Sign in to follow this  
aristocrat

New Credit Recommendations

So I became debt free mid last year and opened the cap one secured card with a 2k limit. I have no other trade lines on my report with only one other line listed as paid from an old school loan and it is on my experian. Freecreditreport lists my exp 747, equi 730, trans 730. What would be my best bets for opening new lines of credit? Secured loan? I'd really like to get an AMEX but was denied back in April. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze

CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, CtSoxFan, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere

Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, TeeSharice

So I became debt free mid last year and opened the cap one secured card with a 2k limit. I have no other trade lines on my report with only one other line listed as paid from an old school loan and it is on my experian. Freecreditreport lists my exp 747, equi 730, trans 730. What would be my best bets for opening new lines of credit? Secured loan? I'd really like to get an AMEX but was denied back in April. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would reapply again with american express, start of with the zync and this way you'd get your foot in the door. By the way you have excellent scores. I'd go for it. Good luck!

Just applied online for AMEX zync and was approved...new card in a week! I am thinking about doing one more and am thinking a 10k secured card with wells fargo...thoughts?

Got my Zync card in the mail today...when I log online it says I have no spending limit...obviously I'm not gonna run it up but I was assuming it would say some type of limit. What other cards should I go for?

Got my Zync card in the mail today...when I log online it says I have no spending limit...obviously I'm not gonna run it up but I was assuming it would say some type of limit. What other cards should I go for?

Congrats on being debt free and getting the Zync.

With the scores listed (realizing that they may not be true scores) you might try for an unsecured card. I would also look into a credit union as well.

From what I've read and learned about NFCU they are pretty good with approving those with limited credit. You have to join as a member first and then apply. I just applied for membership today, waiting for the final word before I apply for a card, but people who have NFCU seem to love them.

Congratulation's on your american zync card. I would try with Nfcu if you can become a member. They give excellent line of credit. Also if you don't have a walmart card I would apply and get the free fico score., and every 4 months you can ask for credit line increases. Good luck!

Let that one report to your credit first. See what the results are. what ever month you decide put all your bills on the card for one month. let that utilization report to the bureau. then apply for another card. they will have to base your new credit limit off of your reported balance. and it could be 3 times what ever you have reporting.

So Amex reported this to my bureau a couple weeks after account opened. A bit upset cause my bill wasn't due and I had 375 on the car with a 500 limit on the card so it showed a high utilization on my report and lowered my score a bit. Any card recommendations? I'd like to go for a different cap one or a chase...any thoughts?

If your Zync has NPSL utilization shouldn't be a factor. Your scores were lowered because of the inquiry and AAOA hit.

You might not get the high limits you're looking for, but Chase Freedom and Discover More shouldn't be out of reach for you. The Walmart card suggested is also a good idea. Just be sure to garden after your spree.

Edited by Hitch

Applied for Chase Freedom and was approved! My next step in a couple months is to go for another card as the cap one secured has no rewards but a high rate.

Just found out that I was approved for a 5k limit which is very nice. Largest limit yet! I hate having the 2k trapped with cap one secured with no chance of graduation but it will at least show available credit for the time being.

So applied for the Amex Delta card and received a 3k balance. I fly fairly frequently. Now have the zync and delta...should I keep both? Now have a visa, secured master, 2 amex reporting on cbr. What should I be looking for next?

You should most definitely keep them both! You need aging on your accounts! Also, on your Amex Delta, keep in mind that if you use it right away and PIF, they are known for increasing your credit limit if you call them right after your second statement closes! Also talk to Cap One to see if they would unsecure your secured card; they used to do it several years ago, not much experience with them recently. But you do not want to close it because it would affect your AAOA. Discover may also be an option for you now and like it was previously suggested, try to join a credit union, Navy Federal is a great option if you are eligible, since they are usually pretty generous with their credit limits. Also, open a membership and a checking account with USAA and see if you get a pre-approval pop up for their Mastercard. If not, wait a few days and apply for it, they pull Equifax generally.