Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone added their child as an authorized user?

The last post in this topic was posted 2962 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

In another year I am thinking of adding her to my Zync and Discovet tobyeach her responsibility and help her get her own student card. Has anyone done this? My dad got me a card when I was 18 to start my credit building, and I think her bring an AU will help in addition to her own. Thoughts? If course, she would have a job and have to pay her charges. Thanks.

I have done it. My son has an Amex, RBS, Cap1 and Navy card (over $50K available). Last time I looked his score was 790. He is only 18. He has had credit cards since he was 13. I think it is good because he doesn't feel the desire to apply for his own cards with subpar rewards and low limits, and at the same time I can monitor his spending and teach him along the way.

I recently got my 9 year old his own debit card at ING direct. I'm not ready to give him the big limits yet. lol

In another year I am thinking of adding her to my Zync and Discovet tobyeach her responsibility and help her get her own student card. Has anyone done this? My dad got me a card when I was 18 to start my credit building, and I think her bring an AU will help in addition to her own. Thoughts? If course, she would have a job and have to pay her charges. Thanks.

I added all of my children as authorized users at the age of 13.

The funny thing, they have higher credit scores than I do.

Go figure !!!!

Edited by Agent 2207

Thanks! I had no idea a child under 18 could be added. I will add my 15 and 17 year old to my good cards, ie not my rebuilders that are hanging around. Great way to teach responsibility early.

I just put all three of mine on two cards, figuring that will be enough to generate a file for them. They are 16, 18 and 19. The 18 years old is very responsible and mature with her money. She asked about getting her own card and applied for the BOA student card but got rejected. They told her she didn't have any credit history and would need a cosigner. (She also probably makes less than necessary for one on her own due to the new rules regarding student cards.) I don't really want to cosign since I'd be on it forever; We'll see what happens with the AU accounts and try again in six months or so.

My 8 year old is an Authorized user on my Citicard LOL .. should have seen his face wheni showed him a credit card with his name on it.. :yahoo: ... that face lasted a whole 2 minutes until he seen me cut the card up. :swoon:

I just put all three of mine on two cards, figuring that will be enough to generate a file for them. They are 16, 18 and 19. The 18 years old is very responsible and mature with her money. She asked about getting her own card and applied for the BOA student card but got rejected. They told her she didn't have any credit history and would need a cosigner. (She also probably makes less than necessary for one on her own due to the new rules regarding student cards.) I don't really want to cosign since I'd be on it forever; We'll see what happens with the AU accounts and try again in six months or so.

My 18 years old son applied for the BOA 123 card and was rejected at first.

After a call for reconsideration and providing the name of the college he was approved with a $600.00 credit limit.

I was placed on his card as an authorized user so I could monitor his account. I did not have to be a co-owner of the account.

The new card is about four months old and he called and was granted a credit line increase to $1500.00.

Suggest you call for reconsideration of your daughters rejection.

Hope this is helpful.

I'll be adding my daughter to a card in a few months when she hits 18.

wonder if I should start with my stepchildren (as young as 6)? :)

The last post in this topic was posted 2962 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.