Tell Me About Roku

The last post in this topic was posted 3377 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So..I am dumping Comcast. They will be solely my internet provider. I have decided to cut costs instead of paying $130/month for internet + TV I will pay $59 a month for my Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu+ subscriptions and internet thus saving me $846/year.

I am thinking Roku might be a good addition but I cannot seem to grasp what it does. I mean I know it streams shows and movies so is it like Netflix. Does it steam live TV or...?

I went years without cable and have only had it back for the past 8 months or so. I can go without again as long as I have access to streaming.

It is like Netflix.

When you first turn it on, you are on the home screen which is full of channels. The channels are kind of like the Wii's channels, if you've used a Wii.

The channels I use are Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Instant Prime. There are many, many other channels. Some are free and some are pay.

There is not a "Houston Channel 13" channel. The same programs that are on that channel are probably available on various channels. It's a bit of a paradigm shift in how you watch TV.

I pay $8/month for Netflix, 8$/month for Hulu Plus, and 40$/year for Amazon Prime. Between these providers, I have plenty of stuff to watch and then some. Much cheaper than cable or satellite. I like it.

FYI, there's a Roku 2 XS model that included the ability to play games on your TV like Angry Birds. I thought it was cool when I first got it but honestly, it's not something you want to pay extra for. I would buy an XD or LT if I were buying mine today.

I love mine. Have one in the living room and one in the bedroom.

So if you have a bluray capable of already playing Netflix, amazon, and Hulu and a play station2, what is the point of roku?

Exactly what I was going to ask. :lol:

The benefit to me is that I don't have to have my bluray player, PS3, or XBOX360 on. The Roku draws something like 5 watts when in use and 1 watt when idle. It stays on all the time, ready to stream at a moment's notice. My xbox can stream netflix but I have to turn it on, which is kind of loud, plus it sucks power (something like 160 watts.)

I really like my Roku. It's a good device. It's tiny and I don't even see it sitting next to the TV.

So if you have a bluray capable of already playing Netflix, amazon, and Hulu and a play station2, what is the point of roku?

The benefit to me is that I don't have to have my bluray player, PS3, or XBOX360 on. The Roku draws something like 5 watts when in use and 1 watt when idle. It stays on all the time, ready to stream at a moment's notice. My xbox can stream netflix but I have to turn it on, which is kind of loud, plus it sucks power (something like 160 watts.)

I really like my Roku. It's a good device. It's tiny and I don't even see it sitting next to the TV.

Oh.

So, my average electric bill is under $40. I'm going to guess I'm ok skipping the roku. :unsure:

Hell my average electric bill is A LOT more than $40, but I just can't justify the cost of yet another thing to plug into the tv. Plus, I don't have that many connection points to the tv and it is a PITA to use the back connector on my 52 inch monstrosity. The blu ray is already always plugged in and the ps2 gets plugged into the front when he plays games (DH hasn't figured out how to connect the ps2 to our wifi and I gave up after entering the code fifty million times just to get an error msg)

Edited by angeleyeskkhr

Oh.

So, my average electric bill is under $40. I'm going to guess I'm ok skipping the roku. :unsure:

:swoon:

I have no idea what you do to keep a $40 electric bill, but I defer to you in all matters alternating current-related from here on out.

I think in the winter, when I don't turn on the heat at all because I'm cheap frugal, my bill gets to maybe upper $40s. As in, nothing but the fridge, a computer, and some lights are on all month.

we gave Time Warner the boot last month (only kept internet) for Roku. We love it, but I miss having live news available, so we may have to get an antenna. Regardless, we are saving $1056.00 per year so I will adjust! Our investment in the four boxes will pay off in just a couple months.

:swoon:

I have no idea what you do to keep a $40 electric bill, but I defer to you in all matters alternating current-related from here on out.

I think in the winter, when I don't turn on the heat at all because I'm cheap frugal, my bill gets to maybe upper $40s. As in, nothing but the fridge, a computer, and some lights are on all month.

I have no idea :lol:

We don't have central heat/air; we have a wall unit AC in the living room, and fans in the bedrooms... I don't think we've turned on the AC unit once in almost 3 years. We have wall heaters in the living room and bedrooms - those I do use sometimes, but not often, and not for very long. We have a PC and a laptop, a bunch of video game things, one TV... electric stove, not gas. I have no idea how our bill is that low. But it's pretty consistent.

The last post in this topic was posted 3377 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.