Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Dad Uses Facebook to Teach His Daughter A Lesson

The last post in this topic was posted 3178 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

While I didn't agree with shooting the laptop even though I get what he was trying to do.. no way would I have called CPS/Police.. there is true child abuse going on, and I wish that those people would put as much effort into trying to stop that.. but I digress.

Edited by beli

http://www.wsoctv.co...-visit-a/nHbcR/

The former Marine wrote on his Facebook page that Child Protective Services officials came to his home in Stanly Co. on Saturday and interviewed him and his daughter — separately — after viewers of the video called with concerns about his actions.

He said the police also stopped by.

"The police by the way said 'Kudos, sir,' " Jordan wrote. "I actually had a "thank you" from an entire detectives squad. And another police officer is using it in a positive manner in his presentation for the school system. How's about those apples? Didn't expect THAT when you called the cops did you?"

Police officials in Albemarle told Channel 9 they have received dozens of calls and emails asking why they haven't done anything about the video. Officials said Jordan lives outside of city limits, so his actions are outside of their jurisdiction.

Officials at the Stanly County Sheriff's Office said there are no laws against what Jordan did, so they will not be investigating the matter.

In the Saturday Facebook post, Jordan said he does not regret making the video and stands by his decision to post it.

CPS ? Yeah, bet he had a short talk with the daughter - "Just remember, it's not me that will be sent off to foster care if you lie. "

and Exactly what were the police supposed to do about the video?

The folks calling up were only complaining because they now look like spineless wimps.

And I'd be willing to bet that those chumps who called the police either 1) don't have kids or 2) have kids who are running them. People like that are part of the problem.

And I'd be willing to bet that those chumps who called the police either 1) don't have kids or 2) have kids who are running them. People like that are part of the problem.

Im guessing they have kids.... These type of parents are the President of the PTA as well as the Chairperson of the Time-Out Corner...

Those types chap my neither-regions. <_<

I was hoping no one would notice that tidbit...

Albemarle has an awesome Drive In. Better than the Belmont Drive In, imho. And yes you will on occasion find me there during the warmer months. It's a nice little redneck town. :grin:

You know. I knew this was going to make me very angry, and I tried hard to avoid watching it. Tried darn hard. But in the end I couldn't escape it.

All I will say is this. When you destroy someone's personal belongings in a violent way for the simple purpose of "teaching them a lesson", it isn't just an attack on the object. It is a projection of attacking the actual person, in the same, exact, way, as tearing apart a picture of someone you hate. This man decided to empty a fire arm into something that belonged, and was very important to his daughter, and did this to publicly humiliate her in front of her friends and in front of the entire world.

There are those who will say "Well she said on facebook that.." The man is an adult. His daughter is a child. Taking away the laptop for a negotiable period of time is a punishment, destroying through a deliberate act of violence is an attack, and quite frankly I hold an adult, a father, to different standards then those to which I hold a child, whom he doesn't understand and doesn't care to try to. There are people who should not be parents, and anyone, anyone, anyone, who expresses their anger at their children through use of a fire arm are at the very top of that list.

To all of you who think that this is a great idea, let us just evaluate computers as what they are. They are to kids today, what diaries were to children of earlier generations. It is sad, it is inappropriate, it is even dangerous, but it is true. And so I ask, how would any of you responded if one of your parents got on the local news, proceeded to tear out each page of your diary, one by one, read it aloud, and then throw it into a fire, just because they read something in it that they didn't like? It is equally as deliberate an act of spite.

A lot of people seem to be really just behind this, and, okay, yeah, sure, fine. I am sure a lot of people have thought about doing stuff like this. And I am sure the emotional trauma of this, and of all her friends laughing at her, will leave a permanent mark. A mark that she may carry for the rest of her life, and never, ever forgive him for. But if I did this, specifically, to someone I claim to love, I would bare the look on her face, when she found out what I had done, the look of outrage, of shame, of pain, and of hatred, the face that would prove to tarnish every memory of my love for her as a child, it would haunt me, for the rest of my life, every time I closed my eyes, staring back at me. It would follow me to the darkness of the grave, and it would follow me to judgement.

No. I am not a Father. But in my love for my little sister, I want only for her to always be happy, to succeed in everything she does, and I bare every mistake, and every short word I have hurt her with in my heart. But no, I guess I don't know anything about parenting at all.

There, I've said it, so moving on..

All I can take away from this article is that these people have a Facebook page for their dog. The people I know that do crap like that are special...

I still agree with the Father.

This was the 2nd time she had done something like this.

she's 15 years old, not 10, and her statements carry more weight and grief at 15.

and teenagers need to know that there are real life consequences for their actions and words.

sometimes those consequences can be harsh.

Hate to break it to you, Echo...but kids don't have personal belongings. Everything they have is due to their parents, they're just allowed to borrow it out of the goodness of their parents' hearts.

