Sign in to follow this  
volunteerchild

Paid Original creditor but still reported unpaid on Experian, need it corrected for job purposes

I had some unpaid medical bills from 2009. I paid them very late but I paid the original creditor and they took and kept my money and I have proof. Yet, the collection agency still reports it unpaid on all three credit buareas despite investigations etc.

Even if it is still reflected on my credit report as paid although late, that's okay. But it is showing unpaid and this is interefering with me getting a security clearnace for work purposes although I paid these bills. Its not so much it being on my report as long as it shows it is paid is my issue. What do you suggest? The amounts are so low that if I sue anyone, it will be in small claims since the amounts in dispute are too low for a lawyer to be interested is what the lawyers told me.

I had some unpaid medical bills from 2009. I paid them very late but I paid the original creditor and they took and kept my money and I have proof. Yet, the collection agency still reports it unpaid on all three credit buareas despite investigations etc.

Even if it is still reflected on my credit report as paid although late, that's okay. But it is showing unpaid and this is interefering with me getting a security clearnace for work purposes although I paid these bills. Its not so much it being on my report as long as it shows it is paid is my issue. What do you suggest? The amounts are so low that if I sue anyone, it will be in small claims since the amounts in dispute are too low for a lawyer to be interested is what the lawyers told me.

opt out

http://whychat.5u.com/OPTOUTINST.HTML

Have you moved since 2009?? If so, try to get your old addresses deleted. Send a handwritten letter to each CRA ,certified only WITHOUT a return receipt- use REAL credit reports To order, visit annualcreditreport.com,or call 1-877-322-8228 ,make a copy of the page where your addresses are, circle the old one(s). State in your letter that you would like to have the circled address(es) of xxx xxx deleted because you are concerned about ID theft/fraud. Provide them with a copy of your drivers license and SS card and an ORIGINAL recent utility bill.

Once the old address(es) are deleted,( IF they need to be) send each CRA where the account is reporting this:

http://whychat.5u.com/hipaadisp.html

Come back to this post for further directions or any questions

send an ITS letter to the CA's

Dear CA,

you are reporting the following accounts in collection;

(list out the accounts)

these accounts have been paid to (original creditor name ) and I have reciepts from this medical provider proving that the accounts have been paid in full

I have disputed your firms reporting of these accounts with ( CRA's names, ) and your company has verified this false information.

Collection accounts that are closed and returned to the original creditors are to be deleted from the Credit reporting agencies, as these accounts are no longer in collection.

further more, if the accounts were paid to the Original creditor, the collection agency can not report these as Paid collection accounts, since no payments were proccessed or paid to the collection agency.

your verifcation of the accounts as still in collection with monies due is a violation of the FDCPA and FCRA, Specifically;

FDCPA violations;

15 USC 1692e(8) providing false information to credit reporting agencies

FCRA violations;

15 U.S.C. § 1681i duties of furnishers to provide accurate information.

15 U.S.C. § 1681s-2 - failure to provide accurate information, failure to correct reporting.

if your firm does not delete the collection accounts, I will turn this matter over to an attorney for review and legal action in federal court. with additional counts as follows.

15 U.S.C. § 1681n Civil liability for willful noncompliance

15 U.S.C. § 1681o Civil liability for negligent noncompliance

Please note that statutory damages awarded under FCRA violations are culmative , and compensation for actual damages are seperate.

Your False reporting is may cost me my securtiy clearance and my career; hence, if actual damges are awarded, these may prove to be very expensive for your firm........

youir Firm has 5 days from the date of the letter to delete these accounts with the CRA's, and don't tell me it can't be done in that time frame.

Dear CA,

(list out the accounts)

these accounts have been paid to (original creditor name ) and I have reciepts from this medical provider proving that the accounts have been paid in full

I have disputed your firms reporting of these accounts with ( CRA's names, ) and your company has verified this false information.

Collection accounts that are closed and returned to the original creditors are to be deleted from the Credit reporting agencies, as these accounts are no longer in collection.

further more, if the accounts were paid to the Original creditor, the collection agency can not report these as Paid collection accounts, since no payments were proccessed or paid to the collection agency.

your verifcation of the accounts as still in collection with monies due is a violation of the FDCPA and FCRA, Specifically;

FDCPA violations;

FCRA violations;

15 U.S.C. § 1681s-2 - failure to provide accurate information, failure to correct reporting.

if your firm does not delete the collection accounts, I will turn this matter over to an attorney for review and legal action in federal court. with additional counts as follows.

Please note that statutory damages awarded under FCRA violations are culmative , and compensation for actual damages are seperate.

Your False reporting is may cost me my securtiy clearance and my career; hence, if actual damges are awarded, these may prove to be very expensive for your firm........

youir Firm has 5 days from the date of the letter to delete these accounts with the CRA's, and don't tell me it can't be done in that time frame.

