Sign in to follow this  
BobWang

The Master Spousal / Non-Spousal Authorized User AU Reporting Thread

I've been added to a Capital Once card that opened in 1989, but no address or SSN was needed.

I'm assuming that means it will not actually hit my reports?

So my wife has a Barclay's usairways cc with $6k cl. My credit is blah with a couple old tl's but nothing current until my 2 cap1 cars are received and reported to the CR's. If she adds me as a au to her card, it should help boost my credit score right? Especially since she has had it for more then 10 years with perfect payment history and she currently make about $500-700 a month in Payne ts to the card.

I've been added to a Capital Once card that opened in 1989, but no address or SSN was needed.

It may hit your reports. I have personally seen a case where an AU household member (address the same) had the new AU card hit all 3 CR. This was without a social or address given. Just a name given.

I have seen a case where an AU showed up on TU and EX, but not EQ. It was a case where a name was given, no address or SSN. The donor card and AU shared the same zip, that's it. Was enough to correlate for 2 of the CRAs.

I'm an AU on my wife's Amex PRG. It started reporting on my credit this month with an opening date of 1-2015. Will it backdate to my 1997 D* date?

When my wife opened this account it was her first Amex in her name. She is an AU on my accounts dated to 2013. On her new log in it said 2015 for a few days then reverted back to 2013. I haven't check her reports but I would image if her log in says 2013 then it will d* her account back to 2013?

It may hit your reports. I have personally seen a case where an AU household member (address the same) had the new AU card hit all 3 CR. This was without a social or address given. Just a name given.

I have seen a case where an AU showed up on TU and EX, but not EQ. It was a case where a name was given, no address or SSN. The donor card and AU shared the same zip, that's it. Was enough to correlate for 2 of the CRAs.

Yep, just like you said here.

No SSN or address, just my name.

It's reporting on EX now, but not the other two.

Does Clearview FCU Report Authorized Users ?

I just wrapped up a Chapter 7 BK

I am ready to start rebuilding my credit.

I have not applied for anything yet.

I want to get added as an AU to boost my score before I start

applying for 1 auto loand and 2 CC's - prob Cap1 and Credit One

My friend (different name & address) offered to add me as an AU

to his Clearview FCU CC (Seasoned with good payment history)

I called Clearview two times and they said that AU's do report

the same as the cardholder.

Can anyone confirm that Clearview FCU does report AU's ?

Is there any way I can find out for sure ?

Add USAA to the list that does.

USAA reports my Rate Advantage MC to her TU and EXP. Added spouse, was on reports within I wanna say a week.

Might want to put Fidelity(FIA) up there, even though Im pretty sure it's Bank of America, and BOA is already on the list, but might as well be thorough and put FIA up there even if it is BOA.

I added her to that one, but haven't seen it pop up yet. Going on only a week or so. Card hasnt even come in yet, Im guessing once its activated itll report. Ill let yall know.

Newbie question.My credit report shows Barclays card opened by my parents in 2001, reporting me as AU since 2005. They closed it in 2010 (good standing, no lates) but it will report til 2020. It is my oldest card reporting. My question is: parents have asked if it would help for them to reopen this card as it will drop off in 2020 but that is 5 years and I need 7 to have a clean report. Sometimes credit stuff is counterintuitive so I want to be sure there isnt anything negative about them doing this. Should I leave it alone or closer to the drop off date?? Will Barclays backdate a card to the original 2001 date? Thanks for any help

Newbie question.My credit report shows Barclays card opened by my parents in 2001, reporting me as AU since 2005. They closed it in 2010 (good standing, no lates) but it will report til 2020. It is my oldest card reporting. My question is: parents have asked if it would help for them to reopen this card as it will drop off in 2020 but that is 5 years and I need 7 to have a clean report. Sometimes credit stuff is counterintuitive so I want to be sure there isnt anything negative about them doing this. Should I leave it alone or closer to the drop off date?? Will Barclays backdate a card to the original 2001 date? Thanks for any help

Do your parents have any older cards they can make you an AU of? Especially an Amex?

Thanks for reply. No they don't have anything older. I am already AU on another card of 8 years of age. Parents never had a lot of cards and they changed issuers every few years when my dad's professional organization issued a new favored card. If they open a new AMEX now would that be a good idea? a) what makes Amex so good and B) if I am trying to think long haul 7+ years here would parents opening account now and putting me on in 3 o 4 or 5 years after its aged, help my credit in the future. I am trying to lay out a long term plan.

My credit report shows Barclays card opened by my parents in 2001, reporting me as AU since 2005. They closed it in 2010

<snip>

parents have asked if it would help for them to reopen this card as it will drop off in 2020

Generally, no card issuers will reopen an account that has been closed for years.

