Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

The Master Credit Card & Authorized User AU Social Security Number SSN Thread

The last post in this topic was posted 1744 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I haven't finished reading everything yet, but had a quick question. Is there a secured card that both husband and wife can be on (and report to both's credit?). NFCU says they can do it from a joint account, but not joint cardholders. Cap1 says no. BOA wouldn't even approve us. I just hate to drop $500-1,000 so we can both get one. But neither of us have any revolving accounts at all and could really use one, even with a low limit or higher fees.

Thanks. I couldn't even get a student card, which upsets me. My scores are upper 500s (all 570-580s), so I know they're pretty bad, mostly because the only thing on there is medical. I thought the point of a student card was a low-limit starter. But they all say "insufficient history" or something to that effect. :( Just need to get a revolving account on there somehow. And nobody I know can add me as an AU, so I think a secured card is truly my only option.

Yes why not go with a secured card?

It helped me building my credit profile

Do it ASAP, every month count as you need to build your average age of accounts (AAOA)

Good luck

Does the credit card company ever do a hard pull when adding an alternate user? Specifically Bank of America?

Not for personal cards, because the primary cardholder cannot give an issuer permission to pull an AU's report.

Some business cards, like AmEx, might pull a report, but the AU is contractually responsible for charges.

Does the credit card company ever do a hard pull when adding an alternate user? Specifically Bank of America?

Not for personal cards, because the primary cardholder cannot give an issuer permission to pull an AU's report.

Some business cards, like AmEx, might pull a report, but the AU is contractually responsible for charges.

FWIW, when I was added as an AU, not a secondary card holder, on my husband's USAA World MasterCard, they did a hard pull on EQ. This was 5 months after I opened accounts with them, and got added to the insurance products. We opened a new one today where I am the secondary card holder and haven't been notified of a HP yet.

That doesn't sound right,

but maybe there are different rules allowing spouses to give implied permission for credit inquiries.

I was added as an AU on a Bank of America Visa Signature card today. Afterwards, speaking with the primary card holder, he mentioned that BOA did not request my social security number. That had me concerned so I called customer service...the rep said that BOA does not report AUs to CRAs.

(2 days ago I called the same customer service number and the rep that time said that they do take down your social when adding you as an AU...right or wrong, Bank of America does not have my social security number and will therefore most likely not report on my credit score. Which sucks).

ASK

American Express (5 AUs)
Bank of America (9 AUs, Reports AUs to all 3 CRAs)
Barclays
Capital One (5 AUs, When calling, Asks for Employer, Address, DOB, mother's maiden name)
Citi (YMMV)
HSBC (If Capital One issues it)
NFCU
PenFed (Mail back pdf, DOB & Relationship)
RBS
UMB (Snail mail form for AUs, Relationship)
USAA (Phone, DOB & Relationship, AU also becomes USAA member)
US Bank (4 AUs, Fax pdf form back)

DON'T ASK
Barclays (When done online)
CFNA (Firestone)
Chase (Report AUs at same address)
Citi (YMMV)
Comenity Bank (4 AUs, asks for relationship)
Discover Card (9 AUs, Report AUs at same address)
Express (Reports spousal AUs)
GEMB (4 AUs)
Lane Bryant [Comenity Bank (4 AUs, asks for relationship)]
Lexus
Macy's (8 AUs, Report AUs at same address)
Nordstrom Visa Siggy (via phone)
State Farm
US Bank (No ask if you call in)
Victoria's Secret (Reports spousal AUs)
Wells Fargo (Reports even if not at same address)

CAN GIVE
?

CAN'T GIVE
HSBC (non-Capital One) will not take SSN of AU (Will report if AU has same address) (May no longer add AUs)

Just discovered this thread after being MIA for a while. Very interesting as I'm in the same boat. I'm looking for ways to quickly repair my report as I'm look to buy a house later this year. Anyway, my gf has very good credit and has agreed to add me to her cards as an AU. She has never missed a payment and is diligent about paying. She currently has a Kohls, BOA, Target, Victoria Secret, and a Cap 1 card.

She called Kohls today and they said they would send out a paper for me to fill out. Will this have a hard pull for me? She also called Victorias Secret and they told her that I wouldn't report. Should I try to be an AU for all of them, and just wait to see if they show up? I just don't want to make my hole any deeper.

Your GF cannot give permission for a creditor to do a hard pull on you.

I would just have her add you to everything, and see what reports.

*IF* there are any hard pulls, THOSE I would dispute as not having Permissible Purpose.

Of course, then you'd also likely lose those credit lines.

Somebody's wife reported that her husband added her as an AU, and there was a hard pull.

I just can't imagine that creditor's are allowed to pull somebody's credit,

on behalf of somebody else claiming to be the BF or GF.

No, it shouldn't.

But maybe creditors are lax when it *IS* the same address,

thus leading to all the identity theft by parents.

So what happens when the AU is removed? Does the history that was reported on the AUs credit report remain or is it removed?

Good question.

I think that AUs who have had themselves removed due to the account being late, or deliquent,

had to explicitly request that the CRAs remove the account

OK thanks Bob. I understand how info would be removed due to late payments. My question is about on time payments and the history being reported on the AU report. Once the AU has been added the primary card holders history is reported I get that. When the AU is removed by the primary account holder does the history just stop being reported or is all the info just removed from the AU credit report?

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know. ;)

One would think that being removed as an AU would just delete that credit line from the AU's report.

But that doesn't always happen.

It's really no big deal if the AU has a good relationship with the primary cardholder,

since if the positive line disappears, the AU can just be re-added, and the line will re-appear.

The last post in this topic was posted 1744 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.