Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Advice - Walk away or ??

The last post in this topic was posted 2849 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Ok, I appreciate any comments in advance... I need some serious advice because I'm at the end of my rope and my mother is the most annoying a difficult person in the entire world.

I'll list the facts instead of writing a long essay. :)

- Single mother

- Age 56

- still married to my father but separated for about 10 years (long story)

- lives with boyfriend, incredible pain in the flowers and refuses to agree to any living situation we pose

- No income - has SSI benefits 698 a month income

- Medically disabled, still relatively independent

- no driver's license

- owns a trailer in Fauquier County VA (fairly rural area)

- Trailer is worth about 17k owes 25k

Basically she needs to move to something affordable which basically doesn't exist with her income. The trailer has pipe problems and barely has any running water that we cannot seem to get anyone to fix. They are clogged with sand and gunk coming in from the well system but nobody seems to care. I do not think she should rent the property out as she is in no position to become a landlord and I do not believe she could sell the property for anything near what she owes on it, espeically with the pipe problem.

So, I'm thinking she should just walk away from it but she is concerned about the property management company coming after her for the lot rent and how it will affect her credit and ability to rent anything in the future.

We also cannot get her approved for any kind of mortgage with her income and social services has thrown their hands up because they cannot help. Virginia no longer has a section 8 program and I cannot find any sort of housing assistance programs. Any low income apartment complexes we go to tell us she doesn't make enough money to be considered low income... I find that hillarious.

I cannot afford to pay her bills and my own family's bills and if she comes to live with us my husband will probably divorce me. Not to mention we do not have the room for her as we are infact in the process of downsizing so we can save up for a house.

So, please... I need guidance...what the hell should I (her) do?

Edited by cputrwz

I don't have any good advice, but considering that she has a live-in boyfriend who refuses to cooperate, the better... though not emotionally ideal... option would be to let the chips fall where they may.

If she walks away, it will definitely affect her credit and ability to rent, but that's not necessarily a one-way street to homelessness. She won't be renting high-end, though, that's for sure. Is she wedded to Virginia? If necessary, would she consider moving elsewhere?

If I may ask, why doesn't she have a DL? That, probably more than anything, limits her options.

I don't have any good advice, but considering that she has a live-in boyfriend who refuses to cooperate, the better... though not emotionally ideal... option would be to let the chips fall where they may.

If she walks away, it will definitely affect her credit and ability to rent, but that's not necessarily a one-way street to homelessness. She won't be renting high-end, though, that's for sure. Is she wedded to Virginia? If necessary, would she consider moving elsewhere?

If I may ask, why doesn't she have a DL? That, probably more than anything, limits her options.

She will not move out of VA because she won't be away from me and her doctors. She has never had a DL not even a learners permit. She couldn't drive anyways with her health and her mental "issues". I wouldn't want her behind a wheel! :D

I know its hard to ask people to tell me what to do but I really need someone to do just that. I called social services in hopes that they would help...but they did nothing. They went out to visit her and saw that her water pressure sucked and said "oh that's terrible" and that's about it. I wrote a letter to her district representative...they ignored me. I dunno who to turn to. This whole "you don't make enough money to be low income" stuff is squeezing a lemon me off.

I can't just throw my hands in the air and be like sorry you're on your own... its mom, ya know?

Does the boyfriend work, or have any income?

I'm presuming he is not on the loan, hence he stands nothing to lose other than the inconvenience of moving. I wish I could offer more help, but it sounds more and more like it hinges on him, and he'd shoot down anything you propose anyway.

ETA: Is the property management company responsible for the well upkeep?

Edited by Uncle Leo

Most states have laws stating that a spouse is responsible for his or her spouse. You might check with Legal Aid or your lawyer if its possible to require her husband to contribute to her support. If not, it might be worth getting a divorce for the property settlement between them, assuming he has anything.

Also - she might call social security if she is retirement age. She may be able to draw a check based on her spouse's work record. Has she applied for food stamps? The less she spends on food, the more there is for other bills.

Habitat for Humanity sometimes does repairs, or the local vocational school might take it on as a plumbing project for its plumbing students. She'd probably have to pay for parts, but not labor.

Contact the social worker at the local homeless shelter - he or she will have the best info on community resources that might benefit her.

Ok, I appreciate any comments in advance... I need some serious advice because I'm at the end of my rope and my mother is the most annoying a difficult person in the entire world.

I'll list the facts instead of writing a long essay. :)

- Single mother

- Age 56

- still married to my father but separated for about 10 years (long story)

- lives with boyfriend, incredible pain in the flowers and refuses to agree to any living situation we pose

- No income - has SSI benefits 698 a month income

- Medically disabled, still relatively independent

- no driver's license

- owns a trailer in Fauquier County VA (fairly rural area)

- Trailer is worth about 17k owes 25k

Basically she needs to move to something affordable which basically doesn't exist with her income. The trailer has pipe problems and barely has any running water that we cannot seem to get anyone to fix. They are clogged with sand and gunk coming in from the well system but nobody seems to care. I do not think she should rent the property out as she is in no position to become a landlord and I do not believe she could sell the property for anything near what she owes on it, espeically with the pipe problem.

So, I'm thinking she should just walk away from it but she is concerned about the property management company coming after her for the lot rent and how it will affect her credit and ability to rent anything in the future.

We also cannot get her approved for any kind of mortgage with her income and social services has thrown their hands up because they cannot help. Virginia no longer has a section 8 program and I cannot find any sort of housing assistance programs. Any low income apartment complexes we go to tell us she doesn't make enough money to be considered low income... I find that hillarious.

I cannot afford to pay her bills and my own family's bills and if she comes to live with us my husband will probably divorce me. Not to mention we do not have the room for her as we are infact in the process of downsizing so we can save up for a house.

So, please... I need guidance...what the hell should I (her) do?

http://www.hud.gov/local/index.cfm?state=va&topic=renting

According to the website, they show section 8 under HUD rental help. At 698 per month, she would be making less than 9,000 a year. From what I can tell - HUD median income for that area is about 22k per year. She should qualify as low-income, but I will tell you that if she does go into section 8 housing, she will likely not be able to legally have her boyfriend living with her. The issue with her is going to be the boyfriend because they are going to count his income if he has any, and that will affect whether she qualifies. Also, since she "owns" the trailer, it might also hinder her getting help because it's considered an asset which can be sold, even if she is underwater on it. If she walks away, it will affect her credit, but they cannot come after her SSI. Does the husband have any claim to the trailer since they are still married?

Have you tried calling the Central Virginia Housing Coalition? 540-604-9943

There has to be someone out there willing to give you advice based on her area. The hurdles she will have to deal with are that her boyfriend's income will be counted because he is living with her, and the fact that she technically "owns" the trailer. Would the bank consider a deed-in-lieu on the trailer? Could she file bk7 on the trailer and the lot and walk away? I wonder if it would be faster to rebuild her credit if she files bk7 rather than just walking away. I'm sorry that you have to struggle through this.

The last post in this topic was posted 2849 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.