Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

HIPAA Process

The last post in this topic was posted 2888 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello everyone,

I was researching how to remove two paid medical collections accounts that are being reported on all three of my credit reports and I stumbled across this gem of a website. I am about to start the HIPAA process using Why Chat's method, but I'm not sure I fully understand what is required. Here is what I've done so far:

- I pulled my three free annual reports from Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax and I see that the same two paid medical collections accounts are listed on Experian and Equifax, but only one of the accounts is listed with TransUnion. One account was for $100 with a DoFD of 12/07 and the second account was for $40 with a DoFD 10/06 (only Experian and Equifax show this account on my reports), but both are now listed as paid and closed. There are some other dates, but I'm not sure if that information is relevant here...

- I have prepared drafts of Why Chat's letter (http://whychat.5u.com/hipaadisp.html). Do I need to prepare a total of five letters (one for each bureau regarding each of the two accounts with only one letter going to TransUnion)? If five letters are in fact needed, do I send them all at the same time?

- Once I send these letters to the three bureaus, what am I waiting on? Will they send letters back to me within a specified time frame or am I just needing to watch my reports to see if anything is done? If I am to watch my reports, is that when this process of "backdooring" my credit reports comes into play or can you even do that? Or should I purchase a credit monitoring service?

- Also, should the fact that I have the same ongoing, but unrelated disputes with Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion affect my timing? Should I hold off on sending the letter until my current dispute has been has been responded to?

Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone,

I was researching how to remove two paid medical collections accounts that are being reported on all three of my credit reports and I stumbled across this gem of a website. I am about to start the HIPAA process using Why Chat's method, but I'm not sure I fully understand what is required. Here is what I've done so far:

- I pulled my three free annual reports from Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax and I see that the same two paid medical collections accounts are listed on Experian and Equifax, but only one of the accounts is listed with TransUnion. One account was for $100 with a DoFD of 12/07 and the second account was for $40 with a DoFD 10/06 (only Experian and Equifax show this account on my reports), but both are now listed as paid and closed. There are some other dates, but I'm not sure if that information is relevant here...

- I have prepared drafts of Why Chat's letter (http://whychat.5u.com/hipaadisp.html). Do I need to prepare a total of five letters (one for each bureau regarding each of the two accounts with only one letter going to TransUnion)? If five letters are in fact needed, do I send them all at the same time?

- Once I send these letters to the three bureaus, what am I waiting on? Will they send letters back to me within a specified time frame or am I just needing to watch my reports to see if anything is done? If I am to watch my reports, is that when this process of "backdooring" my credit reports comes into play or can you even do that? Or should I purchase a credit monitoring service?

- Also, should the fact that I have the same ongoing, but unrelated disputes with Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion affect my timing? Should I hold off on sending the letter until my current dispute has been has been responded to?

Thank you in advance!

Opt out before doing anything else.

http://whychat.5u.com/OPTOUTINST.HTML

If you have moved since the dates of medical service, you should try to get your old addresses deleted.

You need to wait until your current disputes are resolved before entering any new disputes as your disputes will be merged in the CRA systems and your responses will be delayed

Credit monitoring systems are , in my opinion a big waste of $$ and only cause more problems as the reports they generate are not as accurate as reports directly from the CRAs and you have only one report # from the sponsoring CRA.

Get your reports directly, visit annualcreditreport.com,or call 1-877-322-8228

You can check the progress of your disputes by using the back door or waiting for a reply from the CRAs.

If your prior disputes have been on line, you need to make sure that your initial HIPAA dispute letter is done exactly as instructed and refuse any offers to get your response from the CRAs on line.

http://whychat.5u.com/hipaadisp.html

List your medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing, given the age of your accounts this initial dispute letter should easily get them deleted.

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

If you have moved since the dates of medical service, you should try to get your old addresses deleted.

You need to wait until your current disputes are resolved before entering any new disputes as your disputes will be merged in the CRA systems and your responses will be delayed

Credit monitoring systems are , in my opinion a big waste of $ and only cause more problems as the reports they generate are not as accurate as reports directly from the CRAs and you have only one report # from the sponsoring CRA.

You can check the progress of your disputes by using the back door or waiting for a reply from the CRAs.

If your prior disputes have been on line, you need to make sure that your initial HIPAA dispute letter is done exactly as instructed and refuse any offers to get your response from the CRAs on line.

List your medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing, given the age of your accounts this initial dispute letter should easily get them deleted.

Thanks for your response Why Chat!

I have already worked on the opt out process, but I have not moved since the dates of medical service, so should I still work on getting old address deleted?

For a little background, there was a misapplied payment on my student loan (the university credited it to another student's account) that resulted in my account as having been 30 days late, which was not the case at all, so I went online with the three bureaus and initiated online disputes to try and get that account moved into positive status, so I'm currently awaiting results on this.

I'll refrain from purchasing any credit monitoring system, but seeing as I've already gotten one free report from each bureau already this year, what is this back door technique I've seen referenced?

I've typed up the letter just as shown and will send it in certified mail, return receipt requested. I'm still confused on the number of letters I'm sending, is it one to each bureau per account listed for a total of 5 letters?

Thanks again! I'm excited to get this going and hopeful that it will work.

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance!

Credit monitoring systems are , in my opinion a big waste of $ and only cause more problems as the reports they generate are not as accurate as reports directly from the CRAs and you have only one report # from the sponsoring CRA.

Thanks for your response Why Chat!

I have already worked on the opt out process, but I have not moved since the dates of medical service, so should I still work on getting old address deleted? No, not neccessary

For a little background, there was a misapplied payment on my student loan (the university credited it to another student's account) that resulted in my account as having been 30 days late, which was not the case at all, so I went online with the three bureaus and initiated online disputes to try and get that account moved into positive status, so I'm currently awaiting results on this. You need to contact the university for this for THEM to change their reported data, your on line dispute to the CRAs in this instance is useless

I'll refrain from purchasing any credit monitoring system, but seeing as I've already gotten one free report from each bureau already this year, what is this back door technique I've seen referenced? You go to each CRA website and click on new dispute( do NOT actually do a new dispute) that will bring up your current report. Be careful to NOT click on the box that would opt you back in

I've typed up the letter just as shown and will send it in certified mail, return receipt requested. NO!! do NOT send it with a return receipt requested, send it CERTIFIED ONLY. You send one letter to each CRA listing ALL medical accounts as they appear on the report you are disputing and pluralize appropriate words in the following paragraphs I'm still confused on the number of letters I'm sending, is it one to each bureau per account listed for a total of 5 letters?

Thanks again! I'm excited to get this going and hopeful that it will work.

Hi Why Chat,

I have prepared a letter for TransUnion and one for Experian. However, I can't find my Equifax credit report number. I looked around their website and I think my credit file is affiliate-owned by CSC Credit Services... Which company should I send the letter to? On a related note, should these letters be addressed to specific people at the CRAs or how should the envelopes be addressed?

In your letter where it says "certified mail # " I won't number until I purchase the mail service, so how can I enter it here? Also in the letter, it says, "no knowledge...from xxxxx...on my ", which date should I use here? The date opened, date of status, reported since, last reported date, or date assigned?

Sorry for the deluge of questions, I just want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated.

Hi Why Chat,

I have prepared a letter for TransUnion and one for Experian. However, I can't find my Equifax credit report number. I looked around their website and I think my credit file is affiliate-owned by CSC Credit Services... Which company should I send the letter to? On a related note, should these letters be addressed to specific people at the CRAs or how should the envelopes be addressed?

In your letter where it says "certified mail # " I won't number until I purchase the mail service, so how can I enter it here? Also in the letter, it says, "no knowledge...from xxxxx...on my ", which date should I use here? The date opened, date of status, reported since, last reported date, or date assigned?

Sorry for the deluge of questions, I just want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated.

EDIT: I discovered that I can go to the Post Office and pick up the forms for certified mail so I'll have the number to include in the letter, so that eliminates that question, and I'll be ready to send the initial dispute letters once I figure out who they're going to at the CRA's and what date to include.

ADDL EDIT: I don't think your draft letter was asking for a date in the third line, but rather the name of the OC that sold/assigned the debt, correct? NO, the name of the reporting CA, the OC health care provider's name is NEVER used on the credit report except on YOUR copy

Dear CRA,

My name is xxxxx xxxxxx , my SS # is xxx xx xxxx.

I am sending this dispute certified mail # xxxx to make sure you receive it.

I have no knowledge or records of account # xxxxx from xxxxxx NAME OF CA on my report # xxxxx.

Please keep ALL your questions in your OWN thread, you address the initial dispute letters to each CRA, not to any department or person. The HIPAA letter program will work for accounts reporting as paid, if they were paid to a CA who was NOT a direct assigned CA, it MAY not work on recent accounts as they are usually the original assigned CA. Accounts more than 2 years old are probably in the hands of third or fourth CAs and can be disputed off. OBVIOUSLY it is better to pay the OC once a current relationship has been established.

Edited by Why Chat

For a little background, there was a misapplied payment on my student loan (the university credited it to another student's account) that resulted in my account as having been 30 days late, which was not the case at all, so I went online with the three bureaus and initiated online disputes to try and get that account moved into positive status, so I'm currently awaiting results on this. You need to contact the university for this for THEM to change their reported data, your on line dispute to the CRAs in this instance is useless

Why Chat, related to this little nugget of information, I have tried telling the university that their reported data was incorrect because it was their office that misapplied the payment, but no one at the university seems to know how to change this and the one lady that did informed me it was something I needed to clarify with the CRAs, which is why I went online and initiated the disputes. What do I need to tell the university to get them to correct their mistake as it doesn't seem the goodwill route is going to get this resolved...?

Edited by Wanttobe800

I sent my three HIPAA letters via certified mail today. I will report back here with my results.

In these instances, do the CRAs send letters back indicating what action they've taken regarding your letters or are the accounts typically removed without any reply? Can you offer any insight into what I might expect now that they've received my letters?

Why Chat,

I went online to check the status of my disputes and had a few questions for you:

1) Equifax is only listing one of my collection accounts as "being investigated" even though I listed both accounts on the pre-HIPAA letter I sent. Is this something to be concerned about?

2) TransUnion isn't letting me check the status of anything online and says that I need to contact them. The backdoor method doesn't seem to be working on their website.

3) Experian doesn't appear to have received my letter as they don't list any investigation as pending.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks for your continued help.

Edited by Wanttobe800

Does anyone know the correct address I should send Why Chat's pre-HIPAA letter to for Experian? I've already sent one via certified mail and it came back as addressee unknown. Any ideas?

Experian P.O. Box 9532 Allen, TX 75013

Thank you very much! I had sent it to Experian P.O. Box 9556 Allen, TX 75013 originally. Hopefully I have better luck this time.

Update time:

1) TransUnion deleted the only medical collection account (West Asset Management) that was reporting online. I backdoored TransUnion's website and verified that the account has been removed online.

2) CSC Credit Services did something strange and I'm not sure what to believe... CSC was showing two medical collections accounts (West Asset Management and Credit Collections Inc.) as reporting online. Once I submitted Why Chat's pre-HIPAA letter, they only ever reported the West Asset Management as being investigated, while the Credit Collections Inc. account never showed as being investigated online. I received a letter on 8/28 stating that they had completed their investigation and that the West Asset Management account had been verified as mine. However, the same letter states that the medical collections account with Credit Collections Inc. has been deleted from my credit file. However, when I backdoored the Equifax website, both medical collections accounts had been deleted from my file. Should I ask for another letter verifying that both accounts were indeed deleted or should I just print off a copy of what they show online and keep that for my records? How am I to know that both accounts were in fact deleted and that the letter is mistaken in saying that the West Asset Management was verified?

3) I apparently did not have the right P.O. Box address for Experian so the disputes were never initiated with them. I'm resending Why Chat's pre-HIPAA letter tomorrow via certified mail and will post another update when I hear back from them.

Thanks Why Chat and EnC_Plus3 for your contributions!

Update time:

1) TransUnion deleted the only medical collection account (West Asset Management) that was reporting online. I backdoored TransUnion's website and verified that the account has been removed online.

