Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

MASTER Which is the Best Cashback Card...

The last post in this topic was posted 2156 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

With all of the periodic "which card should I get" or "which card is the best for..." threads, I thought I would try my hand at listing the BEST cash back cards based on categories. The purpose of this list was not to list every card with rewards but only to list cards that are the BEST for an individual category.

I used a few (arbitrary) criteria:

• Introductory offers were excluded
  • Cards with rotating categories were excluded
  • Cards no longer available were excluded
  • All cards listed have no or very high rewards caps (for example, the Citi Forward card has an annual cap of ~$750
  • For cards that reward with points, I listed the CB percentage for cash equivalents (e.g. visa gift cards) or CB after coverting points to cash in the most optimal manner (e.g. gift card to plastic jungle)
  • While I wasn't considering actual airline miles or hotel points, I did include the Amex starwood, as the points can be directly converted to branded airline miles at up to a 1.25 miles/$

I didn't have the answer for some categories such as drugstores or movies. I have a Cap1 card (no longer available) that offers 4.5% CB for both of these without a cap, but did not include this on the list. Everyone's thoughts AND ADDITIONS would be greatly appreciated! If I'm missing a category or card, please feel free to let me know, and I will update.

6870479348_4ffd9188a2_b.jpg

Edited by qwerty4

I think we can beat that on airline tickets. Penfed Amex comes to mind.

I am going to have to pick up THE NEGOTIATOR one of these days.

I think we can beat that on airline tickets. Penfed Amex comes to mind.

I am going to have to pick up THE NEGOTIATOR one of these days.

PenFed Travel AMEX is a great add. You are correct...definitely the travel card.

What about that 5% Sallie May card? 5% on books (Amazon), gas and groceries...

Also, I thought Penfed changed up their points structure so now it's no longer a great deal?

I thought Sallie Mae might be dead? Last I followed, it was getting harder and harder to find a link and then I thought it went away.

There is also Chase AARP but it's intro for 6 months. I could get behind having a thread for only long term best rewards.

PNC Everyday Rewards Visa: 4% on gasoline purchases, 3% on cinema video rentals, 2% on groceries, restaurant purchases and 1% for purchasers over $10,000, .25 under $10,000.

Ron.

PNC Everyday Rewards Visa: 4% on gasoline purchases, 3% on cinema video rentals, 2% on groceries, restaurant purchases and 1% for purchasers over $10,000, .25 under $10,000.

Ron.

Added Penfed Travel Rewards and PNC. I will look in to Sallie Mae, though I thought it was DC.

6870551778_f92c2c2579_b.jpg

BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card

Earn 1% cash back on every purchase, 2% on groceries, and 3% on gas (Quarterly maximum applies to bonus rewards on grocery and gas purchases)

Ron.

Discover Open Road Card: Double(2%) cash rewards on your gas and dining purchases,

plus rewards on every purchase you make.

Ron.

Added Office Supply and Cell Phone Service Categories

Added Amex Simply Cash Business and Chase Amazon.com Visa

6871169404_9134578732_b.jpg

Edited by qwerty4

some mention of the annual fees some of these cards carry seems in order. Nasa's 1, 1.25, and 2% card is not listed.

isn't the 3% for penfed amex dining a promo?

Edited by hegemony

some mention of the annual fees some of these cards carry seems in order. Nasa's 1, 1.25, and 2% card is not listed.

isn't the 3% for penfed amex dining a promo?

Great suggestions. Interestingly enough, when I was looking at the terms of the nasa 2% card, it is (again?) based on monthly spend. I know when I looked at this a few months ago, this read the 2% threshold was obtained after hitting 2k of annual spend. I even remember a few posts to this effect. Do any cardholders know if the 2k threshold is per year or month?

7019192569_cb122a9467_b.jpg

Changes:

• Added AF for each card
  • Updated PL.com visa to reflect pl.com discount
  • Added FKFCU 5% gas card
  • Added both Penfed platinum cash and platinum rewards cards
  • Removed 3% promotional grocery discount from Penfed travel card.
  • Added Nasa 2% card
  • Removed PNC 4/3/2/1 card - no longer seems to be available

Thank you everyone! Please keep them coming if there are better cards I have overlooked or categories I should add.

Edited by qwerty4

In your most recent iteration of the chart, you need to mark that the Citi Forward also gets its 5 point bonus at the movies.

Good catch:

7019814185_54025b25f5_b.jpg

Suddenly everyone's doing this :P

Was there another thread I missed (slaps head)? The purpose of this thread was to identify the BEST card for each category and not to be a collection or repository of all cash back card or the even the very good ones. It helps me (and hopefully others) populate a future wish list for the few cards on the list that I don't have yet :D

Suddenly everyone's doing this :P

Was there another thread I missed (slaps head)? The purpose of this thread was to identify the BEST card for each category and not to be a collection or repository of all cash back card or the even the very good ones. It helps me (and hopefully others) populate a future wish list for the few cards on the list that I don't have yet :D

I started doing the same thing the same day you did :lol:http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=487712&st=0&gopid=4650321entry4650321

I posted it over on FW and somebody else put theirs up in my thread.

No biggie, more info is better!

the official "mouse print" for the NASA rewards card states annual spend for the tiers. The website says monthly. Since the legally binding agreement is what matters, the annual spend seems to be the basis for rewards tiers.

The last post in this topic was posted 2156 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.