Sign in to follow this  
oldblueeyes

12 year old debt not on CR but just received letter

Good evening friends!

Last night I received a letter from a collection agency for a debt that I do not believe is mine. About 10-12 years ago I was young, dumb and made credit mistakes. The past 8+ years I have maintained stellar (no lates or missed) credit (with the exception of high cc debt). Anyways, I called them last night to ask what it was for (it listed the creditor as ATT who I have never done business with). They told me it was for an account with AT&T that was opened in November of 2000 and a last payment was made on May 2001. I ended the conversation there and immediately went to pull my CR. I pulled 2/3 and see nothing from them (as I shouldn't since it is 12 years old). I also pulled my score - 830 (woohoo - compared to years ago)!

Anyways, my question is, do I just completely ignore this since it is not on my CR and it cannot be or should I do something to follow up with them?

Thank you in advance for any advice and insight!

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze

CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, CtSoxFan, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere

Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, TeeSharice

Good evening friends!

Last night I received a letter from a collection agency for a debt that I do not believe is mine. About 10-12 years ago I was young, dumb and made credit mistakes. The past 8+ years I have maintained stellar (no lates or missed) credit (with the exception of high cc debt). Anyways, I called them last night to ask what it was for (it listed the creditor as ATT who I have never done business with). They told me it was for an account with AT&T that was opened in November of 2000 and a last payment was made on May 2001. I ended the conversation there and immediately went to pull my CR. I pulled 2/3 and see nothing from them (as I shouldn't since it is 12 years old). I also pulled my score - 830 (woohoo - compared to years ago)!

Anyways, my question is, do I just completely ignore this since it is not on my CR and it cannot be or should I do something to follow up with them?

Thank you in advance for any advice and insight!

Also, I am not sure why this is showing me as a newbie!?! I have been a member for a looooooong time but was much more active years ago. I haven't been on in quite some time and had to reset my password - maybe that is why it is showing as my 1st post?

They can't do anything. Send a cease and desist letter citing the SOL if you wish. Don't give them any info like you did when you called them...now they have your phone #.

Keep in mind that in 2000 AT&T was Cingular Wireless, or SBC Communications, or some other of the various telecommunications companies that have merged with them.

Keep in mind that in 2000 AT&T was Cingular Wireless, or SBC Communications, or some other of the various telecommunications companies that have merged with them.

And keep in mind that it is 12 years old,

so this isn't a CA collecting for AT&T with actual account records on hand

it's a JDB, with a name, an account # and a 12 year old address ( maybe )

and it's most likely has been transferred / sold 5-6 times

Which means they just get a list of names and addresses from a skip tracer, and;

mail out notices to everyone with the same name, and:

hope somebody pays it, and;

They Really don't care who,

and if multiple folks pay the same bill, even better.

And keep in mind that it is 12 years old,

so this isn't a CA collecting for AT&T with actual account records on hand

it's a JDB, with a name, an account # and a 12 year old address ( maybe )

and it's most likely has been transferred / sold 5-6 times

Which means they just get a list of names and addresses from a skip tracer, and;

mail out notices to everyone with the same name, and:

hope somebody pays it, and;

They Really don't care who,

and if multiple folks pay the same bill, even better.

FOAD 'em, CMRRR.