Chase Freedom & Black Friday

The last post in this topic was posted 3049 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

After some phone calls to Chase, I have confirmed that the Freedom card offers a form of "price protection" that I can't find on any of my other cards (my Citi Forward has a weaker version of the same idea).

If I buy something, & within 90 days a brick & mortar store (not online) publishes an ad at a lower price, Chase will reimburse me the difference up to $500 per claim/ $3,500 per year.

Since the Black Friday specials are available online a month in advance, what would keep a person from buying, lets say a $1000 TV at full price a week earlier, & just waiting for the Black Friday ad for $600 to be published & getting Chase to reimburse the $400 difference? Not to mention, not having to wait outside in the freezing cold for a slight chance of getting 1 of the 5 loss-leading TV's they have in stock.

Am I missing something? Does anyone with a Freedom card have any insight, because that seems like a guaranteed way to get bargain prices with almost no effort.

After some phone calls to Chase, I have confirmed that the Freedom card offers a form of "price protection" that I can't find on any of my other cards (my Citi Forward has a weaker version of the same idea).

If I buy something, & within 90 days a brick & mortar store (not online) publishes an ad at a lower price, Chase will reimburse me the difference up to $500 per claim/ $3,500 per year.

Since the Black Friday specials are available online a month in advance, what would keep a person from buying, lets say a $1000 TV at full price a week earlier, & just waiting for the Black Friday ad for $600 to be published & getting Chase to reimburse the $400 difference? Not to mention, not having to wait outside in the freezing cold for a slight chance of getting 1 of the 5 loss-leading TV's they have in stock.

Am I missing something? Does anyone with a Freedom card have any insight, because that seems like a guaranteed way to get bargain prices with almost no effort.

Not sure about Chase, but most of those programs are phrased with a variation of 'at our discretion', which when translated means 'we will do it if we want to'. So I wouldn't count on it - that's point one.

Point two is that this isn't a very smart thing to do if you want to keep the card. Chase is obviously in business to make money and if you intentionally become a loss leader for them there is a predictable outcome.

Thanks SomeGuyInCA. I would argue that Chase is willingly offering this program. If I choose to take advantage of it, & Chase doesn't like losing money on me, they should just nix the program. I have also read through every shred of fine print I could get my hands on, & neither electronics or Black Friday fall under the "Exclusions" from Chase.

I'm not in the market for a new TV or computer, & Black Friday has come and gone. Yet I may want a new TV in the year to come... & this program might be very beneficial then.

I still can't find a reason this would not work...

Thoughts?

One sneaky thing to keep in mind, for the retailers at least, is that they change model numbers for deeply discounted items during mass promo'a. Just look at the TV models out there for the BF sales.... somehow none of them match the model numbers that we are previously familiar with for the same exact TV. I think they do this to protect retailers and price protection programs from this type of liability, but who knows.

I've worked in a store that had Black Friday electronics specials. A lot of Black Friday items, especially televisions and appliances are:

1. Not floor-set until the store has closed the night before (as per corporate guidelines), and thus not purchasable. Items will not appear online until the sale starts.

2. Special purchases, which are different, sometimes stripped-down models with less options, that have a different manufacturer's model number and special store inventory/item number/SKU

3. Especially for high/low discounting stores like Kohl's - Sometimes have their "suggested" or "offering" price inflated to match the "normal" items, even though the doorbuster may be a lower-tier product/brand.

In summary: You usually cannot purchase Black Friday doorbusters ahead of time because the store doesn't make them available to purchase. Their sole purpose is to drive people to "bust down the door", not to be sold for a profit before the event.

Edited by Shigeru
  • 2 weeks later...

I've worked in a store that had Black Friday electronics specials. A lot of Black Friday items, especially televisions and appliances are:

1. Not floor-set until the store has closed the night before (as per corporate guidelines), and thus not purchasable. Items will not appear online until the sale starts.

2. Special purchases, which are different, sometimes stripped-down models with less options, that have a different manufacturer's model number and special store inventory/item number/SKU

3. Especially for high/low discounting stores like Kohl's - Sometimes have their "suggested" or "offering" price inflated to match the "normal" items, even though the doorbuster may be a lower-tier product/brand.

In summary: You usually cannot purchase Black Friday doorbusters ahead of time because the store doesn't make them available to purchase. Their sole purpose is to drive people to "bust down the door", not to be sold for a profit before the event.

Touche. It appears everything you said is correct regarding SKU/Model changes, etc.

It seemed like a great idea at the time... :blush2:

The last post in this topic was posted 3049 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.