt collector,

Date of the ER visit was May 2011.

If the Dr.'s office wrote off the balance would they still give me something in writing? (that says zero balance)