Sign in to follow this  
Home4Me2012

Job wanting to do a LexisNexis report - passing off as a background check?

Part of my goal in 2012 is to take care of me debt and to do that I need a little extra income so I applied for a few part time jobs. I have been contacted by several companies I applied for about interviews (woohoo I am so excited). One of my top choices asked if they could do a background check on me since I would be working close to children. Of course I said yes and the manager sent the authorization form. I was assuming it was a regular criminal check, but now that I am reading the authorization for it is a Lexus Nexis report. It goes into detail that it will check my credit and what not. I am not sure how I feel about this. I have not checked my Lexis Nexis report and do not know what would be on there. I am just not sure how comfortable I am allowing a company to check this report - and passing it off as a criminal background check.

I understand no one here can tell me if I should or should not fill in the background check or continue with this company. But what would you do? It isn't a really high paying job (it is a better paying job then most for the type of hours and positions), but it is a job. I guess I am embarrassed about my credit and what not and not sure how I feel about someone having access to all of that information.

Megan

PS: Sorry for the title misspelling. I didn't see it until after I hit post, and now I cannot correct it.

Edited by Home4Me2012

some states have laws about running credit checks for employment ( Ca and IL) -

if it does show up, send a letter back with the background check

Just state what you told us - that you've had some hiccups in the past - and now you want to pick up some extra money so you can pay things off and repair your credit.

Many jobs, including state jobs in Kentucky, run background checks, credit checks, and criminal checks before hiring. It's quite common these days for sensitive jobs and government jobs. Many companies use Lexis Nexus as the source for the information. You can get that report if you wish to see what it contains.

Many jobs, including state jobs in Kentucky, run background checks, credit checks, and criminal checks before hiring. It's quite common these days for sensitive jobs and government jobs. Many companies use Lexis Nexus as the source for the information. You can get that report if you wish to see what it contains.

Right after I posted this I went to Lexis Nexis and got the application to pull my report with them. I am going to do get it all done today to submit tomorrow. I am curious (and scared) with what is on there. But for now I am going to submit the background search and just be done with it. If I get the job woohoo, if not - well I have another interview today. Either way I will get a job.

Megan

Right after I posted this I went to Lexis Nexis and got the application to pull my report with them. I am going to do get it all done today to submit tomorrow. I am curious (and scared) with what is on there. But for now I am going to submit the background search and just be done with it. If I get the job woohoo, if not - well I have another interview today. Either way I will get a job.

Megan

I may be off base here...but I don't think that they can not hire you based solely on your credit report if it does not pertain to the job.

Megan

I may be off base here...but I don't think that they can not hire you based solely on your credit report if it does not pertain to the job.

You are correct; you are off base. Employers can refuse to hire for information in any of the investigative reports. You have not "right" to be hired by an employer. You do have rights not to be discriminated against using protected categories such as sex, religion, race, etc. Results of investigative reports are not protected categories. A smart private employer simply states that more qualified applicants applied.

Many employees in government positions don't have access to funds but jobs without budgetary discretion still go to those who have only clean background, criminal, and credit checks. It might not seem fair, but in today's times employers can pick people without any issues.

Good luck to the original poster.

Edited by BeachDweller

OK. Based on that link, there are no restrictions on the use of credit info in employment decisions in VA, unfortunately.

Ok so would this be based on where the job actually is or where the candidate resides?

I live in Maryland but might be working in DC..