Sign in to follow this  
Burgerwars

RBC Royal Bank Virtual Visa Debit

I found this link on the back of my RBC statement today explaining this new service: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/visa-debit

I probably won't bother asking for one, but does anyone know if it's a plastic card or a piece of paper with the Visa card number, CVV2 and expiration date on them?

I'm unsure why RBC isn't offering a Visa debit card for those who want one of those in addition/or instead of their Client Card. Their RBC USA subsidiary does, as does most every other bank in the U.S. It's kind of limiting to have a card that only works online that really isn't like those single or limited use virtual numbers you get from card issuers like Citibank. I'm thinking this card still can be used at stores/supermarkets/gas stations if you can get the sales clerk to manually key in the numbers from the card (it has no magnetic stripe or chip). But that's a big if.

The RBC Virtual Visa Debit Card did arrive in the mail. It's a plastic card about half the thickness of a regular credit card with my name and account information imprinted on it. The card has an expiration date six years in the future. I still think they should issue a regular debit card that can be used anywhere. Maybe in the future they'll go that direction.

I did try it to make an online purchase. The account was accepted. No problems there.

Edited by Burgerwars

I assume you have interac card. Check the back for either a NYCE or Maestro logo. If it has one of those logo's, you should be able to use it in the U.S. as a debit (pin transaction). If it doesn't call RBC and ask if they can add NYCE logo to your Interac card(Not all banks in Canada have this feature). Tell them you will be making purchases in the U.S. I assume you are from Canada. NYCE logo would give you more stores than Maestro logo would.

If you do get the NYCE add to the card, make sure you tell the bank when you will be making purchases in the U.S.

Edited by groze

I assume you have interac card. Check the back for either a NYCE or Maestro logo. If it has one of those logo's, you should be able to use it in the U.S. as a debit (pin transaction). If it doesn't call RBC and ask if they can add NYCE logo to your Interac card(Not all banks in Canada have this feature). Tell them you will be making purchases in the U.S. I assume you are from Canada. NYCE logo would give you more stores than Maestro logo would.

If you do get the NYCE add to the card, make sure you tell the bank when you will be making purchases in the U.S.

Yep, I have the Interac card. RBC Royal Bank calls it their Client Card. It has the Plus System symbol on back. They mailed me a new card late last year with the chip.

I'm a U.S. resident but have a checking account with RBC Royal Bank. I've had it for a very long time. If I wanted a credit card from RBC Royal Bank, since I'm not a Canadian resident the only credit card they will issue me is a secured card. I've never bothered. I do though have a checking account with RBC Bank USA. They never transferred that to PNC Bank when they sold that unit to them since I'm a Royal Bank customer. I have a RBC Bank USA credit and debit card, so I've got all the cards with them.

From RBC's website: You can also use your Client Card to make point-of-sale (debit) purchases at any of the 1,000,000 merchants in the United States that use the NYCE Network.

Edited by Burgerwars