Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Media

Chase Blacklist Question

So twice in the past year I've received a pre-approval email from Chase/Marriott for the Marriott Rewards card. I travel a lot for business, Marriott is usually the brand we use, I've racked up loads of points with them, etc.

Anyhow, both times I was denied. Both times they cite an old paid CO with Springleaf Financial in their letters as the sole reason for denial.

This past week I decided to call for a recon, and got a different story from the UW I spoke to. He mentioned an old Chase-Amazon card I had that apparently charged off. That hasn't been on my reports in ages now, and it looks like it wasn't one of the accounts I paid to settle when I was in that mode. So I'm blacklisted. I asked why I get the pre-approval emails if they're not going to open a new account. He said I probably meet the criteria set for the card program, and that its possible those mailings don't scrub against "any database" before sending them out. Gee thanks.

Anyhow... I searched around CB a bit, and never found anything on someone paying off an old CO and getting back in good graces with Chase. Has anyone ever done this before? I didn't ask the guy if it was possible when we spoke, and I'll probably call back again tomorrow to talk about that with someone... but wanted to hear from some CB peeps on the idea.

Thoughts? Should I? Why bother? Won't matter?

I would also love to hear the answer to this one. I had a Chase card in college that I think might have been charged off for about $500 back in the late 90s (but I am definitely not sure). I would love to apply for a Chase card (Amazon or United) but have been scared to because of that old account. Given that the amount was low, I would happily pay it off in order to be able to clear my record with them but just don't know if that is possible. I'm also not sure if I am on a blacklist; I've been too chicken to apply and find out...

While I am new I have had some success recently with what was once a stubborn Chase.

Chase's CEO email address is floating around the Internet, if i were you i would try that.I had some lates removed using it. I read that people got charge offs removed and a few unusual changes. Since the CEO has been in the spotlight lately I think they are trying to keep as many people happy as possible, so now is the time.

The thread is on here where people were reporting all of their successes.

Does Chase have Amex-type memory?

While I am new I have had some success recently with what was once a stubborn Chase.

Chase's CEO email address is floating around the Internet, if i were you i would try that.I had some lates removed using it. I read that people got charge offs removed and a few unusual changes. Since the CEO has been in the spotlight lately I think they are trying to keep as many people happy as possible, so now is the time.

The thread is on here where people were reporting all of their successes.

Does Chase have Amex-type memory?

That's an interesting idea. I suppose an email can't hurt. I just want to know I've got a fair shake like anyone else. If I need to pay those old accounts, I probably would. I paid just about everything else. My credit repair journey was as much about taking responsibility as it was learning some hard lessons. It appears I may not be done yet... lol.

I always assumed I was BLed with chase because it was IIB. But after my reports were clear, I was approved for the Amzn visa, UAL visa, CSP, and Palladium. I have since closed amzn and UAL.

It is interesting that chase would let a springleaf account affect new approvals. are you sure these have been Marriott pre-screened offers and not just ITAs?

It is interesting that chase would let a springleaf account affect new approvals. are you sure these have been Marriott pre-screened offers and not just ITAs?

So many others are looking past the old Springleaf at this point, I too am surprised anyone would factor it in their decision. However, it IS on the report, and some are more conservative than others. But clearly they have some old internal DB that's holding me up.

I'm actually NOT sure they are pre-approvals. The email said "you are pre-approved" and the rep. I spoke to suggested that I had met criteria for the card, but once their internal DB came into play, I was out. But I don't know that for sure.

Well... got an answer today. Took up the suggestion to email Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. Less than 24 hours later I had an email from Becky in the Card Services Executive Office. After a few rounds of phone tag, we finally spoke today.

Here's the answer:

Once an account has officially been written off, there is nothing you can do about it. They will not let me pay it. There is no way to modify their "internal records" (as she called it) to indicate any positive status. So depending on how long they hold onto that stuff, there's just no way to be considered anytime soon. She did say that if I wanted to put through an application for something she would walk it through, and see if there was something she can do. So I was thinking about talking to her about the Marriott Rewards application I'd recently done. If they need me to re-app, I might not waste the hit now, and may try with her in six months or so.

But as to making good, that window has closed.

Edited by Mr. Media

Yeah this is usually how Chase works it seems from my research.

Makes sense though. They give you a card, you rack up debt for stuff you want then Chase ends up footing the bill via CO. A "fool me once" type of situation. Take advantage of them once and they're not going let you do it again. I had a similar problem in college where I missed payments and Chase closed the card. Instead of letting get a CO/go to a CA, I did a payment plan through Chase and paid them a set amount every month for years until my debt was completely paid.

I called them regarding the account after it had been paid because I heard rumors of a blacklist and they said I was not on it because Chase didn't have to write anything off.

YMMV I guess.

