Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
giraffy

The post where I ask for money again

Recommended Posts

So, you guys remember, how a year ago right now, how I was sitting in the hospital with my kid, looking like this?

jan1-1-1.jpg

 

Things we've experienced in the last 12 months:

Gabby was treated with a pill called "The Red Death"

Gabby has had over 15 lumbar punctures - she went 6 weeks straight of one every week

Gabby lost her hair, twice, which is a giant bummer when you're a little girl

Gabby had to leave school, her friends, her teachers

 

We have been so, so lucky this year. Because things could have been so, so much worse

 

efddbe9a-1-1.jpg

 

There have not been new treatments for her cancer in OVER 20 years. She is being treated with protocols that are decades old.

 

Over the past 20 years, there has been some increase in the incidence of children diagnosed with all forms of invasive cancer, from 11.5 cases per 100,000 children in 1975 to 14.8 per 100,000 children in 2004.

 

Despite very aggressive therapies that approach the limits of tolerability for the child, the overall survival rate for childhood cancer has remained unchanged since 1998.

 

Those statistics tell us, that there has been an INCREASE in the number of kids diagnosed with cancer, yet the survival rate is stagnant. It has not improved in over a decade.

 

And even with her treatments going "well", there is no telling what stands in front of her in 10 years, 20 years, 30 years. The treatments she receive now, they are linked to a myriad of ridiculous side-effects, long reaching side-effects that may not be realized until she's well into adult-hood.

 

Chemo freaks me the eff out; but it's the only option to keep her alive TODAY.

 

I'm fundraising for the same organization I worked with last year, Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation.

 

You can CLICK HERE to donate.

 

Thanks :wub:

Edited by giraffy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, kinda OT......Im such a LAME... I've had a bag packed for Gabby for MONTHS!!!!!! I feel like chocolate... so it goes out this weekend, NO EXCUSES!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, kinda OT......Im such a LAME... I've had a bag packed for Gabby for MONTHS!!!!!! I feel like chocolate... so it goes out this weekend, NO EXCUSES!!

You're not such a lame. :rofl: :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second Giraffys request. I lost my 18 month old nephew to an invasive Brain Tumor 8 years ago January 7. I am still haunted by his trauma and death and by the kids in the cancer ward. They have to suffer so much, and often alone because the parents need to work and have to leave their kids at the hospital alone. The kids cancer ward in the hospital is a sad place no matter what they do to try and make it better. Donate to this great cause, or if you have a kids cancer ward at your local hospital, bring them some fresh new games, or toys, or the exhausted parents/grandparents a meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second Giraffys request. I lost my 18 month old nephew to an invasive Brain Tumor 8 years ago January 7. I am still haunted by his trauma and death and by the kids in the cancer ward. They have to suffer so much, and often alone because the parents need to work and have to leave their kids at the hospital alone. The kids cancer ward in the hospital is a sad place no matter what they do to try and make it better. Donate to this great cause, or if you have a kids cancer ward at your local hospital, bring them some fresh new games, or toys, or the exhausted parents/grandparents a meal.

:(

 

Stuff like that just... ugh. It pisses me off.

 

A girl I met through PCRF died last week. She was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor in March. She tried chemo, radiation. And didn't make it.

 

She was 12.

 

Cancer is Geronimo .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These stories are just unspeakably sad. What is causing cancer in these children? Do doctors know? Is it environmental? Is it the immune system going awry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These stories are just unspeakably sad. What is causing cancer in these children? Do doctors know? Is it environmental? Is it the immune system going awry?

Short answer: no one knows for sure.

 

Longer answer:

There are tons of theories. I only knew Jessi briefly, so I can't speak for her family. For us? I am very, very cognizant of what I feed my kids, what chemicals are used in my house, what goes on and in their bodies. I always have been. Remember that homemade laundry soap recipe from years ago? :lol: That was part of my attempts to rid our home of as many chemicals as possible. My family has a history of cancer, so whatever I could do to minimize our chances, I was gonna do.

 

And it didn't matter.

 

There's some indication that leukemia, specifically the kind Gab has (ALL), is genetic in some cases. There's some indication that children with Down's Syndrome are more likely to get ALL. It's also equally likely (something like a 27% chance) that the chemo Gab is taking NOW, will cause other cancers later. She has a VERY increased chance of later on, having other certain types of cancer. It really.really.really irks me. The treatments we're giving her now, could do so much more damage later, and there's no way of know when, or how much, or if.

 

Example: Gab's 5 year survival probability without further incident of cancer is 95%. So, once she completes treatment in 2013, she has a 5% chance of cancer returning in the following 5 years - 95% chance that it will not.

 

The 5 year survival rate is the most commonly used reference when talking about the effectiveness of the protocols for childhood cancers. But, beyond that 5 years, the survival rate drops, to about 85%. Still high, right?

 

The overall estimated probability of a 5-year survivor living 30 years from diagnosis is 82%. Probabilities were 94% at 10 years and 88% at 20 years

 

It's pretty much a crap shoot. And that's why research is so, so important, IMO.

