Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

HOW I GOT MY BANKRUPTCY DELETED

I’ve disputed my 2013 bk dismissed ch 7 several times through different companies. All bk s have been removed other than exp. At one time, I had it removed from exp but a different dispute from the cfpb triggered a manual review and it came back. There is only one address attached to the bk , no other trades.

I’m so close to getting it removed but I think I beat up my file. I have opted out of lexisnexis, about to mail in my sagestream, ars opt out letter now.

Been reading some strategies to remove the address but any other advise would be gold!! My business loans are all riding on this stupid bk. So depressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'll give the original poster an A for daring and innovation and an F for ethics.

Ethics???

Do you mean the same ethics that were involved in the banks writing all the bad mortgages?

Maybe the same ethics that were used when credit card companies would rate jack consumers for no reason.

Perhaps the ethics that were applied when Wells Fargo thought they would open up accounts in their customers names without their consent.

The OP shared his experience with others to help them.

There is no ethics in finance its just business.

I'm curious---if a BK is reporting correctly and the other information on your CR is correct, don't you you have to shave the truth in some manner in order to get a correctly reporting BK off your report? I understand it isn't "illegal", but is it ethical.?

Edited by chicagorich

Well, I'll give the original poster an A for daring and innovation and an F for ethics.

Ethics???

Do you mean the same ethics that were involved in the banks writing all the bad mortgages?

Maybe the same ethics that were used when credit card companies would rate jack consumers for no reason.

Perhaps the ethics that were applied when Wells Fargo thought they would open up accounts in their customers names without their consent.

I'm curious---if a BK is reporting correctly and the other information on your CR is correct, don't you you have to shave the truth in some manner in order to get a correctly reporting BK off your report? I understand it isn't "illegal", but is it ethical.?

Who gives a flying cr*p whether it is ethical or not.....if it isn't illegal who cares.......maybe the CRAs should do a better job at checking the legitimacy of someone's BK dispute..........I am just glad that 2 of the 3 were kind enough to delete my BK

Ethics???

Who gives a flying cr*p whether it is ethical or not.....if it isn't illegal who cares.......maybe the CRAs should do a better job at checking the legitimacy of someone's BK dispute..........I am just glad that 2 of the 3 were kind enough to delete my BK

What is "legitimacy of BK dispute"?

Either a BK is reporting correctly or it isn't. If it is not, dispute away.

All I'm saying is that if the BK is reporting correctly, in order to knock it off, you'd have to somehow, someway shave the truth to dispute it. That isn't illegal. But face it, it is unethical.

Ethics???

All I'm saying is that if the BK is reporting correctly, in order to knock it off, you'd have to somehow, someway shave the truth to dispute it. That isn't illegal. But face it, it is unethical.

By dispute legitimacy, I mean the CRAs should do a better job at weeding out those disputes that are clearly BS. I don't know how much effort the CRAs put in to checking public records but for the two CRAs that deleted my BK, all they had to do was have someone go down to the actual court and check the records to confirm that I do have a valid BK but I guess that was one step too far for them......but of course I am not complaining............as for the unethical thing, I honestly don't know why you care.........do you have a BK ? If yes then if this is so morally wrong for you then do nothing if it settles your conscience.

Ethics???

By dispute legitimacy, I mean the CRAs should do a better job at weeding out those disputes that are clearly BS. I don't know how much effort the CRAs put in to checking public records but for the two CRAs that deleted my BK, all they had to do was have someone go down to the actual court and check the records to confirm that I do have a valid BK but I guess that was one step too far for them......but of course I am not complaining............as for the unethical thing, I honestly don't know why you care.........do you have a BK ? If yes then if this is so morally wrong for you then do nothing if it settles your conscience.

I had a BK that is falling off this month.

It was correct, it did happen. So it never occurred to me to try to somehow find a loophole (or maybe shade the truth) to knock it off. And I still was able to get credit cards and loans in those 10 yrs. Maybe not AMEX, but the merchants don't much care which card you use.

Wanted to chip in with some of my recent results in this area and to get some input on how to proceed next.

Background. Filed Chapter 7 BK, discharged in 09/2013. In 2016, I foolishly tried to dispute off the BKs with Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion and the public record came back as verified. Since that time, I've let it be and worked on rebuilding my credit, which I have been generally successful at doing. However, with the encouragement of some members of the board, I decided to try this month to dispute off the BK again.

Here's what I did in preparation for the most-recent dispute. A few years back (after an identity theft incident), I froze and opted-out of LexisNexis; so that was already in place. The address associated with the BK was previously removed from Experian and Equifax. However, TransUnion won't delete it, but I'll get into this issue a little further down my post. I opted-out for prescreened offers. There were no IIB accounts on TransUnion; there were two IIB accounts on Equifax; there was one IIB account on Experian.

For my current dispute process, I initiated disputes with the 3 CRAs stating that the BK was not mine. I also disputed the IIB accounts, where applicable. I have received the results of my disputes, as follows:

Equifax: Deleted BK, deleted both IIB trade lines. (WOOHOO)

Experian and TransUnion: Both refused to investigate my dispute, stating that they had already done so in 2016, so my new dispute was frivolous.

I'd like to challenge their decision and figure out how to get them to initiate a new investigation. I would like them to try to verify the public record with LexisNexis, which they'd have difficulty in doing.

So, what's the best strategy to twist Experian's arm?

When it comes to TransUnion and the address associated with the BK which they refuse to remove. The address that got reported and is associated with the BK is one which has an incorrect apartment number. Let's say my address was "123 Main St. Apt. 437". TransUnion lists both this address and "123 Main St. Apt. 4" (the one associated with the BK) on my report. I mean, they really should remove it, as it is an actual invalid address for me, but for whatever reason, by phone, online, and by mail, they will not remove the address. So, what's the best strategy to twist TransUnion's arm, both to remove the address and the BK? How can I prove to them that address is wrong? For that matter, they won't delete my list of outdated employers either, despite saying they verified one in 2016, over a year after I moved out of the state where the company was located. But that data doesn't affect FICO scores, so it's low priority. I'd mainly like to figure out how to get them to remove the actual wrong address (which is associated with the BK) and try to verify the BK with LexisNexis.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Policebox what method did you use to do your initial disputes?

When they came back verified was there any negatives to any of your scores?

On the latest disputes what method did you use?

BIG congrats on the EQ.

Ethics???

From Merriam-Webster-

Definition of ethical

1: of or relating to ethics
  • ethical theories
2: involving or expressing moral approval or disapproval
  • ethical judgments
3: conforming to accepted standards of conduct
  • ethical behavior

Nothing there about business. I have to wonder how much your question about ethics is motivated by a sour-grapes response because you waited out your own BK without challenging it (or at least without challenging it successfully). The data gathering on PR items is so half-azzed, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that there's *something* wrong in most PR items. One needn't make false statements - simply hold the CRA's to their *legal* requirements to report accurate information and to identify the source of the information they are reporting.

Edited by JeffeVerde

From Merriam-Webster-

Definition of ethical

1: of or relating to ethics
  • ethical theories
2: involving or expressing moral approval or disapproval
  • ethical judgments
3: conforming to accepted standards of conduct
  • ethical behavior

Nothing there about business. I have to wonder how much your question about ethics is motivated by a sour-grapes response because you waited out your own BK without challenging it (or at least without challenging it successfully). The data gathering on PR items is so half-azzed, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that there's *something* wrong in most PR items. One needn't make false statements - simply hold the CRA's to their *legal* requirements to report accurate information and to identify the source of the information they are reporting.

I'd say obfuscating or shaving the truth is not an an accepted standard of conduct in any activity, business or otherwise.

And I already stated that if a BK is not reporting correctly, dispute away. But just because you think CRA's do a lousy job of accumulating and reporting data (which is true in a not an insignificant amount of cases) is not a legitimate reason to dispute everything.

Most of what I read here doesn't start with the premise that a BK is reporting incorrectly It starts with the premise that a BK is reporting and how can someone get it off because it looks bad on the report.

And I get that--a BK sux. I know--I had one. But it was correct, it did happen and the PR was correct. It never occurred to me to try to knock it off by disputing legitimate addresses and then claiming the BK was not mine which seems to be what I read about here many times. Just because a BK is financially inconvenient doesn't mean it is incorrect on the CR.

And I'll also say that I don't think credit reports should be used for rating insurance or for job applications or any other use besides what they were originally intended to be used for--assessing payment risk.

Question: if a person is successful at getting a BK knocked off their report, are they to reveal a BK filing in an application for credit or job if the question arises?

Edited by chicagorich

I received a letter from sagestream providing a 2 page report today. My BK TL was not listed; however, in the same envelope, they provided my Innovis report. Stated I was opted out from Innovis. Not sure if they are merged but there was no public record listed. I did see my address attached to my BK TL.

I read about a strategy to call the bureaus and ask to correct the address. I.e. it’s not 1234 stone st , its 234 stone st. An address that doesn’t exist. Well, I just changed one of my credit card address today to “234 stone st” which should report by the 3rd. It will be posted on Experian report which will give me an some ground to convince the CB rep to amend the BK TL. “Look, this address is wrong, it should be 234 stone st, see, my credit card is attached to it”.

Wish me luck, I’ll know this week when I try.

I live next to Experian’s office, should I try and do this in person or will it be better to talk to an offshore rep?

I received a letter from sagestream providing a 2 page report today. My BK TL was not listed; however, in the same envelope, they provided my Innovis report. Stated I was opted out from Innovis. Not sure if they are merged but there was no public record listed. I did see my address attached to my BK TL.

I read about a strategy to call the bureaus and ask to correct the address. I.e. it’s not 1234 stone st , its 234 stone st. An address that doesn’t exist. Well, I just changed one of my credit card address today to “234 stone st” which should report by the 3rd. It will be posted on Experian report which will give me an some ground to convince the CB rep to amend the BK TL. “Look, this address is wrong, it should be 234 stone st, see, my credit card is attached to it”.

I live next to Experian’s office, should I try and do this in person or will it be better to talk to an offshore rep?

So you told your credit card company that your new address is one that is non-existent or you don't live at?

Edited by chicagorich

Thanks for this thread, I have successfully deleted my BK off of all 3 CRA

Were you successful due to a different address?
Of course. That's part of the instructions. If you follow them it works.

Why do you ask that, if you already know that's part of what makes it work? Just curious, not trying to be a ding-a-ling about it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Why do you ask that, if you already know that's part of what makes it work? Just curious, not trying to be a ding-a-ling about it.

Different situations/scenarios. Was just curious

Different situations/scenarios. Was just curious

Ok,

Edited by Fixnsell

This worried like a charm only title search when buying a house would still show that I filled BK.

or when a creditor asks on a credit app if you've ever filed BK.

unless you like committing federal bank fraud.

This worried like a charm only title search when buying a house would still show that I filled BK.

or when a creditor asks on a credit app if you've ever filed BK.

unless you like committing federal bank fraud.

You are correct. There's actually no reason at all to have your BK deleted from your report.

Thats not what Im implying at all.

Edited by Fixnsell

So you told your credit card company that your new address is one that is non-existent or you don't live at?

Yes, I changed the address on my discover app. I have paperless statements so it didn’t matter to me. It just updated today with the “new” address.

I will keep you guys informed if this worked

I read something mentioned in this thread awhile back about PR reporting and a new law taking affect in July 2017...Can anyone fill me in? I had three judgements on Experian in April and they are all gone today. They were 5 years, 4 years and 3 years old. I am wondering why they were removed and hoping this is permanent. ?

Thank you.

So Experian mailed me back saying that my bankruptcy was verified accurate by the company they used but they didn't send any proof when I sent my MOV letter. What would be my next step with them?

Any updates?

I am in the process of sending them a MOV letter.

So Experian mailed me back saying that my bankruptcy was verified accurate by the company they used but they didn't send any proof when I sent my MOV letter. What would be my next step with them?

Any updates?

I am in the process of sending them a MOV letter.

Any one more updates on the MOV standoff?