Sign in to follow this  
baby duck

I consider myself to be pretty self-sufficient

Wow, sounds like I need to get me one of those husband things. I guess I've never taken into consideration typical gender roles since I've always been a single mom. I'm so used to doing everything on my own, but it sure sounds nice to be able to share responsibilities like that. Hmph...I'm off to throw myself a pity party...anyone want to come?

yes..... I'll come.....

I guess i had a good role model with both my parents - they were both very self sufficient within thier own pink/ blue spheres -

but since i ended up as chief go-fer to my dad after my brother joined the navy, I got the best of both worlds.

DH pretty much does all the traditional men's stuff. If something happened to him, I'd be in trouble, let's put it that way.

He had surgery a few years ago and he had to show me how to start the lawn mower. I had never done it before (to be fair, we had a ride-on mower when I was a kid and that is all I know how to operate) He had a REALLY good laugh watching me mow the enormous ditch.....him AND the kids. <_<

He gets electronic duty. I'm technologically challenged. He's also the mechanic in the house, so he gets car fixing duty too.

DS #1 gets spider killing duty.

I normally have done the housework/cooking (although dh is a great cook, I'm not so he'll do it sometimes).

That set up is gradually changing, though, because I'm working now.

If it weren't for DS or DH I would be in a straight jacket with some of the spiders I've seen. :wacko: This passed August or so I saw a daddy long leg with a *wing span* of 7 inches. OMFG. I can still picture it to this day coming down the living room wall right behind the tv. I screamed for DS as if my life was in imminent danger. DDs slept right through it, to this day I don't know how, because I was using every bit of lung capacity God gave me.

It took about 50 sprays of Windex to kill it because it's body was like the size of a pinhead.

If I ever lived alone I would be spraying spider killer daily around the house and adopting a cat that likes to kill them for sport, because the cat we have now, and I love him madly, but geez Louise, he only likes to kill birds and voles; spiders, not so much. :angry:

:rofl: Sounds like a few episodes in my house.

Wow, sounds like I need to get me one of those husband things. I guess I've never taken into consideration typical gender roles since I've always been a single mom. I'm so used to doing everything on my own, but it sure sounds nice to be able to share responsibilities like that. Hmph...I'm off to throw myself a pity party...anyone want to come?

I know that single moms work their marigolds off, and have a million times more responsibilities and overall chocolate to deal with than I ever have. My mom worked my whole life. I know how tired she was when she came home and then had to take care of me etc.

No kidding. Single parents definitely have my admiration. I can only imagine how hard it is.

BFW, have you heard about the time I threw myself out of a moving vehicle because there was a spider on my seat? Truth. Actually, it happened twice. :huh:

Or about the time I was stuck in the corner for 2 HOURS because there was a giant spider blocking my path and DH wouldn't drive home from work to kill it despite my crying and pleading on the phone?

My arachnaphobia is out of control. :lol:

I'm pretty much fine with every other bug, reptile, creature, etc. Spiders? NFW.

I bought and installed a high end dishwasher, and a really nice front loading washer/dryer set. I've got no idea how they work. They've got a lot of buttons. I tend to cook more than my wife. My wife has a couple of low limit credit cards that she maintains, but other than that I handle all of the finances.

My mom is the same way.. she hates anything with lots of buttons. I've had to show her how to work her radio in the new car even tho it's pretty self explanatory, same with the new washer/dryer she brought earlier this year. Ohh and her Cell she still can't figure out how to get her messages even tho I've showed her a couple hundred times.

I'm dreading when she actually gets a computer. She's talking about it once she retires this year.

Edited by beli

I didn't realize there was so much spider hatred on this board. :rofl:

Ehhh spiders don't freak me out.. see spider kill spider... Maybe let cats try and get to it if they notice it on the wall and play with it first tho.

Ugh. I will kill a spider if I have to, but normally I take a "la-la-la, I don't see" you kind of approach. I started this after a brown recluse bit me.

Ugh. I will kill a spider if I have to, but normally I take a "la-la-la, I don't see" you kind of approach. I started this after a brown recluse bit me.

Maybe my attitude about spiders would change if one of the more dangerous ones were around here but I don't see them in the city. Now get me around snakes I don't care what kind, garden variety or otherwise I freak the hell out.

I do it all. Except shovel snow. For two reasons.

1. I hate the damn snow.

2. I hate the damn cold.

I don't mind mowing the lawn.

I do it all. Except shovel snow. For two reasons.

1. I hate the damn snow.

2. I hate the damn cold.

I don't mind mowing the lawn.

I don't shovel either. It'll melt in the spring. :good:

I don't shovel either. It'll melt in the spring. :good:

That's the same method my husband uses.

The kids' toilet keeps backing up. We haven't found a toy yet; I think it is just persnickety. I consider the plunging thing to be the husband's job because I do *not* want to deal with overflows.

Of course today, I learn that if I just reach into the tank and close the flapper, it won't overflow. :mellow: Now, I can deal with clogged toilets when DH isn't home.