Disciplining her son

The last post in this topic was posted 3444 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I say good for her but I'm sure some would disagree

http://www.thegrio.com/news/mom-forces-teen-to-wear-sign-i-lie-i-steal-i-sell-drugs-i-dont-follow-the-law.php

Mom forces teen to wear sign: 'I lie, I steal, I sell drugs, I don't follow the law

READ MORE: Fort Wayne, Indiana, Dynesha Lax, Punishment, Parenting, Sign

Mom forces teen to wear sign: 'I lie, I steal, I sell drugs, I don't follow the law'

Dynesha Lax's son

FORT WAYNE, INDIANA - A frustrated mom has given her wayward teenage son the ultimate punishment: public humiliation.

The 14-year-old was forced to stand on a busy street for two hours with a massive sign hanging around his neck, which read, "I lie, I steal, I sell drugs, I don't follow the law."

Dynesha Lax, of Fort Wayne, said the punishments handed out to her unruly son weren't strong enough to get him to stop so she had no choice but to take this drastic action.

"I decided he broke the law and they only gave him a few hours community service so I decided that we were going to wear a sign that says you looking for attention, we're going to get you attention," Lax told KLTV.

While her son, who has already been convicted of multiple felonies, stood on Broadway Street, Lax explained she felt the court system had done little to get her son to change his ways.

"What else more can I do?" said Lax. "They put him on probation and when they did probation they were quick to talk about the 300 some dollars you have to pay in fees, but nobody's trying to help me fix my son."

Passing motorists, though, were shocked by her tough love approach and alerted Fort Wayne Police. Officers said Lax was completely within her rights to make her son stand on the side of the street. It may be unconventional, but it's not illegal.

"I'm hoping that having him out here is going to make it sink in," said Lax. "It wasn't for it to be a joke or anything funny. He just had to stand out here two hours and suddenly it blew up. Then again they've got their way of parenting and I've got mine. My object is to save my son."

I don't have a problem with the punishment. I do have a problem with the mother's attitude.

While her son, who has already been convicted of multiple felonies, stood on Broadway Street, Lax explained she felt the court system had done little to get her son to change his ways.

The court system didn't raise the delinquent, and it's really not their place to help her "fix my son".

I don't have a problem with the punishment. I do have a problem with the mother's attitude.

The court system didn't raise the delinquent, and it's really not their place to help her "fix my son".

Sometimes the best parents have kids that make bad choices. It used to be that societal pressure and legal consequences helped to set those kids straight, but nowadays everyone says "it's not my business", and the courts give these delinquents a slap on the wrist instead of putting the fear of God into them.

Sometimes the best parents have kids that make bad choices. It used to be that societal pressure and legal consequences helped to set those kids straight, but nowadays everyone says "it's not my business", and the courts give these delinquents a slap on the wrist instead of putting the fear of God into them.

Yup. I know people that have the most wonderful, sweet, and loving parents. But yet they are just selfish chit-bags. :dntknw: Luck of the draw sometimes.

I wish there was some other tactic she could have used to get through to him.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Public humiliation has been used for centuries to force people into conforming to acceptable standards. Medieval stockade anyone?

http://www.knightsedge.com/medieval-weapons/medieval-stockade.htm

He doesn't mind being a felon, he shouldn't mind standing on a corner with a sign telling people he's one. She needs to add some choking and flowers kicking to the sign holding.

Yup. No matter what happens to this kid, he can never say his Momma didn't try.

It is their place to stop letting his criminal butt slide, with pansy punishments. Throw the book at him (and hope it hits him upside the head).

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/indiana-mom-forces-son-to-wear-i-lie-i-steal-sign/

“I’ve done therapy with my son. I’ve done positive reinforcement. I’ve done negative reinforcement. I’ve done mommy-and-me days. I’ve even called the police on him,” Lax said. “But everything seems to be taken lightly. Nobody is taking seriously that these are serious offenses.”

She said he has been acting up since a young age and that while none of her responses have worked, she refused to give up. “He’s already lying, stealing, trying to sell drugs. We’ve got three-and-a-half years until I don’t have control anymore,” Lax said. “I’m not going to let the streets have my son.”

Lax also has a 16-year-old son with a 3.9 GPA who plays football, basketball and runs track. She said he has never been in trouble or even to the principal’s office.

“Those are hard shoes to fill but we went through so much to let him know he doesn’t have to be the same,” Lax said. “But he has to follow the rules and follow the law.”

The last post in this topic was posted 3444 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.