 

 

eta: Sorry, that was a lot of information to drop. I get riled up about pediatric cancer research :lol:

Edited by giraffy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These stories are just unspeakably sad. What is causing cancer in these children? Do doctors know? Is it environmental? Is it the immune system going awry?

Short answer: no one knows for sure.

 

Longer answer:

There are tons of theories. I only knew Jessi briefly, so I can't speak for her family. For us? I am very, very cognizant of what I feed my kids, what chemicals are used in my house, what goes on and in their bodies. I always have been. Remember that homemade laundry soap recipe from years ago? :lol: That was part of my attempts to rid our home of as many chemicals as possible. My family has a history of cancer, so whatever I could do to minimize our chances, I was gonna do.

 

And it didn't matter.

 

There's some indication that leukemia, specifically the kind Gab has (ALL), is genetic in some cases. There's some indication that children with Down's Syndrome are more likely to get ALL. It's also equally likely (something like a 27% chance) that the chemo Gab is taking NOW, will cause other cancers later. She has a VERY increased chance of later on, having other certain types of cancer. It really.really.really irks me. The treatments we're giving her now, could do so much more damage later, and there's no way of know when, or how much, or if.

 

Example: Gab's 5 year survival probability without further incident of cancer is 95%. So, once she completes treatment in 2013, she has a 5% chance of cancer returning in the following 5 years - 95% chance that it will not.

 

The 5 year survival rate is the most commonly used reference when talking about the effectiveness of the protocols for childhood cancers. But, beyond that 5 years, the survival rate drops, to about 85%. Still high, right?

 

The overall estimated probability of a 5-year survivor living 30 years from diagnosis is 82%. Probabilities were 94% at 10 years and 88% at 20 years

 

It's pretty much a crap shoot. And that's why research is so, so important, IMO.

 

 

eta: Sorry, that was a lot of information to drop. I get riled up about pediatric cancer research :lol:

 

No by all means thank you for responding with all the information you know. I've just been sitting here thinking about your Gabby and all these other kids thinking wtf is going on. Fwiw, I recommend you reading No Family History. It's written by a woman investigating cancers occurring on Long Island and how she is tying the chemicals we have in our homes (and in our makeup shampoos etc) to them.

 

I don't know if any of this will help. Like you said you made changes and still Gabby got cancer, but in the last month our house has become 100% Paraben free. I buy this shampoo from Walmart called Simply U and it is Paraben and Sulfate free plus it's FULL of antioxidants. You get a gigantic bottle of the shampoo and conditioner for under $6. If you like lather like I do, you'll use a little more to get the lather. Because of it's protein content you'll need the conditioner because protein dries the hair. The conditioner is amazing. Ive read online that other people love it too

 

I threw out all my face creams and makeup that had Parabens in it, and all of the liquid soaps we had that have DMDM in it. Yuk That's a chemical that releases formaldehyde onto your skin.

 

None of this may help at all, but it's worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding possible reasons for my nephews cancer, they had no idea. We have no family history. They figured he was born with cancer. Imagine that, born with it! My sister is very healthy and used all natural products. The drs at Mayo were stumped. They did not know he had a tumor until he had a sudden siezure, one month later hes dead. Cancer strikes anyone, anywhere, anytime. Its killing so many yet it doesnt get the attention that other "popular" diseases get. Research is VITAL. Prestons Drs were top in their field, (Mayo Clinic) yet they said not enough information was available to help Preston. Cancer sucks. Giraffy, your daughter is beautiful, what a smile!

Edited by gettinganewlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding possible reasons for my nephews cancer, they had no idea. We have no family history. They figured he was born with cancer. Imagine that, born with it! My sister is very healthy and used all natural products. The drs at Mayo were stumped. They did not know he had a tumor until he had a sudden siezure, one month later hes dead. Cancer strikes anyone, anywhere, anytime. Its killing so many yet it doesnt get the attention that other "popular" diseases get. Research is VITAL. Prestons Drs were top in their field, (Mayo Clinic) yet they said not enough information was available to help Preston. Cancer sucks. Giraffy, your daughter is beautiful, what a smile!

I was actually reading something today about cancer in utero. I mean, I know it doesn't help at all, really, but if you're interested I'll track it down and send it to you.

 

This is really, really key, what you said:

not enough information was available to help

 

Dirty, ugly FACT, particularly in pediatric cancers.

 

And thanks. I kinda like her, too :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm working on my virtual race B)

 

Because

1 - Cancer sucks

2 - Gabby is super-cute

and

3 - I need to win a sparkle skirt. Or some Gu :mellow:

First giveaway is Friday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm working on my virtual race B)

 

Because

1 - Cancer sucks

2 - Gabby is super-cute

and

3 - I need to win a sparkle skirt. Or some Gu :mellow:

 

Gu? :unsure:

Edited by Nostromo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  




  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      177,739
    • Most Online
      1,528

    Newest Member
    mikeh714
    Joined

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines