Please use the Feedback forum for questions about the upgrade.  We will get to them as quickly as possible.

Sign in to follow this  
maustinx

I did it, 6 years but zero to hero.

I want to keep this short so others know there is hope, but it is a long and slow road. This is the short version of how I ended up here, any questions let me know and I will try to chime in.

2006- Had nothing but a checking account. One bank account was closed, various CAs after me, about 10-12k in debts, lots of damage of being 18 with a credit card. (check my post history)

Late 2006- Hung out here lurking a lot, dodging people serving me, understanding the whole process of how I ended up in this spot and how to never do it again. MyFICO wouldn't even pull.. another site estimated at 550-580.

2007- Full on attack, Opt-outs, small clean up on my CRAs, found a way to open up a USAA checking/savings account, became responsible. PFD and DVL. Down to one judgement and 3-4 baddies on each. Closed my last checking account and went into my safe haven of USAA for everything, the accounts no one but me had.

2008- CRAs are now reporting almost nothing but some hard pulls and TU is showing a judgment. TU won't update my new address so I give up with them, I'll attack them later. I call this 85% done, aiming for 100% would drive me nuts.

Late 2008- Open up Hooters 300cl woohoo! and orchard secured- 500$. Charge up and pay off monthly.

Early 2009- Open up secured CapOne for 1k. Now I feel like progress is being made. I have 3 cards, 2 are secured oh well, and positive TLs are being built.

Late 2009-CRAs only show pulls for these cards, and of course TU is a judgement and wrong address, I still don't care. (I should have attacked them here, but why wake a sleeper)

Early 2010- Attack the judgment, found a lawyer, paid about 1k to toss out the 5k judgement. Worth it to me. Still shows on my TU, but I know I can remove it now when I want.

Late 2010- Walk into a dealership and take out a 20k subprime auto loan. Small, but impressive that I got it at this point. Hit USAA for a credit card about the same day, 10k limit. OMG... I am almost a new person. Auto loan, credit cards, it's so close I can taste it. All I have to do is not screw this up.

2011- Sit idle and pay down auto loan, charge and pay off cards, float a little balance on my USAA. 5 years later and I am almost there.

Late 2012- Last week. Now, all my auto loan hard pulls are off, USAA pull is off, I have a clean slate with 2-4 years of history. Yes, TU is still messed up but again, 85% here, I'll deal with them next year. However, I did a mini AoR to see where I stand. 4 attempts, at least 1 on each CRA, 4 WINS! ZOMG. Priceline VISA- 3500, AMEX GOLD, CITI AA- 5000, and USAA #2, 10k. Oh, also opened up penfed the same day. My scores via USAA show 710-721. Not the best, but I am human again. I can only imagine where I will be in two more years. And the biggest win was that AMEX, a card I was never able to get even when I had my previous lines.

Yes, it is possible, but it takes a lot of patience and waiting for those positive TLs to build. Hang in there guys, it's easy to get discouraged. Remember, start slow, attack, build those secured cards, try not to pull until you have to (every 2 years), and it will all be okay in the end. Perhaps the most important part here... do not end up back where you started! Thank you CB!

Thanks for all the support guys! It does feel good, even if it seemed like this day would never come. I didn't even expect a reply, this is why I love CB even if I just lurk for most of my years.

I know I could always be more aggressive, *B, do store cards early on, etc... but I wanted to use patience and time. I had so many sleepers when starting out I laid low and did this the slow way. Think of me as the more patience than effort route, worst case 6 years. Even today I should use the penfed hard 60 to see if I could get a TL or other little tricks, but for me this was all about rebuilding myself slowly instead of being too ambitious. It also helped me not end up back in the hole I started in. I think my only current want is NFCU, but until I find a willing roommate or a great loophole... that may be my Eleanor. :ph34r:

Good Job! :good:

But what is the remaining issue with TU?

TU is the thorn in my side during the whole mess. The only CRA that still shows a judgement (since dismissed). They also refuse to update my address to the one I have been using for 11 years now, I try every two years. In 2013 I will go after them once and for all to remove the judgement and update my address. I have been trying to avoid showing ID but for some reason TU is the one who doesn't like me, it seems we all have that one CRA who won't play ball. If it comes to ID, so be it :( I figured with my recent mini AoR, and making sure to have one that hit TU, they may have enough outside info now to update.

