Sign in to follow this  
rpina1

Salvage Title friendly bank list

I think it might be worthy to compile a list of banks that will finance a salvage title vehicle. I deal with financing salvage on a daily basis and so for those out there shopping it is important to know that most banks won't deal with a salvage title.

Banks that will finance salvage :

- Navy Federal Credit Union

- USAA

DCU - Maybe

Per DCU, loan can only be 80% of the appraised value. Customer must pay for a DCU approved appraiser. Also does not allow GAP. So if there is a total loss and your insurance company does not fully pay (which is very likely), you will be responsible for the loan.

Edited by rpina1

I buy cars with salvaged title for cash and run them into the ground. A salvaged title (may or may not) mean that the car is unsafe but once the title is branded as such getting financing becomes a real problem along with selling the vehicle.

Please no opinions about salvage titles. This thread only serves to list actual lenders for salvage title vehicles.

Liability insurance is usually not a problem. Getting "full coverage" is a problem because the car has already been written off once. Insurance companies consider it worthless if it gets totaled again.

Liability insurance is usually not a problem. Getting "full coverage" is a problem because the car has already been written off once. Insurance companies consider it worthless if it gets totaled again.

Just as a FYI, Progressive will write collision/comp and "loan payoff" (gap) insurance on a salvage title.

Never had an issue with getting full coverage on R titled cars. And 6 out of the 7 cars I own are R title. I own a salvage yard... so I just keep the nice ones I see once in awhile.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I recently talked with a manager at Springleaf financial. They WILL underwite a salvage title vehicle. They did mention that they hate doing it, but they WILL do it.

From what I have heard from customers, it is basically treated as a title loan and the terms are horrible.

I got the salvage car in cash from salvageautosauction at a great deal. This runs very well on roads, and adds to my car collection.

Old post but I found it useful and would like to update.  As a non-veteran, I had an extremely hard time finding a bank to finance a salvage/lemon title car I found.  PenFed offered 50%, but I called over 30 credit unions and some banks who all said they don't touch branded title cars.  My last try paid off and Polish American Credit Union in Michigan financed 90% and was super easy to deal with!  The only problem is they are old school at the moment and you cant do the process online.

2 hours ago, EdatAutoSource said:

So its 2020 now, can I get a updated list of banks that will lend on a rebuilt/ branded title

https://www.lendingtree.com/auto/buying-a-car-with-a-salvage-title/

There are few lenders willing to provide a salvage title auto loan. Westlake Financial is one of them, but most lenders will not. This is largely because it’s almost impossible to get collision insurance for a salvage car — in other words, the lender probably won’t get its money back if the car gets into a crash. To buy a salvage car, you would probably have to pay for it in cash, or take out a personal loan, which tend to have higher interest rates than auto loans.

On 1/7/2014 at 4:03 AM, rpina1 said:

Please no opinions about salvage titles. This thread only serves to list actual lenders for salvage title vehicles.

On 8/7/2014 at 3:52 AM, rpina1 said:

This thread is only dedicated to banks that will lend against a salvage title.

Ok.