Sign in to follow this  
harmonie

Pissed!!!

Okay so I was house hunting and came across this cute vintage Victorian style home. I got out and looked at it as there were no 'No Trespassing' signs. I looked around to see if it could be fixed or updated. along the side and the back was this 3 wire fence. I had never seen this before and there was no signage that said it was wired so I just touched the top of it and {{{SHOCKED}}}! I would have never touched it if I knew. I was looking to see how much land would come with the house to see if it was worth it to me to find the owner. Now I'm mad and I still feel that shock and it's been an hour. There is no signage anywhere and the house is dilapidated, but I'm mad as @@#@ about this. What can be done legally. There is nothing that says do not enter, no trespassing, wired, electrical...nothing. I had my kids with me for God's sake! What if they had touched it! OMG I am poker hot mad.

Edited by harmonie

I think most people don't need a sign to tell them to stay off another person's property. Hopefully your kids saw this so they know for the future that going on someone else's property isn't a thing you should do.

I think most people don't need a sign to tell them to stay off another person's property. Hopefully your kids saw this so they know for the future that going on someone else's property isn't a thing you should do.

Yes you do Sweetheart. Signage is always needed. I was merely trying to find out who owns it and if they would like to sell. This is how it's done when there is no address. You need not reply.

+1 on the basic fact that no one invited you to be there means "no trespassing." Traditionally a house that is for sale has a "for sale" sign. You're lucky you didn't get shot.

You can safely find out who owns a property and how much acreage by checking county tax maps. In many counties, Google Maps shows property lines.

And if you're going to live in the country you need to become familiar with electric fences (or taking the safe path, assume that every fence is electric). Very bad form to try to climb over anyone's fence whether it's electric or not. And now YOU want to sue THEM? WTF? Stay out of my neighborhood, sweetie.

Edited by mk_378

+1 on the basic fact that no one invited you to be there means "no trespassing." Traditionally a house that is for sale has a "for sale" sign. You're lucky you didn't get shot.

You can safely find out who owns a property and how much acreage by checking county tax maps.

[/quote

True I could have checked the county records but I needed the address. The fence is beside a public road where any passerby can touch it. It is about 3 feet from the main road. It covers about half of the front of the property and then it goes down the side and back of the house. The house is old and trashed but looks like something that might be able to be fixed with a lot of care. The mailbox is torn down and thrown on the porch and I wanted to get the numbers. If there is not a trespassing sign, anybody can come on your property. Your driveway and walkways are public domains and without signage any person can use them.

Closest firehouse or post office can give you addresses. In this part of the country you can get shot doing that. You might be right, but you'd be dead.

If there is not a trespassing sign, anybody can come on your property.

Your driveway and walkways are public domains and without signage any person can use them.

1. I think not.

2. You weren't on the driveway, were you?

I can find places I've been on a map without an exact address. If you're going to do something like this again, carry a camera and a GPS and you can easily gather enough information from the road to locate the place in the county records.

Edited by mk_378

What is with the influx of people that keep putting me on Frosty's side? WTF is going on?

Also, Darwin seems to have failed to follow through with this one.

What is with the influx of people that keep putting me on Frosty's side? WTF is going on?

These new people make Frosty seem mature and well grounded. This is awesome. :rofl:

Yes you do Sweetheart. Signage is always needed. I was merely trying to find out who owns it and if they would like to sell. This is how it's done when there is no address. You need not reply.

:blink::rofl:

Look, crazy, I'm just trying to help. Do you know what happens to people who prance around another's property? A little shock is the least of your worries. You were trespassing, plain and simple. And you had your kids with you while doing this? Mother Of The Year, right there. Do you cook meth with them too? Bonding? Jesus H.

You can safely find out who owns a property and how much acreage by checking county tax maps.

True I could have checked the county records but I needed the address. The fence is beside a public road where any passerby can touch it. It is about 3 feet from the main road. It covers about half of the front of the property and then it goes down the side and back of the house. The house is old and trashed but looks like something that might be able to be fixed with a lot of care. The mailbox is torn down and thrown on the porch and I wanted to get the numbers. If there is not a trespassing sign, anybody can come on your property. Your driveway and walkways are public domains and without signage any person can use them.

You were not on the driveway, walkway, or floating in the air above it. You tried climbing an electric fence, zapped your ladybits, and are now ten shades of pissy. Get over it.

:angry: I'm usually right. You were on Jeopardy, you know the feeling.

These new people make Frosty seem mature and well grounded. This is awesome. :rofl:

I AM mature and well-grounded. :angry:

Also, F the multiquote. I almost pulled a Giraffy...

Edited by Bad Doctor Frost

Add me to the long list of people in this thread who think you're crazy for

1 - trespassing

2 - trespassing with your KIDS present

3 - having the nerve to be indignant that you got zapped by someone's electric fence while you were TRESPASSING.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: <--- I am laughing at you, not with you.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Give it time.

I AM mature and well-grounded.

A good reason to stay away from live wires.

Edited by mk_378

If there is not a trespassing sign, anybody can come on your property. Your driveway and walkways are public domains and without signage any person can use them.

Oh, no. No, dear. Not even close to being true. Unless there are unicorns living in the yard, in which case, all normal laws and ordinances do not apply.

If there is not a trespassing sign, anybody can come on your property. Your driveway and walkways are public domains and without signage any person can use them.

You can walk up and knock on the door of a house if you think someone is there who you have a legitimate reason to visit. With a no-trespassing sign you'd better have a damn good reason, such as being invited.

An obviously uninhabited house, for longest life stay entirely off the property without specific permission of the owner. Maybe you might get away with looking around a little if a "for sale" sign were posted.

Edited by mk_378

I AM mature and well-grounded. :angry:

Apparently Hermione was better "grounded" in this instance.

As for the 3 wire fence......

Who the eff doesn't know that those are electrified? Seriously, that is a no-brainer.

Fences makes great neighbors. My fence serves a two-fold purpose - it keeps my dog from wondering when she goes out to do her business, and it keeps unwanted people out of my yard. When I see a fence, I assume it means the owner doesn't want me on the other side unless I've been invited, in which case I would enter through a gate. The fence in this scenario served its purpose; it stopped you from proceeding onto property where you were not invited. Having lived out in the country for a while as a teen, I'm familiar with those three-wire fences which are typically used to contain cows, horses, etc. I don't know how much voltage normally runs through a fence like that, but I imagine it's a good amount if it's set to shock livestock who would otherwise try to make a break for freedom.

<wondering if the OP could go back to the property and see if the fence had a sign for the company who installed it>

I need me one of them there electric frnce thingys

My backyard is fenced. It's a chain link fence. Around the inside top of said fence you'll see something like this:

large278245.jpg

That's an electric line. I don't know anyone who wouldn't know that's an electric line. I have neither no trespassing nor electric fence signs posted, and I live in a typical residential area with 0.5-1 acre lots. We have lots of cats running around our neighborhood, and one of our dogs thought nothing to jumping the fence to go chase one. That line completely stopped it.