Good letter for THIS poster, however it is ( IMO) counter productive to the HIPAA letter program at this stage because the initial dispute letter may very well get him the deletion, if it DOESN't then the follow up medical DV will do the job without admitting to the reporting CA that the account was paid to the OC, IF the OC and the reporting CA have NO current relationship, the initial dispute will get the account deleted, if they HAVE a current relationship AND the CA gets the data FROM THE OC that the account was paid, they are precluded from changing the report to a "paid" collection because of the HIPAA privacy rules. The letter that you suggest, however INFORMS the reporting CA of the payment and they can then report it as a paid collection and the poster has little chance of getting THAT mark off his report. Additionally, although having it show as a "paid" collection MAY help his present job dilemma, it will SINK his score.

thanks yall are great. I appreciate the suggestions

Dear CA,

(list out the accounts)

FDCPA violations;

FCRA violations;

Good letter for THIS poster, however it is ( IMO) counter productive to the HIPAA letter program at this stage because the initial dispute letter may very well get him the deletion, if it DOESN't then the follow up medical DV will do the job without admitting to the reporting CA that the account was paid to the OC, IF the OC and the reporting CA have NO current relationship, the initial dispute will get the account deleted, if they HAVE a current relationship AND the CA gets the data FROM THE OC that the account was paid, they are precluded from changing the report to a "paid" collection because of the HIPAA privacy rules. The letter that you suggest, however INFORMS the reporting CA of the payment and they can then report it as a paid collection and the poster has little chance of getting THAT mark off his report. Additionally, although having it show as a "paid" collection MAY help his present job dilemma, it will SINK his score.

not trying to siderail a Hippa dispute, but there are other ways to get a CA off your report.

A CA can't report it as a paid collection if you never paid the CA.

if the OC isn't reporting, and only the CA is, paying the OC directly is a great way to get it off your reports.

if the OC accepts a payment directly, the CA has to close the account - and they can no longer report the account as in collections or as a paid collection. because it isn't.

beyond the FCRA, and FDCPA, the CDIA manual states that collection accounts that are closed and returned to the OC have to be deleted.

I did this myself, ( paid the OC, got a reciept ) and the CA tried to report it as paid.

I promptly sent an ITS letter similar to above, False information, negligent, willful and malicious, etc, etc, and the CA deleted.

not trying to siderail a Hippa dispute, but there are other ways to get a CA off your report.

if the OC isn't reporting, and only the CA is, paying the OC directly is a great way to get it off your reports.

if the OC accepts a payment directly, the CA has to close the account - and they can no longer report the account as in collections or as a paid collection. because it isn't.

beyond the FCRA, and FDCPA, the CDIA manual states that collection accounts that are closed and returned to the OC have to be deleted.

I did this myself, ( paid the OC, got a reciept ) and the CA tried to report it as paid.

I promptly sent an ITS letter similar to above, False information, negligent, willful and malicious, etc, etc, and the CA deleted.

Im a bit confused.....but HOPING I understand.SO,if I pay the Original Creditior and get proof the Collection Agency on my credit report has to delete the collection?

My situation: Collection on my report for Emergency Room for $73

Collection on my report for another hospital for $239

So I can go to the hospitals and pay them directly,and the Collection Agency has to delete?I understand it may take a proof and letters and all that.Just seems much easier than going thru the whole Hippa and validation process,at least for small collections like mine

It's worked for me and a few others. , don't know why it shouldn't work for you.

the laws a credit reporting guidelines seem pretty clear on the fact that if a collection account is closed and returned to the OC, it has to be deleted from your reports

it's always your Choice - I don't know much about the Hippa dispute proccess - I've stayed out of that since we have Whychat and this forum

it doesn't work if the OC itself is reporting.

It's worked for me and a few others. , don't know why it shouldn't work for you.

the laws a credit reporting guidelines seem pretty clear on the fact that if a collection account is closed and returned to the OC, it has to be deleted from your reports

it's always your Choice - I don't know much about the Hippa dispute proccess - I've stayed out of that since we have Whychat and this forum

Nope,its only the Collection Agencies reporting on 2 of my reports,EX and EQ....Im gonna give it a shot,hopefully it bumps myFICO up a few points getting rid of them.

This MIGHT work IF the reporting CA has a current relationship with the OC, however, in THIS CASE, as in MOST medical CA reporting cases, the reporting CA has obtained the data from a data miner, NOT from the OC.

The basis of the HIPAA letter program is to get those "garbage" CAs off the reports, and in those FEW instances ( mostly for accounts under 2 years old) where the reporting CA DOES have a current relationship with the OC, to pay the OC with the HIPAA letter program , thereby FORCING a total deletion, instead of having a "paid" collection.

In addition, even if he TRIED your method, the OC would refuse the payment as they have long since written it off and it is out of their systems. It would be a BIG waste of time and $$.

Edited by Why Chat

After getting a letter from a CA, I called the hospital and simply paid the amount directly using a credit card. The hospital simply mentioned the amount due and I paid that. This amount is same as the one on CA letter. I dont know if I did the right thing or not but should I be calling the hospital (OC?) and talk to them ? (nothing on CR yet)

What is OC?

HOld on - never mind my questions. I didn't realize this was the same situation as in your original post, where it is being reported, just not correctly. Ignore me. :D

Ok....I did pay the OC.Copy of receipt,copy of cashed check and a letter requesting removal were sent to the CA.They have listed it as "Paid in Full"...and stated in their return letter since they previously verified it(they did) they can therefore list it as "Paid in Full" even though I paid the OC????

Help?Advice,next step?

Ok....I did pay the OC.Copy of receipt,copy of cashed check and a letter requesting removal were sent to the CA.They have listed it as "Paid in Full"...and stated in their return letter since they previously verified it(they did) they can therefore list it as "Paid in Full" even though I paid the OC????

Help?Advice,next step?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE would all you posters who glommed on to the ORIGINAL posters thread PLEASE start your own thread. It is VERY DIFFICULT to follow different posts from different people in the same thread.

If the ORIGINAL poster sees this and has followed the instructions I gave in response to HER post:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDEBOOK.html

Then she probably has already obtained her deletion