Sign in to follow this  
Home4Me2012

Opened an acct in Husband's name while deployed -- can we DV off CR?

When my husband was deployed (I did have a POA btw) we decided to change cell service from Verizon to T-Mobile because of the prices. However, it was maybe 2 days later I returned the phones and thought I canceled the service (I could never get a signal at my house). Jump 3 years later we are now getting collection calls for my husband at his mother’s house (how embarrassing) stating we owe nearly $3500. They said the phones were not returned (umm yes they were but I have no “proof” of that now) so we were charged the full price for each phone, and that the lines were never shut off and incurred a balance over a 3 months’ time. We also got the end contract fee for 5 lines.

I am just afraid debt validating will bit *me* in the butt, but will help my husband’s report. I opened the lines in his name using a POA (they never took a copy of the POA). At the time we were not legally married at the time and I had a different last name. So all of the information is in his name with my signature (I believe it states by POA), and they did take a copy of my ID. I am just worried if we try to debt validate (showing he signed for the service) he will come and bite me in the butt legally (can they file fraud charges on me or something like that).

I am just so upset about this whole bill because changing companies was all on me, not him. He is now upset because they keep calling his mother about the bill and not trying to contact us (even after we gave them correct information). I just want to fix this as quickly as possible so any advice would be great.

M

When my husband was deployed (I did have a POA btw) we decided to change cell service from Verizon to T-Mobile because of the prices. However, it was maybe 2 days later I returned the phones and thought I canceled the service (I could never get a signal at my house). Jump 3 years later we are now getting collection calls for my husband at his mother’s house (how embarrassing) stating we owe nearly $3500. They said the phones were not returned (umm yes they were but I have no “proof” of that now) so we were charged the full price for each phone, and that the lines were never shut off and incurred a balance over a 3 months’ time. We also got the end contract fee for 5 lines.

I am just afraid debt validating will bit *me* in the butt, but will help my husband’s report. I opened the lines in his name using a POA (they never took a copy of the POA). At the time we were not legally married at the time and I had a different last name. So all of the information is in his name with my signature (I believe it states by POA), and they did take a copy of my ID. I am just worried if we try to debt validate (showing he signed for the service) he will come and bite me in the butt legally (can they file fraud charges on me or something like that).

I am just so upset about this whole bill because changing companies was all on me, not him. He is now upset because they keep calling his mother about the bill and not trying to contact us (even after we gave them correct information). I just want to fix this as quickly as possible so any advice would be great.

M

Why even bother DV'ing? He was on deployment..he was or is active duty. I would be willing to bet a phone call or email to the right person explaining the entire situation will completely resolve this whole thing. Do not underestimate the power of "using" the active duty/military card. Try it from that angle. Write a letter, show proof of military service, tell them your story, etc. BTW, I am active duty, so I speak from experience.

When my husband was deployed (I did have a POA btw) we decided to change cell service from Verizon to T-Mobile because of the prices. However, it was maybe 2 days later I returned the phones and thought I canceled the service (I could never get a signal at my house). Jump 3 years later we are now getting collection calls for my husband at his mother's house (how embarrassing) stating we owe nearly $3500. They said the phones were not returned (umm yes they were but I have no "proof" of that now) so we were charged the full price for each phone, and that the lines were never shut off and incurred a balance over a 3 months' time. We also got the end contract fee for 5 lines.

I am just afraid debt validating will bit *me* in the butt, but will help my husband's report. I opened the lines in his name using a POA (they never took a copy of the POA). At the time we were not legally married at the time and I had a different last name. So all of the information is in his name with my signature (I believe it states by POA), and they did take a copy of my ID. I am just worried if we try to debt validate (showing he signed for the service) he will come and bite me in the butt legally (can they file fraud charges on me or something like that).

M

Why even bother DV'ing? He was on deployment..he was or is active duty. I would be willing to bet a phone call or email to the right person explaining the entire situation will completely resolve this whole thing. Do not underestimate the power of "using" the active duty/military card. Try it from that angle. Write a letter, show proof of military service, tell them your story, etc. BTW, I am active duty, so I speak from experience.

I am just worried they will try and say I opened this account fraudulantly and go after me (legally) because of the amount. When we talked to them they kept asking if he knew me and things like that.

M

When my husband was deployed (I did have a POA btw) we decided to change cell service from Verizon to T-Mobile because of the prices. However, it was maybe 2 days later I returned the phones and thought I canceled the service (I could never get a signal at my house). Jump 3 years later we are now getting collection calls for my husband at his mother's house (how embarrassing) stating we owe nearly $3500. They said the phones were not returned (umm yes they were but I have no "proof" of that now) so we were charged the full price for each phone, and that the lines were never shut off and incurred a balance over a 3 months' time. We also got the end contract fee for 5 lines.

I am just afraid debt validating will bit *me* in the butt, but will help my husband's report. I opened the lines in his name using a POA (they never took a copy of the POA). At the time we were not legally married at the time and I had a different last name. So all of the information is in his name with my signature (I believe it states by POA), and they did take a copy of my ID. I am just worried if we try to debt validate (showing he signed for the service) he will come and bite me in the butt legally (can they file fraud charges on me or something like that).

M

I am just worried they will try and say I opened this account fraudulantly and go after me (legally) because of the amount. When we talked to them they kept asking if he knew me and things like that.

M

You had a POA...that gives you every right to open whatever you want to in his name(granted it was a general poa). So therefor, it's not fraudulent. Please just take my advice before you start DV'ing and dealing with a junk debt buyer. Have your husband contact Verizon, and straighten it out. I am 99 percent certain that they will handle it for you right away. Click the link in my sig, find some email addys for someone up the food chain, and start firing away. Don't take no for an answer. I played the same game with ATT once...a 20 minute phone call straightened everything out. CA called me, I laughed at them, called ATT, and it was done.