Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Upgrading USAA to Full Member?

The last post in this topic was posted 3131 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello, would it be possible to upgrade my USAA account to full member if my father was in the army? I can see in my profile where I can add my own military service but not a family member... as far as I know children of military people can be a full member right?

Thanks.

Hello, would it be possible to upgrade my USAA account to full member if my father was in the army? I can see in my profile where I can add my own military service but not a family member... as far as I know children of military people can be a full member right?

Thanks.

You can't become a full member unless the person sponsoring you (your father in this case) actually was a member and had insurance thru USAA.. That's the way it was explained to me.

Thanks.

You can't become a full member unless the person sponsoring you (your father in this case) actually was a member and had insurance thru USAA.. That's the way it was explained to me.

Yup, full membership only transfers down to children directly from parents who had USAA insurance products, specifically auto and/or home from my understanding.

If you Farther where to join USAA today with full membership and then get auto or home insurance you would become a full member as long as you have them link his USAA# and yours.

Ok, so talked to dad...he told me to sign him up. I got him all set up and it took all his info and I was able to link us together. But just to be clear, even though our accounts are linked I still can't be a full member unless he purchases a product right?

I logged into my account and tried to do an auto quote and it says:

This product or service is unavailable to you due to one or more of the following reasons:

Membership eligibility requirements

Other information drawn from your Personal Profile

Age requirements (must be 18 or older)

State or foreign restrictions

So, I'm guessing the answer is yes. :)

Ok, so talked to dad...he told me to sign him up. I got him all set up and it took all his info and I was able to link us together. But just to be clear, even though our accounts are linked I still can't be a full member unless he purchases a product right?

I logged into my account and tried to do an auto quote and it says:

This product or service is unavailable to you due to one or more of the following reasons:

Membership eligibility requirements

Other information drawn from your Personal Profile

Age requirements (must be 18 or older)

State or foreign restrictions

So, I'm guessing the answer is yes. :)

As soon as he buys an auto or property insurance policy you will be eligible for full membership. I think I checked an hour or two after my father bought insurance and I was eligible at that time. Prior to my father buying a policy I got the same message you reference above.

USAA offers a product called a 'Valuable Personal Property' insurance policy. That policy gives $2500 of coverage for jewelry or other specific property for a premium of about $20-$25/year.

This is the minimum policy that your dad can obtain for you to get full eligibility ... ask me how I know (Thanks Dad!!!). :)

Oooooo.... that is extremely helpful. You are my hero. ;) Can you sign up for that on their website?

Edited by cputrwz

Oooooo.... that is extremely helpful. You are my hero. ;) Can you sign up for that on their website?

Of COURSE!! :grin:

If you decide to purchase a Valuable Personal Property policy, you will [ALSO] need a USAA Homeowners or Renters insurance policy1

1Applicants in FL, GA, HI, ME, NH, NY can purchase a Valuable Personal Property policy without a Homeowners or Renters policy. Contact a USAA representative for details. Underwriting restrictions apply.

https://www.usaa.com...jump=jp_vpp_ins

Edited by Bad Debt King

The last post in this topic was posted 3131 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.