Great story, great work, great spirit! Hi guys i have been reading your stories and works , i am impressed and happy to find a group of people who think and believe in things i believe and work hard to achieve what they want and set out to do.

Could you explain some of the jargons and abbreviations you use on here. Such words like "AoR" Psyhich Nutcase" , what is 1-2 step Punch? and how do you do this and what it does for you. What is "OPT OUT" and how do you do that and what are the implications or benfits?

Thanks alot everyone, it6s good to finally join you all in this noble fight.

I want to keep this short so others know there is hope, but it is a long and slow road. This is the short version of how I ended up here, any questions let me know and I will try to chime in.

2006- Had nothing but a checking account. One bank account was closed, various CAs after me, about 10-12k in debts, lots of damage of being 18 with a credit card. (check my post history)

Late 2006- Hung out here lurking a lot, dodging people serving me, understanding the whole process of how I ended up in this spot and how to never do it again. MyFICO wouldn't even pull.. another site estimated at 550-580.

2007- Full on attack, Opt-outs, small clean up on my CRAs, found a way to open up a USAA checking/savings account, became responsible. PFD and DVL. Down to one judgement and 3-4 baddies on each. Closed my last checking account and went into my safe haven of USAA for everything, the accounts no one but me had.

2008- CRAs are now reporting almost nothing but some hard pulls and TU is showing a judgment. TU won't update my new address so I give up with them, I'll attack them later. I call this 85% done, aiming for 100% would drive me nuts.

Late 2008- Open up Hooters 300cl woohoo! and orchard secured- 500$. Charge up and pay off monthly.

Early 2009- Open up secured CapOne for 1k. Now I feel like progress is being made. I have 3 cards, 2 are secured oh well, and positive TLs are being built.

Late 2009-CRAs only show pulls for these cards, and of course TU is a judgement and wrong address, I still don't care. (I should have attacked them here, but why wake a sleeper)

Early 2010- Attack the judgment, found a lawyer, paid about 1k to toss out the 5k judgement. Worth it to me. Still shows on my TU, but I know I can remove it now when I want.

Late 2010- Walk into a dealership and take out a 20k subprime auto loan. Small, but impressive that I got it at this point. Hit USAA for a credit card about the same day, 10k limit. OMG... I am almost a new person. Auto loan, credit cards, it's so close I can taste it. All I have to do is not screw this up.

2011- Sit idle and pay down auto loan, charge and pay off cards, float a little balance on my USAA. 5 years later and I am almost there.

Late 2012- Last week. Now, all my auto loan hard pulls are off, USAA pull is off, I have a clean slate with 2-4 years of history. Yes, TU is still messed up but again, 85% here, I'll deal with them next year. However, I did a mini AoR to see where I stand. 4 attempts, at least 1 on each CRA, 4 WINS! ZOMG. Priceline VISA- 3500, AMEX GOLD, CITI AA- 5000, and USAA #2, 10k. Oh, also opened up penfed the same day. My scores via USAA show 710-721. Not the best, but I am human again. I can only imagine where I will be in two more years. And the biggest win was that AMEX, a card I was never able to get even when I had my previous lines.

Yes, it is possible, but it takes a lot of patience and waiting for those positive TLs to build. Hang in there guys, it's easy to get discouraged. Remember, start slow, attack, build those secured cards, try not to pull until you have to (every 2 years), and it will all be okay in the end. Perhaps the most important part here... do not end up back where you started! Thank you CB!

Great job and congrats on getting out of debt. Credit scores can really ruin lives and make doing almost anything impossible like getting a job or a place to stay,

Great story, great work, great spirit! Hi guys i have been reading your stories and works , i am impressed and happy to find a group of people who think and believe in things i believe and work hard to achieve what they want and set out to do.

Could you explain some of the jargons and abbreviations you use on here. Such words like "AoR" Psyhich Nutcase" , what is 1-2 step Punch? and how do you do this and what it does for you. What is "OPT OUT" and how do you do that and what are the implications or benfits?

Thanks alot everyone, it6s good to finally join you all in this noble fight.

The Newbies forum is a great place to start. blessings to ya