If your parents opened another Barclays card, it would have today as the opening date (not 2001).

Amex is the exception - they report new cards as opened in the "Member Since" year, the year you got your first Amex card.

It is still helping you to have the closed AU account reporting until 2020.

For your long term planning, you need cards reporting as individual under your name.

AU cards don't hurt, and sometimes help a little, but they will not build your long-term credit profile.

Joint accounts will work, but there are downsides to doing this -- even with your parents.

And only a few issuers still do joint accounts.

I appreciate your clear explanation. Now I get why Amex is always asked about. I do have 3 credit cards I have paid off except for a small balance kept on them to keep utilization low. My problem is I dont have a lot of income in last year as started a business so I cant apply for more. I am trying to come up with a plan to increase credit score at least a little for this year as income slowly increases using tweaks here and there until I can show enough income. Would you mind going into more depth about the joint accounts downsides? Do you know the "few issuers?"

Master Joint Account vs AU Thread

Discover, BOA, NFCU, a few more offer joint accounts.

Some negatives:

- Your parents could mess up your credit (accidental 30-day late).

- You could mess up your parents' credit (accidental 30-day late).

- You can't fully control the card - especially utilization (reporting $0 each month).

- With most issuers, you have to close the account to remove a joint owner.

- I'm not sure if/how you could get the account off your reports if/when you no longer want it - may stick for 10 years.

I'm an AU on my wife's Amex PRG. It started reporting on my credit this month with an opening date of 1-2015. Will it backdate to my 1997 D* date?

When my wife opened this account it was her first Amex in her name. She is an AU on my accounts dated to 2013. On her new log in it said 2015 for a few days then reverted back to 2013. I haven't check her reports but I would image if her log in says 2013 then it will d* her account back to 2013?

All Amex AU accounts report as new, regardless of MSD. An AU on that account opened today would show as March 2015.

Thank you again tweak for the clear info. If you havent lost patience with me, I would appreciate you and any other knowledgble members weighing in on my scenario: 1) 6 years out before baddies fall off ( 2) will show very limited income for this year and next IF business makes it, if not go back to salary

So I dont have a lot of options to open credit cards on my own but want to position myself to be ready to improve future credit scores even if it is years down the line. Basically all I can control NOW is utilization, not making any further mistakes, andpossibly working with my parents very good credit 35 year history.

Regarding the negatives of joint accounts--my parents will never miss a payment/be late, and I am committed to not screwing up plus my mom would watch the account carefully. Do I have to use the credit card myself to reap any benefits or would parents use establish a pattern?

What I cant figure out if it would help or hurt me is the effect of new joint accounts I might open now? 1) I know it will lower my AAof A (only have 4 cards on report) but do I bite the bullet now and open some joint accounts with parents so that in 6 years I have two accounts that are 6 years old? or 2) is the hit of opening new cards (hard pull) and lowering AAofA not worth the gain? Can anyone weigh in on this?

I do appreciate the help as it seems everything has so many ramifications.

wibuckyfan1,

You don't have to use the joint account card yourself to get the credit reporting history.

In fact, you don't even have to physically possess the card.

If you are not planning to apply for new credit for a long time (years from now), then the short term hit of new accounts doesn't matter.

You may want to start your own thread for more specific advice tailored to your personal situation.

Secured cards in your name are also an option.

The best solution depends on your credit profile - what negatives and what open accounts you have today.

Joint cards are not an option many people choose to build credit, but they _might_ be appropriate in your situation.

ETA: I see in your post above, you already have 3 open cards. You probably don't need any more than that at this time.

Edited by tweak

REPORTS

BofA

Barclays

CapOne

Chase

Citi (May not report to Eq)

Credit One

Discover (Reports to all 3)

Firestone (you have to call and request the form to fill out)

GECRB

Macy's

NFCU

USAA

Walmart (GECRB)

WFNNB

Zales

DOESN'T REPORT

Amazon.com

HSBC (Before CapOne takeover)

Jared

Kays

Lexus

RBS

UMB

non-spousal chase isn't reporting on mine.

non-spousal lowes is reporting on mine.

non-spousal chase isn't reporting on mine.

Same address?

No, never has but used to report on at least one.

Has anyone tried adding an AU to Penfed credit cards? They do ask for the AU's SSN and DOB on their form but representatives are certain they do not report to AU's credit.

I am looking for some recent information.

Does B of A report the original CC open date or the date the AU is added? If anyone has added an AU recently that could let me know would be very much appreciated. I'm looking to add some AAOA for my DW.

This is for a spouse, but any recent experiences I would appreciate.