speaking of etiquette...baby shower WWYD

The last post in this topic was posted 3256 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

and how would you feel?

you work at an office where you develop relationships with certain co workers... nothing all BFF-ish...just out for lunch together sometimes... you may share a recipe here & there and even may bring in a sample of that pineapple upside down cake you are famous for....

you leave company... you dont hear from ( nor do you reach out to) anyone from there again....

about 18 months later you receive a baby shower invitation from your co-worker with the baby shower registry list for her daughter ( whom apparently got married & is now pregnant with ex-coworkers 1st grandchild). It is being held at a not so inexpensive banquet hall.....

WWYD (someone posted this on another forum I frequent...)

If I had not been inclined to speak with or see the co-workers for 18+ months, I certainly wouldn't feel compelled to attend a baby shower for one of their children. Honestly, it sounds like an invitation for a gift only, which I would ignore.

My MIL is one of those tit-for-tat people. When DD graduated high school several years ago, MIL sent us a list of her friends to whom she wanted us to send graduation announcements. What?! She said she had sent so many gifts over the years to their grandchildren for graduations, weddings, showers, etc., they could certainly do the same for her grandchild. I don't like that. When I send invitations and/or announcements, it's not to generate a gift, it's to have them join us for a celebration. I tossed her list of addresses.

Umm...not happening...

I'm so tired of people turning a wedding or baby shower into a gift grab!!!

I get invites from people I haven't seen or talked to in years and I co-hosted a baby shower last

summer where the invite list kept getting longer and longer and longer. The mom to be ended up "planning" most of it- the other host and I were just big wallets. We ended up with almost 75 guests at a baby shower! I wouldn't want to write that many thank you cards!

So, no. If I don't see or talk to you on a regular basis you will be getting my regrets that I am not able to make it and a nice CARD.

Edited by Mollie

my response was...obviously you werent good enough to to receive a phone call to see if you were even alive and well after 18 months... and the feeling has to be pretty mutual since you didnt call her either...

you werent ( or special) good enough to receive an invite and/or wedding announcement...

but NOW that they have secure an expensive venue for a baby shower, they are inviting evenone on this side of the hemisphere just to ensure they get an abundance of gifts...

Id reply that you decline the invitation and with the new parents all the best...no present inclused

If I wanted to go and visit with former co-workers, I would go and bring a gift. If I felt it was just a gift grab, and I wouldn't know anyone there, I would send my regrets. (And since I wouldn't be attending and don't know the chick, there would be no gift).

If I wanted to go and visit with former co-workers, I would go and bring a gift. If I felt it was just a gift grab, and I wouldn't know anyone there, I would send my regrets. (And since I wouldn't be attending and don't know the chick, there would be no gift).

Agree.

I must add that as the guest of honor, I would be mortified if my mom invited people whom neither I nor my husband know.

so the lady says she got a response from her old co-worker...something to the effect Im sorry you cant come, would've been nice to spend some time together.... and now the OP is all up in arms thinking the ex-coworker really wanted to spand time with her...

I call BS! you dont spend time together at a baby shower with 100 other folks.... GTFOOHWTBS if she wanted to spend time with her, she woulda called.." He, lets do lunch/coffee/shopping..."

The last post in this topic was posted 3256 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.