Sign in to follow this  
SnowdIn

Indian Reservations requiring ID

I just found out today that merchants aren't supposed to ask for ID. For the past 4 years (since I turned 18) at every Indian Reservation I go to, they have signs up that government issued ID is required for all credit card purchases.

I was never ID'd paying cash, so they weren't ID'ing to make sure I was of age to buy tobacco. I've been denied sales if I didn't have my ID with me.

Is there any exception to the no ID required rule on reservations?

I'm going tonight and I'm wondering if it's worth it to make a stink. They don't really seem to care about rules. Smoking inside a place of business is illegal in NYS but you see almost everybody smoking cigarettes inside their smoke shops.

I'm not mad, I was just doing some reading here and according to Visa and MC, merchants aren't allowed to require ID. On my way there last night I figured if I didn't show ID for my MC, they couldn't still make me show it to purchase tobacco so the end result would be them seeing my ID anyways.

I'm not mad, I was just doing some reading here and according to Visa and MC, merchants aren't allowed to require ID. On my way there last night I figured if I didn't show ID for my MC, they couldn't still make me show it to purchase tobacco so the end result would be them seeing my ID anyways.

Not entirely true.

MC does not permit ID - UNLESS THE CARD IS UNSIGNED.

VISA permits ID - however if a card is signed and the cardholder refuses to show ID the transaction cannot be refused.

Actually the Official Indiana Reservation may be allowed to check ID. Technically, Indiana Reservations are not part of U.S. They do have to go by some Federal Laws but not all. They don't have to go by any state laws. They have their own laws though.

Actually the Official Indiana Reservation may be allowed to check ID. Technically, Indiana Reservations are not part of U.S. They do have to go by some Federal Laws but not all. They don't have to go by any state laws. They have their own laws though.

The VISA/MC ID policy isn't "law." It's a contract between the merchant and the credit card. It's not something that they can just "get out of" by claiming sovereignty.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. JessieLyn
      JessieLyn
    2. LalaPed
      LalaPed
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    mekarobinson
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines