fedtrouble

HOW I GOT MY BANKRUPTCY DELETED

The information available to the public is redacted. The original paper documents are stored at a storage facility in a relatively short period of time. This problem was addressed by the courts a few years ago after the records became available online and were then stored in other companies' databases and sold. Anyone could look you up, find where you lived, SSN, everything - so they changed how they stored the info and how it could be displayed to the public.

The information available to the public is redacted. The original paper documents are stored at a storage facility in a relatively short period of time. This problem was addressed by the courts a few years ago after the records became available online and were then stored in other companies' databases and sold. Anyone could look you up, find where you lived, SSN, everything - so they changed how they stored the info and how it could be displayed to the public.

So true, in fact, in some instances when you access BK records through pacer and you are looking at old BK records, pre 2005 you can find some that list this information undedacted still. :-( Uggh.. Not so good!

Strange as it sounds, I feel very fortunate that we were able to file for bankruptcy and start over with a clean slate; trying to get it deleted is not a game I would want to play. While I give the original poster of this thread kudos for being able to pull this off, I would not remotely feel comfortable doing it.

I'm willing to pay the price I have to pay for having filed and be at peace with it.

The biggest flaw in this approach is that a creditor is not required under any law to take your credit report into account when they extend credit. So what if the BK is not on the CR, it's still in the files of the creditors; they know you filed for BK. So deleting the BK is only helpful if you are applying for credit to a creditor who was not part of your BK estate. Also, I agree that with so many people post-BK these days creditors are extending credit a lot sooner after a BK than they used to do. So it seems to me like a lot of effort for little reward.

Where I think it would be most helpful is in a situation where you worked in a field where someone might deny you a job because a BK is on the CR. Then it might be worth the hassle, although most of those employers also require you to declare it on an employment application too (but maybe you can fudge that by leaving it blank).

Congrats for getting this done but if you went for a mortgage they would still find out you had a bk. They run their own search outside of a credit report

Congrats for getting this done but if you went for a mortgage they would still find out you had a bk. They run their own search outside of a credit report

I actually did this before I got a mortgage with Fifth Third Bank, there was no BK on my report, and they never mentioned it in any process of my mortgage application. It was FHA. FYI..

I actually did this before I got a mortgage with Fifth Third Bank, there was no BK on my report, and they never mentioned it in any process of my mortgage application. It was FHA. FYI..

hmmm how many years from the discharge date at the time you applied. FHA allows you to purchase or refinance quicker out of a bk then a conventional loan.

Every bank requires a bk search from every title company

not in my case. I saw the tri-merge report they pulled and there was no mention of a BK on Equifax or TransUnion. Just the one showing on Experian.

But, we went USDA so it wouldnt have matter anyway

hmmm how many years from the discharge date at the time you applied. FHA allows you to purchase or refinance quicker out of a bk then a conventional loan.

I was discharged in September of 2008, and I was approved for my FHA in Sept/October of 2010. Closed in November, 2010.

I was discharged in September of 2008, and I was approved for my FHA in Sept/October of 2010. Closed in November, 2010.

yea two years for fha then was fine

then you are in perfect shape congrats

The biggest flaw in this approach is that a creditor is not required under any law to take your credit report into account when they extend credit. So what if the BK is not on the CR, it's still in the files of the creditors; they know you filed for BK. So deleting the BK is only helpful if you are applying for credit to a creditor who was not part of your BK estate. Also, I agree that with so many people post-BK these days creditors are extending credit a lot sooner after a BK than they used to do. So it seems to me like a lot of effort for little reward.

Where I think it would be most helpful is in a situation where you worked in a field where someone might deny you a job because a BK is on the CR. Then it might be worth the hassle, although most of those employers also require you to declare it on an employment application too (but maybe you can fudge that by leaving it blank).

Meh, I don't think it was a waste of time at all. So what if you have to apply for credit at a creditor who was not part of your BK estate? I'd have to do that regardless if the BK was on my credit or not. Most of the creditors I included in my BK blacklist anyways... I used this technique and I was able to get it off my EQ report and it was very easy not a hassle. I was able to get credit with Pentagon Federal CU, which I could not before and I'm really excited about it.

I look at the BK public record just like a foreclosure... My mortgage was included in my bankruptcy but guess what? The foreclosure doesn't get reported on my credit because the loan was included in the BK. So, my credit is spared by not having an additional public record on there. The foreclosure still exists and anyone could find it if I did a mortgage application or had a background check... and you of course wouldn't lie about it but for routine credit, its wonderful to not have that foreclosure on the report. Not having the BK record on my report serves the same purpose. It happened, and I wouldn't lie about it but its very useful for it not to be there. Whether its for a credit card I couldn't otherwise get, a job or even car insurance. I fully plan on having my auto insurance reevaulated now because I live in a state that uses credit to determine how well you drive a car. Its the most purple thing to me and I'm more than happy to get a better car insurance rate without a BK showing on my report. After I filed for BK, my car insurance went up about 300 dollars a year just because of the existence of the public record on my report. I suppose it means that just because I needed to file I'm going to drive like a maniac?

Edited by cputrwz

cputrwz,

quick question, did you also write the letter to the Clerk Of Court? This is the part that scares the hell out of me....

MySituation:

I filedChapter 7 Bankruptcy in May of 2008, .................

..........................Throughyour dispute system I recently filed a dispute stating that someone with asimilar name had filed this public record and it was not mine.

I am in favor of using the law to protect yourself. After all, that is what the law is there for. Although I am not in favor of validation requests of debts that are valid, I do not have a problem with them because they are a legal recourse available to consumers. I believe it is fair to allow a consumer to use paperwork, because the corporate attorneys will no doubt use paperwork against the consumer.

However, claiming that something is not yours when it clearly is crosses an ethical boundary in my opinion.

Experian should be hearing from 3 AGs sooner or later. I will try this on TU when my Jack Attack results come in....Anyone have any good TU emails/contacts for higher ups?

Edited by FicoChampion

Got up refreshed my USAA report and its gone, at least on EQ. yahoo.gif

Now part 2, I wonder how to find out who the clerk of the court is for US bk court in Riverside, CA?

Thank you fedtrouble and cputwrz for your sharing. As they say sharing is caring.

OCCG

If I have previously disputed my bankruptcy saying that something on it was incorrect and please verify the information and it came back verified, would me now saying that the bankruptcy belongs to someone else prevent this from working?

I would go through the steps with the letter from the Court and getting the addresses removed. Once you do that, I would go through it again. Speaking from experience I've disputed specific items attempting a jack attack on something, and they verified it, then went back and disputed it as not mine and it was removed. I think as long as there is some time between the two disputes you are safe. Though I would love to hear what others have to say on that matter.

Just so you are aware, nothing is ever really deleted from a "file". You can dispute something and have it deleted from the report, but it is still in your file. So this nonsense "someone else with similar info" is very likely to come back and bite you. Don't be surprised if it all shows back up.

When something IS yours, the worst thing to do, IMO, is to dispute it as "not mine". Find something wrong with the reporting and dispute that. Saying not mine is usually deleted because the reporter didn't respond. But if they respond later, it will likely be re-reported. Plus, they can verify it is your account. Reporting errors may take time for the reporter to figure out and it likely isn't worth the effort to them. To just verify if someone has/had an account, should take them about 3 seconds.

+1,000,000

WHOA!!! tried this on EQ and 3 days later BK is GONE!!! just received confirmation that BK was deleted!!! Whats weird is that it only took 3 days....

For those that got the BK removed, is your name a very "common" one like Smith or Jones etc. My name is not so common so I'm thinking the similar name tactic will not work so good...

You don't need to tell me your name just a yeppers will do. :good:

For those that got the BK removed, is your name a very "common" one like Smith or Jones etc. My name is not so common so I'm thinking the similar name tactic will not work so good...

You don't need to tell me your name just a yeppers will do. :good:

My name is weird. Trust me. I don't think it matters.

EQ took like 3 days to remove mines too. TU so far is a no go, but OP said that happen to him/her too.

EX refuses to delete my old address from my file. Stuck with it at this point.

Will try contacting TU execs and see how that would go.

I'll keep you guys posted.

If anyone has a better way for EX to remove old addresses please let me know. I sent them copy of my DL, SS, ConEd and Bank Statement and instead of deleting, they changed the address I wanted removed from old address to CURRENT address!!!