Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

the NEW metal card....

The last post in this topic was posted 2904 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I have one of their Gold Cards (though I only use my iPhone) and am in there regularly but I couldn't fathom paying $50 for a card thats only good at ONE store.

I have one of their Gold Cards (though I only use my iPhone) and am in there regularly but I couldn't fathom paying $50 for a card thats only good at ONE store.

Agreed 100%. I was just sent a gold card...that's plenty for me.

My gold card is good enough for me ~ unless the cardholders gets special promotions, more free drinks, etc. then it's not worth it in my opinion.

With the use of smartphones, I feel like these rewards cards are becoming obsolete anyways.

lol for that amount I rather make a metal card of my own design and put my own magnetic strip in there with a duplicator lol

veel-beter.jpg

make one like this since no one will probably ever see it could be fun trying to punk some starbucks employees =)

Metal cards won't be a status symbol much longer.

Enjoy your Sapphire Pref & Palladium while you can.

Pretty soon there will be secured credit cards made of metal.

There are people who are essentially working poor that manage to carry the latest iPhone. I think if their bank offered them a debit card made of metal for $50, they would say "yes".

um actually the price is 450.00 for that card.sorry,but starbucks can jump in the lake.sadly as one already posted.they will sell(sigh).

The car is $50, the other $400 goes on the card as a credit. You're essentially prepaying for $400 worth of SBUX.

I remember back in the late 80s, my membership card for this club (can't remember the name) in London was metal. They were wayyyyyyyy ahead of their time.

Have never quite understood the allure of how a card looks or what it's made of. Or paying exorbitant fees for benefits you rarely or never use--or would cost less a la carte--just so you can brag that you have a certain card. I couldn't imagine getting a card simply because it was made of metal. I guess I just don't need that much attention. dntknw.gif

Have never quite understood the allure of how a card looks or what it's made of. Or paying exorbitant fees for benefits you rarely or never use--or would cost less a la carte--just so you can brag that you have a certain card. I couldn't imagine getting a card simply because it was made of metal. I guess I just don't need that much attention. dntknw.gif

for the two "metal" cards I have (Pd and CSP) offer perks and rewards I greatly benefit from. I would find the cards useful regardless of the material. In fact, I have not used my "metal" Pd card more than once or twice in 2012. I use the plastic version. The Pd benefits I've gotten this year would have cost >$1,000 a la carte. there may be a time in my life when I no longer want/need/can benefit from these things. at that time I doubt I would keep the card.

so please don't assume it is about attention.

love,

hegemony

for the two "metal" cards I have (Pd and CSP) offer perks and rewards I greatly benefit from. I would find the cards useful regardless of the material. In fact, I have not used my "metal" Pd card more than once or twice in 2012. I use the plastic version. The Pd benefits I've gotten this year would have cost >$1,000 a la carte. there may be a time in my life when I no longer want/need/can benefit from these things. at that time I doubt I would keep the card.

so please don't assume it is about attention.

love,

hegemony

But often it is. You can't deny that. More than the benefits, I see "I'm going to apply for this card because it looks so cool and I can't wait to see the reaction I get when I use it." I see some people saying they're not interested in a card if it's plastic and not metal. I see people paying $450 a year for an AmEx Platinum solely because they're flattered by the fact that AmEx will give them one. That is something I do not understand at all. It's like there's an underlying feeling of insecurity manifesting itself in the desire to call attention to their cards to prove they're somebody.

I got in the mail today a free $5 Starbucks card from Bank of America for being a credit card customer. It works the same way as that $400 + $50 card. Much cheaper too.

Well...I have to admit...I bought one of these cards. Just couldnt resist. As I noted in another thread I burn more than $50/week at Starbucks so the $400 + $50 wasnt really a concern. Hoping that there will be some targeted offers/additional discounts for cardholders but nothing is guaranteed. I equate it to driving a nice car or buying a nice suit... I drive a nice car and pay extra for that...I could choose to drive a sh!tty camy or accord that gets better mileage is as safe and is much cheaper but I like what I like. The same people who are critical of others on threads like this are probably carrying around a tumi wallet or wearing a hermes tie when they could do without those things....beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :rolleyes:

Well...I have to admit...I bought one of these cards. Just couldnt resist. As I noted in another thread I burn more than $50/week at Starbucks so the $400 + $50 wasnt really a concern. Hoping that there will be some targeted offers/additional discounts for cardholders but nothing is guaranteed. I equate it to driving a nice car or buying a nice suit... I drive a nice car and pay extra for that...I could choose to drive a sh!tty camy or accord that gets better mileage is as safe and is much cheaper but I like what I like. The same people who are critical of others on threads like this are probably carrying around a tumi wallet or wearing a hermes tie when they could do without those things....beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :rolleyes:

I don't blame you for giving in. :)

I don't see a problem with the card at all other than the hassle of carrying it when a smart phone or credit card would work. If it was made of something other than steel, perhaps .999 silver, I probably would have bought one as a collectors item. Even the steel card could become valuable to collectors so a $50 investment could pay off.

I don't see a problem with the card at all other than the hassle of carrying it when a smart phone or credit card would work. If it was made of something other than steel, perhaps .999 silver, I probably would have bought one as a collectors item. Even the steel card could become valuable to collectors so a $50 investment could pay off.

I agree. Especially with free starbucks gift cards from just a few years back fetching a pretty penny on the second hand market depending on rarity.

I agree. Especially with free starbucks gift cards from just a few years back fetching a pretty penny on the second hand market depending on rarity.

OMFG, the future is now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Limited-Starbucks-Metal-Steel-Card-Incl-Gold-Membership-Free-Shipping-/200861391686

Coder you should have bought 100 of them...

Edited by hegemony

The last post in this topic was posted 2904 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.