2) CSC Credit Services did something strange and I'm not sure what to believe... CSC was showing two medical collections accounts (West Asset Management and Credit Collections Inc.) as reporting online. Once I submitted Why Chat's pre-HIPAA letter, they only ever reported the West Asset Management as being investigated, while the Credit Collections Inc. account never showed as being investigated online. I received a letter on 8/28 stating that they had completed their investigation and that the West Asset Management account had been verified as mine. However, the same letter states that the medical collections account with Credit Collections Inc. has been deleted from my credit file. However, when I backdoored the Equifax website, both medical collections accounts had been deleted from my file. Should I ask for another letter verifying that both accounts were indeed deleted or should I just print off a copy of what they show online and keep that for my records? How am I to know that both accounts were in fact deleted and that the letter is mistaken in saying that the West Asset Management was verified?Keep hard copies and the letter, do not re-dispute to them

3) I apparently did not have the right P.O. Box address for Experian so the disputes were never initiated with them. I'm resending Why Chat's pre-HIPAA letter tomorrow via certified mail and will post another update when I hear back from them.

Update time:

2) CSC Credit Services did something strange and I'm not sure what to believe... CSC was showing two medical collections accounts (West Asset Management and Credit Collections Inc.) as reporting online. Once I submitted Why Chat's pre-HIPAA letter, they only ever reported the West Asset Management as being investigated, while the Credit Collections Inc. account never showed as being investigated online. I received a letter on 8/28 stating that they had completed their investigation and that the West Asset Management account had been verified as mine. However, the same letter states that the medical collections account with Credit Collections Inc. has been deleted from my credit file. However, when I backdoored the Equifax website, both medical collections accounts had been deleted from my file. Should I ask for another letter verifying that both accounts were indeed deleted or should I just print off a copy of what they show online and keep that for my records? How am I to know that both accounts were in fact deleted and that the letter is mistaken in saying that the West Asset Management was verified?Keep hard copies and the letter, do not re-dispute to them

Letter sent to Experian yesterday afternoon, 9/6.

Why Chat, for the second consecutive time, my certified mail dispute to Experian is being returned by the USPS saying that the addressee is unknown and that it is undeliverable. Do you have the correct mailing address for Experian that I can use for this certified dispute letter? This is costing me unnecessary money by having to resend this letter again and I can't seem to find the right address. Do you know it or know where I can find it? It would be appreciated.

Why Chat, for the second consecutive time, my certified mail dispute to Experian is being returned by the USPS saying that the addressee is unknown and that it is undeliverable. Do you have the correct mailing address for Experian that I can use for this certified dispute letter? This is costing me unnecessary money by having to resend this letter again and I can't seem to find the right address. Do you know it or know where I can find it? It would be appreciated.

Are you sending it certified ONLY or are you sending it with a return receipt requested.

If so, send it certified only.

Do you have your credit report??

Do you have the page on your credit report that provides the address for disputes??

If all you have is their website address then call Experian: 1-888-397-3742; or go to their website experian.com and get an address from there.

Are you sending it certified ONLY or are you sending it with a return receipt requested.

Do you have the page on your credit report that provides the address for disputes??

If all you have is their website address then call Experian: 1-888-397-3742; or go to their website experian.com and get an address from there.

I am sending it certified only and that's the only way I've ever sent the letters. I do have the actual credit report from Experian, but there is no address on the report, only a phone number and an email address. I'll see what I can find.

Yet again, I'm sending my pre-HIPAA letter certified mail to Experian. I believe I finally have the correct address. Third time's a charm.

I am sending it certified only and that's the only way I've ever sent the letters. I do have the actual credit report from Experian, but there is no address on the report, only a phone number and an email address. I'll see what I can find.

How long should I wait on Experian to take action with regard to my certified letter?

30 days from the date of their receipt.

I checked Experian's website today because they received my dispute letter on 11/3/2012. Neither one of the medical accounts that I wrote about appear as being "disputed". In fact, Experian changed the collections date of one of the accounts to August 2012. What the hell is that about?? Do I continue to wait 30 days?

The last post in this topic was posted 2888 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.