People were telling her she was going to commit suicide, commit a gun-related crime, become a drug addict, drop out of school, get pregnant on purpose, and become a stripper because she’s too emotionally damaged now to be a productive member of society. Apparently stripper was the job-choice of most of the commenters. Her response was “Dude… it’s only a computer. I mean, yeah I’m mad but pfft.” She actually asked me to post a comment on one of the threads (and I did) asking what other job fields the victims of laptop-homicide were eligible for because she wasn’t too keen on the stripping thing"

doesn't sound too damaged about it.

This man decided to empty a fire arm into something that belonged, and was very important to his daughter, and did this to publicly humiliate her in front of her friends and in front of the entire world.

The laptop only "belonged" to her at his discretion. That goes for pretty much anything a child possesses, regardless of how she got it. The fact that he likely bought it doesn't even matter. I'd fully support a parent selling their teenager's car, that the teen works and pays the payments and insurance for, if they find out the kid is out street racing or breaking curfew or having sex in the back seat or letting their grades drop or as an appropriate punishment for any transgression the parents deem major enough to do so.

Taking away the laptop for a negotiable period of time is a punishment

Two things I have an issue with here. First, they tried that and it didn't work. You're ignoring the fact that this is the second time the daughter has done something like this. Second, you don't negotiate rules and punishment with your kids. Too many people do. My wife used to, without even realizing it. I'm sure my stepkids hate me sometimes, as when their mother tells them to do something the first words out of their mouths used to be "can I just/can I wait/do I have to" at which point I'd make a comment to my wife about negotiations.

To all of you who think that this is a great idea, let us just evaluate computers as what they are. They are to kids today, what diaries were to children of earlier generations. It is sad, it is inappropriate, it is even dangerous, but it is true. And so I ask, how would any of you responded if one of your parents got on the local news, proceeded to tear out each page of your diary, one by one, read it aloud, and then throw it into a fire, just because they read something in it that they didn't like? It is equally as deliberate an act of spite.

That's overly simplistic. Presumably, your hypothetical child didn't themselves get on the news, reading from said diary snotty comments about you and the rest of the family, twice, before you reacted. Also, see the point above. A diary is as private as the parents allow it to be. The parents have every right to read it at any time, and respond as they see fit to whatever it contains. The same goes for emails, Facebook accounts and cell phone text message logs.

No. I am not a Father. But in my love for my little sister, I want only for her to always be happy, to succeed in everything she does, and I bare every mistake, and every short word I have hurt her with in my heart. But no, I guess I don't know anything about parenting at all.

You're only embracing the easy, and in some ways less important, part. I'm sure this man loves his children and always wants them to be happy too. If you raised a child that was never denied anything, they'd be quite happy. They'd also have no moral compass, no ambition, no work ethic, would be filled with self righteous indignation at any perceived unfairness or slight and would ultimately be a failure in their adult life. Ultimately, your job is to protect your kids, most often from themselves, and raise them to be responsible adults. That means setting rules, enforcing punishments and telling them no. None of which makes them happy.

This man decided to empty a fire arm into something that belonged, and was very important to his daughter, and did this to publicly humiliate her in front of her friends and in front of the entire world.

The laptop only "belonged" to her at his discretion. That goes for pretty much anything a child possesses, regardless of how she got it. The fact that he likely bought it doesn't even matter. I'd fully support a parent selling their teenager's car, that the teen works and pays the payments and insurance for, if they find out the kid is out street racing or breaking curfew or having sex in the back seat or letting their grades drop or as an appropriate punishment for any transgression the parents deem major enough to do so.

Two things I have an issue with here. First, they tried that and it didn't work. You're ignoring the fact that this is the second time the daughter has done something like this. Second, you don't negotiate rules and punishment with your kids. Too many people do. My wife used to, without even realizing it. I'm sure my stepkids hate me sometimes, as when their mother tells them to do something the first words out of their mouths used to be "can I just/can I wait/do I have to" at which point I'd make a comment to my wife about negotiations.

That's overly simplistic. Presumably, your hypothetical child didn't themselves get on the news, reading from said diary snotty comments about you and the rest of the family, twice, before you reacted. Also, see the point above. A diary is as private as the parents allow it to be. The parents have every right to read it at any time, and respond as they see fit to whatever it contains. The same goes for emails, Facebook accounts and cell phone text message logs.

You're only embracing the easy, and in some ways less important, part. I'm sure this man loves his children and always wants them to be happy too. If you raised a child that was never denied anything, they'd be quite happy. They'd also have no moral compass, no ambition, no work ethic, would be filled with self righteous indignation at any perceived unfairness or slight and would ultimately be a failure in their adult life. Ultimately, your job is to protect your kids, most often from themselves, and raise them to be responsible adults. That means setting rules, enforcing punishments and telling them no. None of which makes them happy.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Hate to break it to you, Echo...but kids don't have personal belongings. Everything they have is due to their parents, they're just allowed to borrow it out of the goodness of their parents' hearts.

I haven't seen the tape but after reading this thread I've come to the conclusion. . .

I wouldn't have shot the laptop, it would have just gotten "snapped" in half.

Said laptop has internet service (that I pay for) which means I have every right to check and see what's going on. I don't care if it was a gift from me, dad, granny, auntie, etc., you still need that service to use said laptop.

As for the permanent scar, I'm not buying it. . . my uncle whoop my tail in front of my entire 5th grade class in the school yard, because I did something I had no business. Am I scarred (sp?) . . . heck no, I'm as normal as they come, but it taught me a lesson I'll never forget!!

I'm as normal as they come,

now ya gonna leave this hanging out there for me, huh??? LMAO!!!

but yeah, I agree with all of what ya said

:wub:

Except the bold part... I thought that's why Backseats were invented...:ph34r:

:lol:

People were telling her she was going to commit suicide, commit a gun-related crime, become a drug addict, drop out of school, get pregnant on purpose, and become a stripper because she’s too emotionally damaged now to be a productive member of society. Apparently stripper was the job-choice of most of the commenters. Her response was “Dude… it’s only a computer. I mean, yeah I’m mad but pfft.” She actually asked me to post a comment on one of the threads (and I did) asking what other job fields the victims of laptop-homicide were eligible for because she wasn’t too keen on the stripping thing"

Why would people say that? Do they really believe all that tripe? Or is it just internet trolling? I don't get it.

Are we really such a stupid society?

I think the man's a nutcase. Regardless of what she did, I fail to see how destroying a computer with a gun is in any way, shape or form, helpful. Yes, she's immature and has a lot of growing up to do. But so does he.

Like father like daughter.

Edited by Nostromo

<snip all the drivel>

Spoken as a true non-parent. :lol:

All I can take away from this article is that these people have a Facebook page for their dog. The people I know that do crap like that are special...

YES. That concerned me way more than any inappropriate gun usage. :huh:

Word.

People were telling her she was going to commit suicide, commit a gun-related crime, become a drug addict, drop out of school, get pregnant on purpose, and become a stripper because she's too emotionally damaged now to be a productive member of society. Apparently stripper was the job-choice of most of the commenters. Her response was "Dude… it's only a computer. I mean, yeah I'm mad but pfft." She actually asked me to post a comment on one of the threads (and I did) asking what other job fields the victims of laptop-homicide were eligible for because she wasn't too keen on the stripping thing"

Why would people say that? Do they really believe all that tripe? Or is it just internet trolling? I don't get it.

Are we really such a stupid society?

Yes - It's the great divide.

one person give 's their kids that "swift kick in the flowers "( figuratively)

that is sometimes so despreately needed.

and the other person will say it's abusive.

it all dates back to when the Principals at schools stopped being able to spank the miscreants

I remember HS Senior's being told to bend over and grab thier ankles and they were 2x the size of the principal.

My child pulled some FB crap last year. She lost ALL of her makeup, flat iron, her bedroom door, laptop, cell phone, all but 2 outfits, and ultimately? Her ROOM. I am only required to provide food, clothing, and shelter.

This lasted over 6 months, with her slowly (veeerrryyyy slowly) earning items back.

Rude awakening to go to school in 1 of only 2 outfits, no makeup, nappy unflatironed hair, and no makeup. :mellow: Not my problem. She'd come home from school, and sit in the family room with nothing but her homework, and a history book of my choosing. Around 9:00 pm she was allowed to shower, and go to her room to sleep.

I'm sure she still hates me for it, however, she's been a respectful angel since. Also, I've heard from other parents MY punishment straightened their own rugrats out, for fear it'd be copied. :blush2:

My child pulled some FB crap last year. She lost ALL of her makeup, flat iron, her bedroom door, laptop, cell phone, all but 2 outfits, and ultimately? Her ROOM. I am only required to provide food, clothing, and shelter.

This lasted over 6 months, with her slowly (veeerrryyyy slowly) earning items back.

Rude awakening to go to school in 1 of only 2 outfits, no makeup, nappy unflatironed hair, and no makeup. :mellow: Not my problem. She'd come home from school, and sit in the family room with nothing but her homework, and a history book of my choosing. Around 9:00 pm she was allowed to shower, and go to her room to sleep.

I'm sure she still hates me for it, however, she's been a respectful angel since. Also, I've heard from other parents MY punishment straightened their own rugrats out, for fear it'd be copied. :blush2:

I LOVE YOU!! Will you MARRY ME!!!

You should unlurk more often :lol:

I just got a bit moist. :wub:

No need to lurk. We welcome you.

Edited by orangecrush

The last post in this topic was posted 3178 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.