Sign in to follow this  
Need More RWHP

ARCO BP credit card fee scam... $1 fee for credit card

ARCO is traditionally known for not accepting credit cards and charging 35-45 cent fee for using a debit card.

Now they're in the business of defrauding credit card users by selling the privilege of using a credit card. At least here in the Pacific NW.

"each location is an independently owned franchise and it is up to them what they do" is the corporate response.

Edited by Need More RWHP

ARCO is traditionally known for not accepting credit cards and charging 35-45 cent fee for using a debit card.

Now they're in the business of defrauding credit card users by selling the privilege of using a credit card. At least here in the Pacific NW.

"each location is an independently owned franchise and it is up to them what they do" is the corporate response.

It is hyperbole to use the word defraud if they tell you about a charge upfront. Defraud would be if they snuck it in. Then you need to take into account the total cost. They are not selling the privilege, they are charging your for an added service. This works if their cash cost is less than most other places.

That being said around me Shell stations are the only stations that charge a higher price for credit credit, the thing is the cash price is what others charge for all gas, the credit price is higher. The term of defrauding would still be hyperbole, but overcharging for credit works. I go elsewhere for all my gas. I forget how much extra, but it is significant to lemonade me off as much as anyone here. See we can see eye to eye. :)

my mechanic said arco gas is subpar. anything to that?

My first job was at an Arco station, before they went self-serve and Am/Pm, and the gas was considered some of the best, but... that was 32 years ago. Your mileage may vary today (no pun intended).

It is hyperbole to use the word defraud

Material misrepresentation of fact with intent to deprive is fraud. I told them "no, you can't surcharge credit card per card company rules" which is true and accurate. They refuted and said "yes we can because it costs us money to take cards".

The fact that it costs them a fee does not allow them to do so. ARCO, by false pretense that fees are permissible, it is stealing from customers who pay by credit card by deception. This is same as telling the clerk "hey, last time I was here, the manager told me that I can get a free bottle of soda if I fill up" when it in fact didn't happen.

If the clerk says ok and lets me have it, this is called theft by deception.

Edited by Need More RWHP

Beware, had a Arco gift card. Tried to use it on 4-23-14 at a Arco station in Marysville on N.Beale road. Scanned the card at the pump and it showed a 67 and change balance as it should have. Pump then didn't do a thing. Re scanned the card and it wouldn't take it. Went to another pump, same thing. Went inside to talk with the people. They couldn't find the transaction and I gave them the pump number. Brain dead comes to mind. The card company couldn't get anywhere with these morons either. Drove to Tower and filled my tank and it took 35 and change. So now the salamanders at Arco said my sale was legit. I have a 12 gallon tank and it was 1/4. Drove to Tower and put in 35, you do the math. Never had a sale of 67 and never will but these rip off artists at Arco are doing to the public more than just getting us with their over inflated prices.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    mic2smooth
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines