Reliable? Seriously?

The last post in this topic was posted 2948 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

It's been a while since I had my last business which went a number of years and was pretty successful. Because of the economy and my desire to spend more time with my family I haven't been in the active business ring for a couple years. I opened up an other company last year and didn't really desire or need corporate credit as I had a lot of leftover equipment from my previous work. But as with all things, the need arose to start building a credit file. Some of you know me and or have read my posts from way back when, so you know I know my way around things when it comes to company credit. I've done it all. 5 figure bank cards, multiple cars financed without PG, etc, etc...

So here I am going by the basics of starting a new file for my business which has been around about a year, but never bothered to take out any trade lines because frankly I never needed supplies and equipment I already had... until now where the need is starting to creep up a bit.

So I knew Reliable was usually good for a trade line. I registered by account and ordered $27 worth of supplies and actually get a call back from credit!?!? They say I need established credit and I had no Duns file. I have Never had that happen with Reliable in the past. My corporation and state license shows up on a search and they want to bust my tail to pre pay for a $27 order?? Seriously. Are some of you others who have started up over the last year or so run into this?

I have never had to call Duns before to create a file. I have always let the file auto create when a trade line reported.

I know many things have obviously changed since the pre recession golden era of credit. You know, back when Staples would give you $750 simply for having a business phone listing and now presumably they want to see a Duns And likely a Paydex. But Reliable?? The company where more than half of the things on their site are not available or on back order has the audacity to decline a registered and licensed corp for a $27 order? I know things were not nearly as liberal as they used to be, but thats just silly! At least Quill and Uline didn't call me back.

Well, diving back into it again. Guess I will see what else on the business credit landscape has changed!

Sometimes it's not a good thing if DNB auto creates a file for you as there can be several things contained in that that have the possibly to be incorrect. I have had trouble with quill before in the last 2 years approving an order over 100.00 (not my first order either.) And most companies will have a problem approving big orders depending on past spending trends on orders placed.

I would simply call back and see if you can get an overide. But from what I have heard Reliable is merging with another company and is not offering reporting fro trades any longer according to a member on here that spoke with a rep.

I would stick with the well known vendors that report, And even in the past reliable has been a sketchy one.

I do remember that Reliable was one which was hard to predict, so I might not worry too much about them. Quill processed and shipped fine, as did Uline. Maybe I will open my Duns file instead of auto create. In the past I have just let it auto create to avoid the annoying upgrade sales pitches. I've never had a problem with it auto creating and being accurate. though I can see it happening.

I do remember that Reliable was one which was hard to predict, so I might not worry too much about them. Quill processed and shipped fine, as did Uline. Maybe I will open my Duns file instead of auto create. In the past I have just let it auto create to avoid the annoying upgrade sales pitches. I've never had a problem with it auto creating and being accurate. though I can see it happening.

I had manually created mine. And i'm glad I did. But it was just by luck as I did not hear of that happening to anyone a while back. Quill and Uline definetly report. So your off to a good start there. Build a good base of a cupple of vendors, and then try to move on to gas cards. From there to larger creditors like GECRB and CITI.

I was not around back when you were but I know a lot has changed. You may find some of the information in this thread I made usefull as it is for the more ''Recent'' business credit situation....

Glad to have you back btw!

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=476200

• 1 month later...

Hey, SCM. how goes it?

I came back here and it's much more quiet these days. A good thing since many of the scammers are gone (though some still remain). But the business credit scene is naturally more conservative these days. Go by the rules that were established back in our day and just expect lower credit lines. There is nothing really new on the business credit front. Use the basics that have been around for years and avoid the 'advise' from those who are trying to reinvent the wheel.

You had some great accomplishments back in the day. Theres nothing really going on new that you don't already know.

The last post in this topic was posted 2948 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.