Sign in to follow this  
FicoChampion

Here is how to get Experian to delete old addresses

An update of an old thread.

I tried this and it still works. Called EX and spoked using layman's terms like I had never ever seen a credit report in my life. Explained one of my family members recently had an episode of identity theft from his old address, which prompted me to access my CR and was genuinely surprised to notice so many inaccuracies on my personal information. As expected, the lady refused to delete any address that ties to any TL.

Called again 2 hrs later and used the same story, but this time explained the addresses were inaccurate like OP suggested but asked to change either the street names or the apartment numbers. She did and deleted some similar but duplicated addresses. For those that she didn't delete, the minor change of addresses allowed me to dispute online, and this morning, they were gone!

I went from having 18 addresses, many of which were variations of some sort, to 3. The address identification field of my BOA CO is now empty and not tied to any address. It's probably also worth to mention that many of my closed positive TLs are also not tie to any address now. Not entirely sure that if this would result in any unintended ramification.

Just wanted to bring this back up and let people know it still works with EX. Though one caveat, I had two addresses and had very little success getting anything changed when I tried to bring them both up together. I broke it down into two separate calls. I tackled the hardest one first, it had 2 bads and 2 goods attached. I took the route that the address number was incorrect, he was hesitant at first however I had noticed earlier that in my hard pulls that one of my creditors had pulled my credit with that address attached recently. I brought this up as a concern for fraud and that someone was using an address I had no control over. He quickly modified it as requested and we finished.

If all else fails you may try applying for a credit card using that old address so that you have the same hard pull using an old address situation on your record to reference, I'm guessing this guy may have ran pretty quickly to avoid their own liability for allowing a bad address to continue on record after having been told it was being used fraudulently to obtain credit.

While that was pending I called back about an address that had 2 goods attached, did not take much explanation these were 10+ year old accounts. The guy was happy to remove the address.

When I received confirmation for both the delete and the address update back a few hours later I went online and disputed the previously modified address and it deleted a few hours later.

I have mostly started to do this after realizing how much information these companies keep and how much of my past has been exposed by these recent breaches. It's time we take control of our information and my objective here is to make sure these companies have as little as possible about me which means current address only.

Im try it, but if you call and say the numbers are wrong wont that be like admitting you lived at those address? Wont they come back and say you admitted to living here even if numbers were off? I already called and the lady said she couldnt delete any, so i guess trying wouldnt hurt at this point.

Tu and Equifax already deleted every address I asked them too, but Experian wont.

Edited by Killbadcredit

I don't think it really matters killbadcredit. I'm not sure your level 1 customer service people are taking notes on much of anything and the second step when you request the delete online appears to be entirely automated and only verifies that the address is tied to a TL or not. I literally requested the delete less than 5 minutes after receiving the email confirmation of the update. I suppose you may run into a problem if you call them to delete?

Tried today to get them to edit the address tied to my BK and was unsuccessful. Said I had to provide proof that the number was incorrect.

That was the second rep. The first one wouldn't touch any of my addresses with a 10 foot pole. It was like he was from special services or something.

He told me "I didn't understand how credit reports work."

I tried this and it didn't work... apparently because the address is tied to old tradelines. sad.gif Should I try again?

Yes, do try again. I spoke to a rep and stated that I had been trying to update my address as it was being reported incorrectly and I've notified my creditors of this change - I got an email this afternoon with an updated report showing only my current address. I'm now researching what letter I need to send to the CRA or CA disputing the neg accts.

Good Luck!!

If you dispute the accounts now not associated to an address when the CA validates the debt won't the old address come back into play since they are reporting the address of the account?

I have an idea... if my bad TL is attached to my old address,1234 Ralph st, and if I change my Experian credit monitoring account address or do a hard pull with 234 Ralph st, then have both address listed on EXP, can I call exp and have them switch address and point out a mistake?

You think that should remove the address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the second rep. The first one wouldn't touch any of my addresses with a 10 foot pole. It was like he was from special services or something.

He told me "I didn't understand how credit reports work."

This is hilarious and downright sad to say to a customer.

Im new to this- wish I would have known all of this info a year ago! We moved in July and I updated our address with current creditors but have three collections accounts that I want GONE.

Anyway- I started with the opt-out. Did that yesterday (2/26/18). I also pulled my TU and EF reports free online- EX said I had to call or mail in a request for that report. I will be calling today.

I read to give the opt-out a couple of weeks to work. In the mean time, I want to go over all of my CRs and find what TLs are reporting to what addresses (I have 8+ addresses on some of my reports... some as old as 2003). I also want to highlight any negatives on my CRs before I start removing addresses so I can see which negatives are tied to which address.

From what I am reading, TU and EQ allow you to dispute addresses online and EX is like a chastity belt trying to get addresses removed.

Where should I start after opt-out and after I identify which TLs are reporting which address? If TLs are reporting my current address then there doesnt seem like there is much I could do about removing addresses...