Lessons learned, I suppose. I had another card that Chase closed on me when things got bad. I paid that one down every month, like clockwork, until I hit $0 and then poof I was out. Totally forgot about the other card I had with them. I think it was a Chase Amazon card. Funny thing is I didn't even use Amazon.com back then... heh.

Oh well, I'll take my licks and keep on truckin.

1342007841[/url]' post='4712574']

Yeah this is usually how Chase works it seems from my research.

Makes sense though. They give you a card, you rack up debt for stuff you want then Chase ends up footing the bill via CO. A "fool me once" type of situation. Take advantage of them once and they're not going let you do it again. I had a similar problem in college where I missed payments and Chase closed the card. Instead of letting get a CO/go to a CA, I did a payment plan through Chase and paid them a set amount every month for years until my debt was completely paid.

I called them regarding the account after it had been paid because I heard rumors of a blacklist and they said I was not on it because Chase didn't have to write anything off.

YMMV I guess.

I had two accounts that were closed by Chase and put on a payment plan also. I was told that I was not blacklisted. I will try to real when I try to get rid of a my baddies first. I really liked my Blueprint and want it back. Chase let me do a payment plan WITHOUT interest and terms that were comfortable for me, unlike others that just wanted the debt to accumulate.

I feel like they will always have my business because they helped me in my time of need lol. Weird, I know.

I feel like they will always have my business because they helped me in my time of need lol. Weird, I know.

Naw, that's not weird. Sometimes the relationships are just worth hanging onto.

Not only does Chase have a long memory for their stuff, but also the lines that they purchased later. My DH had a Providian account that went bad, and even though he paid it off through the CA, they won't give him a card. I have a SW Visa that he can AU on, but was not able to open his own.

Edited to say that the Providian account was charged off before Chase acquired them.

Edited by aeiou

1342040032[/url]' post='4712876']
1342039934[/url]' post='4712874']

Naw, that's not weird. Sometimes the relationships are just worth hanging onto.

So true. Let's just say I see why some banks have nicknames because of their unwillingness to help.

1342040814[/url]' post='4712884']

Not only does Chase have a long memory for their stuff, but also the lines that they purchased later. My DH had a Providian account that went bad, and even though he paid it off through the CA, they won't give him a card. I have a SW Visa that he can AU on, but was not able to open his own.

Edited to say that the Providian account was charged off before Chase acquired them.

Note to self: Once you go bad you can never go back with Chase. Yikes!

1341975599[/url]' post='4712499']

Well... got an answer today. Took up the suggestion to email Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. Less than 24 hours later I had an email from Becky in the Card Services Executive Office. After a few rounds of phone tag, we finally spoke today.

Here's the answer:

Once an account has officially been written off, there is nothing you can do about it. They will not let me pay it. There is no way to modify their "internal records" (as she called it) to indicate any positive status. So depending on how long they hold onto that stuff, there's just no way to be considered anytime soon. She did say that if I wanted to put through an application for something she would walk it through, and see if there was something she can do. So I was thinking about talking to her about the Marriott Rewards application I'd recently done. If they need me to re-app, I might not waste the hit now, and may try with her in six months or so.

Aww that sucks. Hopefully she can help you later when you feel like app'ing.

Here's the answer:

Thanks for the update and clarification on Chase's policy.

It doesnt make sense though. What would be the incentive to pay the debt. They should use the Amex model.

Makes sense though. They give you a card, you rack up debt for stuff you want then Chase ends up footing the bill via CO. A "fool me once" type of situation.

YMMV

Do non-credit card Chase accounts crossover to the BL on credit card accounts? I had an auto-loan go south with them 8 years ago, but my mortgage with them has been pristine from day 1, 13 years ago. I was thinking about the Marriott Premier because I spend so many nights in Marriotts already. If it's impossible, then I'll get the SPG Amex since I have a harder time maintaining platinum with them due to fewer locations.

Did you explicitly walk the underwriter/recon CSR rep through what you wanted them to do?

I.e, "I understand about the charge off, but as you can see I have strongly rebuilt my credit, blah blah." Throw in something about having tried to make repayment arrangements but was told there is nothing you can do, etc.

They always start with the "you caused a loss to the bank, there's nothing we can do" -- but there is, and they do.

I settled a Chase CO back in 06 and they bring it up and ask me about it every time I call the UW. But it hasn't prevented me from getting new cards and CLIs. Although they haven't been anywhere near as generous as BofA and I had a settled CO with them as well but they have never mentioned it.

My brother BK 7 in 2004. One of the cards was a BP gas card for 178.00. Two months ago he applied for Chase Freedom and was instantly denied. I told him to go to his local Chase bank branch and ask for recon. This is when they told him it was because of the BP 178.00 that was BK'd back in 2004. They gave him a 10 grand Freedom card.

Here's the answer:

What the rep told you was on the assumption that the debt was sold to a JDB. If the debt is still owed by Chase then they can adjust their internal records.