Sign in to follow this  
Male Nurse

Social Security Administration????

Just checked backdoor on my Experian and saw that the Social Security Administration did a soft pull of my report in May of this year... WHY? Why would they need to look at my credit?

That's pretty strange? Even if you filed for disability or some thing it wouldn't seem a big enough reason for them to be interested in your credit. Let us know when you find something out about the Soft pull.

Do you owe them anything? My dad died when I was 9 years old and I received Social Security checks until I graduated from high school. However, my mom was the one who took and cashed those checks. I found out one of the last checks she double cashed a check (told the SS a check never arrived and cashed both checks). I am not responsible for that debt )no matter how much I argue with them). They actually reported on my credit report about 2 years ago.

M

The pull shows:

"Social Security Administration"

It's a soft pull though. I'm only 32 and work full-time. Have never considered retiring or filing disability. I don't and can't owe them any money. Where do they get off checking my credit? How can I contact them to find out what for? Would fraud alerts on my reports maybe initiate it? Lost on what could be the issue.

When you setup a "My Social Security" account, they do an Experian soft pull as part of the identity verification process.

A common reason to make the account was to look at your statement online (used to come in the mail). It can also happen if you create an account to request a replacement social security card or something like that. (Did you get a new job and couldn't find your card to present to HR, etc?)

Usually you would have done this yourself online, but sometimes they enroll you as part of something you're doing at a local office.

When you setup a "My Social Security" account, they do an Experian soft pull as part of the identity verification process.

A common reason to make the account was to look at your statement online (used to come in the mail). It can also happen if you create an account to request a replacement social security card or something like that. (Did you get a new job and couldn't find your card to present to HR, etc?)

Usually you would have done this yourself online, but sometimes they enroll you as part of something you're doing at a local office.

I agree. Did that myself when I was informed they don't send out annual account statements anymore. They asked me some verification questions. They had to get the answers from.somewhere.

If you didn't do it, maybe someone else entered your ssn. Maybe a typo or something else.

Edited by Burgerwars

Nope. I just kind of let it go. Not really sure HOW to figure it out... I doubt the SSA has a line to call for this sort of thing lol.

They have an 800 number. They are very nice, it wouldn't hurt to ask - no telling what it could be, perhaps someone else is trying to use your number.

I'm at an age where I deal with the SSA regularly. Numerous online registrations in the past. Never had them show up on a CR.

Being the SSA is the ultimate source for identity verification. I see no reason why they would go to a third party vendor to accomplish that task.

I would look at the spelling and other items of the CR entry carefully. Sounds like a CA/JDB doing some spoofing to draw out unsophisticated debtors.

My only other wild guess would be a Treasury Dept. tie in with delinquent student loans

Being the SSA is the ultimate source for identity verification. I see no reason why they would go to a third party vendor to accomplish that task.

I would look at the spelling and other items of the CR entry carefully. Sounds like a CA/JDB doing some spoofing to draw out unsophisticated debtors.

My only other wild guess would be a Treasury Dept. tie in with delinquent student loans

What would a CA/JDB have to gain from forming an entity that allows them to place soft inquiries on credit reports designed to fool people into thinking it was the SSA?

A Google search would lead you to many pages on the SSA website describing their use of soft credit inquiries on Experian as part of their identity verification process -- such as

"Experian may use information from your credit report to help verify your identity; this may result in what is known as a “soft inquiry” on your Experian credit report.

Your Experian credit report will show an inquiry by the Social Security Administration with our address and the date of the request."

SSA Source Page

Call them. I've had to deal with them many times in the past both as an employer as well as a representative agent and always found the telephone representatives to be extremely helpful and pleasant.

My guess is the OP interacted with the SSA website in the past and forgot. But it's also possible someone was trying to access his SSA benefit information for some other purpose. Either way, they should have a record of why the verification was requested -- and they also have the ability to block electronic access to your information if you feel it's an ID theft type of issue.

I'm trying to think of what information would be on a benefit statement that would be useful to an identity thief, considering accessing one online requires that you already have all of the identity information. The only thing that came to mind was an ex in a divorce and/or child support case. Trying to see how much someone earned, etc. Hardly the best way to do it, but people do some silly things in those types of situations.

I found this on my Experian report as well:

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINIST

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifAddress:
6401 SECURTIY BLVD
BALTIMORE MD 21235
No phone number available
Date of Request:
06/27/2013 clear.gifclear.gif

Quite bizarre. I get a small SS pension subject to the WEP, and a civilian government pension. Of course they could be just wanting to find out if I am still alive. Some foreign state pension authorities make their pension recipients present themselves at their country's consular office every year (I have to do that for a European country, but not for Canada which also pays me a small pension). I have no adverse credit data, nor could I since my credit card instalments are charged automatically to my credit union account, which has overdraft protection and receives my pensions.

