Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Paid CA but debt not removed from credit report

The last post in this topic was posted 2806 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi Pros,

I paid one of the debts to CA as they told me that they will remove it from by credit report. It is on equifax canada.

now after three months the debt is still there and it says paid.

what should i do now?

It was first time happened to me and i didnot know what to do at that time so i paid them. It was a phone bill i missed with rogers and i moved. How can i get it removed from my credit report now?

any help will be really appreciated.

jim

Guest w_a_y_n_e

Pay for delete is not legal in Canada. If a collection agency agreed to delete the item once paid, you either got one that doesn't know what they're doing, or they just told you that to make you pay it. Rule number one when dealing with collectors, they will say whatever it takes to get you to pay!

Pay for delete is not legal in Canada. If a collection agency agreed to delete the item once paid, you either got one that doesn't know what they're doing, or they just told you that to make you pay it. Rule number one when dealing with collectors, they will say whatever it takes to get you to pay!

But is there any way to remove it from my credit file. it is only with equifax.

Guest w_a_y_n_e

Unfortunately not. It will automatically purge from your credit file in 6 years from the date of the delinquency. It's good that you paid it, and they marked it as paid, but it's still a bad debt and cannot be deleted. After a couple years, it won't affect you anymore anyways, so long as you keep everything good on your reports in the mean time.

I believe if you read some other people's experiences, you will see that Canadians have pretty much the same rights to dispute a debt as Americans do.

Quite often, a collector will tell you it's illegal for them to remove a negative from your report, but in reality, it is just a violation of their contract with the credit bureaus. If they agree to delete the entry, they can lose their rights to use that credit reporting agency at all. There have been some cases where people have successfully negotiated such a deletion, but only in cases where the debt is beyond the SOL, and in reality, they have no better way to get paid. Everyone kinds of zeros in on PFD because it sounds so easy, but in reality, it only works under certain circumstances.

Use the same dispute methods used with Equifax in the US. Read some of the older posts in this forum to get an idea what works and what doesn't in the Canadian system.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ElectricToaster
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines