Bloomingdales Amex Card Compromised

taxwizard

The last post in this topic was posted 3481 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I just got off the phone with the Bloomingdales Fraud Department, again,and, at some point in the conversation, after advising the department that Law Enforcement was going to subpoena not only all of the info on the fraudulent transactions, but also the IP address logged when the password, address change & telephone number change was requested that is tied to the session in which the changes were made. This will allow law enforcement to identify the ISP and further subpoena the ISP for a subscriber identification and physical location of the requesting computer. At that point, the Fraud Department "alluded" to the fact that it was entirely possible that it was THEIR system that was compromised.....not anything that I may have exposed myself to. I found that interesting.

I just got off the phone with the Bloomingdales Fraud Department, again,and, at some point in the conversation, after advising the department that Law Enforcement was going to subpoena not only all of the info on the fraudulent transactions, but also the IP address logged when the password, address change & telephone number change was requested that is tied to the session in which the changes were made. This will allow law enforcement to identify the ISP and further subpoena the ISP for a subscriber identification and physical location of the requesting computer. At that point, the Fraud Department "alluded" to the fact that it was entirely possible that it was THEIR system that was compromised.....not anything that I may have exposed myself to. I found that interesting.

IP address, Web site, computer, etc. Logged in at New egg.com, or Bloomies Webb site?

Bloomies, according to both Bloomies and law enforcement.

That's what I've been trying to say for the last week. I know the Bloomies site very well, and their policies and procedures even better, and with all the variables you've outlined it seemed clear to me how it actually happened. You kept saying the Bloomies site and profile was pure, but they only thing keeping someone from doing as I suggested was your Bloomies password.

You've said numerous times your computer is hard wired. Who else is on the same home network?

SBA: Bloomies Fraud Department admitted, as you suggested, that the thief was knowledgeable...........and did, in fact, change BOTH addresses and phone numbers...........in BOTH the "Profile" and "My Wallet" sections of their website. It was only when Bloomies "tested" the addres change & telephone number change, using whatever database they referred to in our call, "badges of fraud" were suspected and the card accounts were Both (Store & Amex) shut down.

SBA: What I gleaned from my conversation with Bloomingdales Fraud Dept.last evening was that it was not altogether impossible that BLOOMINGDALE'S website was "hacked" and their customers information was, in fact, compromised, not that my computer security was breached, but theirs, much like when other vendors security has been compromised in the past.

OK, I think I've got it. So they have on ongoing investigation, and it may part of a larger scheme which involved multiple Bloomies profiles and/or credit accounts.

Separate item of interest: do you know you can edit your own posts on this site, if you do so from the bottom of your own post within about 30 minutes of when you originally posted?

Edited by SBA

The only update is that my New Bloomingdales Amex card arrived in today's mail.

Please let us know if you discover how the card was compromised. I use my Amex plat a lot and the 4 digit code is printed on the front. The darned thing is one of those numbers like 1234 that you can't forget. I hope that it doesn't make the card more theftable in restaurants where I try to use only Amex.

As an aside, a response to a comment you made about delinquent filers was my first post on CB! Everything's been cool since I got the reconsideration, file on time, no audits, no more problems, and I had them withdraw the lien last year! Otherwise it would have been on there til 5/13 according to my older CRs. Toes were the daze.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=403402&view=findpost&p=3812102

SBA: When speaking with the Bloomies Fraud Dept. this evening, I advised the Bloomies Rep that I wanted to keep the "block" on both the Store card and the Amex card until the investigation was completed. She understood and agreed to my request. I also emptied all allowable information from both the "Profile" and "My Wallet" sections on Bloomingdales website for the present. The longer this continues, the more the Bloomingdales Fraud Rep agrees that it's looking more & more like this is a case of widespread compromise of Bloomingdales website data.

The last post in this topic was posted 3481 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.