Do you owe them anything? My dad died when I was 9 years old and I received Social Security checks until I graduated from high school. However, my mom was the one who took and cashed those checks. I found out one of the last checks she double cashed a check (told the SS a check never arrived and cashed both checks). I am not responsible for that debt )no matter how much I argue with them). They actually reported on my credit report about 2 years ago.

M

Social Security Administration is going after people who at one time received disability benefits. They are going after me saying that back in 1982 I was overpaid benefits.

I received a letter from them about 4 weeks ago asking for $6,000.00 !!! I received 1 check back in 1982 that I was not entitled to, I sent that check back immediately. It was for around $300.00. NEVER heard another word until recently.

They are also going after individuals who were children at the time who's Mother or Father received payments. If one or both are deceased they want the money back from the grown up children.

They sent me no information on when all of this took place, just the amount of $6000.00. I have appealed this ridiculous letter and it contents.

So just got my credit reports and troubled to find that the SSA soft pulled my credit information. I am on permanent disability, have not requested or had anything to do with them since I applied. This is troubling, so I went on the SSA website and sure enough...here is an explanation that I copied and pasted.

• We may use an external authentication service provider, Experian, to help us verify your identity.
  • We verify your information against our records. Experian verifies your information against its records.
  • We will not share your Social Security number with Experian.
  • Experian will only keep the information we share for the period of time required by federal laws, regulations, or guidelines.
  • We will not keep the information that Experian provides us.
  • Experian may use information from your credit report to help verify your identity; this may result in what is known as a “soft inquiry” on your Experian credit report.
  • Your Experian credit report will show an inquiry by the Social Security Administration with our address and the date of the request.
  • Soft inquiries do not affect your credit score, and you do not incur any charges related to them.
  • Soft inquiries are displayed in the version of the credit profile viewable only to consumers and are not reported to lenders.
  • The soft inquiry will not appear on your credit report from Equifax or TransUnion, and generally will be removed from your Experian credit report after 25 months.
  • Once you have registered for an online account, you will not generate additional soft inquiries by logging in to access our services.

So just got my credit reports and troubled to find that the SSA soft pulled my credit information. I am on permanent disability, have not requested or had anything to do with them since I applied. This is troubling, so I went on the SSA website and sure enough...here is an explanation that I copied and pasted.

• We may use an external authentication service provider, Experian, to help us verify your identity.
  • We verify your information against our records. Experian verifies your information against its records.
  • We will not share your Social Security number with Experian.
  • Experian will only keep the information we share for the period of time required by federal laws, regulations, or guidelines.
  • We will not keep the information that Experian provides us.
  • Experian may use information from your credit report to help verify your identity; this may result in what is known as a “soft inquiry” on your Experian credit report.
  • Your Experian credit report will show an inquiry by the Social Security Administration with our address and the date of the request.
  • Soft inquiries do not affect your credit score, and you do not incur any charges related to them.
  • Soft inquiries are displayed in the version of the credit profile viewable only to consumers and are not reported to lenders.
  • The soft inquiry will not appear on your credit report from Equifax or TransUnion, and generally will be removed from your Experian credit report after 25 months.
  • Once you have registered for an online account, you will not generate additional soft inquiries by logging in to access our services.

The world is in a sad state of affairs if the SSA uses EXPERIAN

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Did you apply for medical insurance under the Affordable Care Act ?

They check your credit reports just for ID verification / Address matchup.

They most certainly do check with Experian.

One cannot create a "my Social Security" account if they have a security freeze or a fraud alert on their Experian credit report?

They most certainly do check with Experian.

One cannot create a "my Social Security" account if they have a security freeze or a fraud alert on their Experian credit report?

Thank you for the SSA link, I missed that section of the web site as my Experian file has been frozen forever!!

This explains why I have NOT been able to create an account with the SSA and every time I call, the recording always tells me my wait will be at least an hour!! Typical incompetent government, I would NEVER do business with any company that has this kind of service, but I am forced to deal with these clowns against my will and I have ZERO expectation of ever seeing ANY money from Social Security. But I do want to log-in and see what they have reporting for me.

Edited by Rogue

Just checked backdoor on my Experian and saw that the Social Security Administration did a soft pull of my report in May of this year... WHY? Why would they need to look at my credit?

DID you apply for affordable healthcare thru one of the state or federal portals?

SS Admins will do a ID check for that by checking with the CRA's.

possibly just verifying your ID; maybe someone tried to claim benefits in your name, it happens.