Sign in to follow this  
Burgerwars

Hello Canada?

Any fun accounts to sign up for as I temporarily live in CA? I have an address there... I'm gonna return in a month but could sign up for an account and then do an address change to the US.

Would TD give me an account and then allow me to be eligible for some of their juicy US products that I'm not currently eligible for due to my US address??

TIA!

Any fun accounts to sign up for as I temporarily live in CA? I have an address there... I'm gonna return in a month but could sign up for an account and then do an address change to the US.

Would TD give me an account and then allow me to be eligible for some of their juicy US products that I'm not currently eligible for due to my US address??

TIA!

TD Bank in the U.S. will give checking accounts to just about anyone (U.S. residents and TD Canada Trust customers) but getting a TD Bank credit card you need to live in a state with TD Bank branches. I don't think your visit to Canada would get you anything more from TD Bank than what U.S. customers can apply for. TD Bank is run as a separate bank.

In Canada I suggest getting a checking account with Royal Bank while you're there. Go into a branch to talk with them. You may be able to get a secured credit card with them. You'll then be able to open an account with RBC Bank (USA). You then can link accounts at both banks to do online transfers. Don't forget about U.S. FATCA laws. As a U.S. person you do need to file a report online each year if the balance of foreign accounts goes over US$10,000. There's an extended requirement if the total balances are over $50,000. Also, include any interest on your tax returns.

That said, living in Canada for a month is more of just a visit. U.S. citizens usually can visit there for up to six months at a time without anything more than a passport. Unless you have other ties to the country, maybe at least having a Canadian social insurance number, the bank may just look at you as a visitor, and offer such products accordingly.

Edited by Burgerwars