Would the credit report, and score be free?

The last post in this topic was posted 3443 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello,

I am new to this forum, and I found this forum by searching Google.

Would both the credit report, and credit score be free? I don't have any form of payment such as credit cards/debit cards, so it would have to be free. I know when I search Google, there are sites to run it, but I believe they are scams. Are there any really good sites?

Welcome to CreditBoards! We hope that you find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful tips:

• Your post may not get a reply right away. Don't be discouraged, this is a very busy board. If it falls off of the first page, feel free
    to reply to your post yourself, with the word *bump* in the text. This will *bump* your post back up to the top of the board.
  • If you haven't yet, take a peek at out Newbies Section.
    Everything that you need to know is in that forum, for the most part! It's a lot of reading, we know, but this credit stuff can have a steep learning curve. In no time, you'll be posting like the pros!
  • If you find that someone is discourteous to you, use the REPORT button at the bottom of every post - that will ensure that a moderator or admin looks at the post and decides if it is against the TOS.
  • Off -topic posts should go in the General Forum.

Again, welcome to the CreditBoards family!

CB Admin: LKH, Pam, radi8, breeze

CB Mods: CargoJon, Chris in OK, cotterpin, CramItCCCAs, Fallon, MarvBear, mpc578, pryan67, psp, Stryker, TrevorHere

Forum Leads: brazen, Brian B The Loan Professor, cedski, DallasLoanGuy, hoapres, ICANHASMUNY?, Lighthouse84, Linx04, Neen, TeeSharice

Hello,

Would both the credit report, and credit score be free? I don't have any form of payment such as credit cards/debit cards, so it would have to be free. I know when I search Google, there are sites to run it, but I believe they are scams. Are there any really good sites?

welcome to CB!

consumers can get copies of their credit reports online at the annual report site or by writing to the four major CRAs.

credit scores are a different matter. You can get a free fake score at credit sesame and also from creditkarma. Real scores, that is FICO scores, can be obtained if you have certain credit products, such as the walmart store credit card.

First welcome!

Now as far as your questions. You can obtain your reports for free once a year from annualcreditreport.com I think that's the sight. For scores there are many ways to get them. Myfico.com or certain lenders provide them as a courtesy.

If you don't have any type of credit or debit cards let me be the first to advise you "cash is sub-prime". That should rattle some cages, lol.

Hi,

Thank you for the replies. I am on a fixed income, so it's hard for me to pay for it up front, or even in the mail. I have a third party representative payee that is appointed by the SSA. I am not looking for a free fake score. I am looking for my accurate score as it appears now, but I'm guessing the one that I'm looking for are not free? What would be another option to get one of those scores for free by doing this online, and over the Internet?

Hello,

welcome to CB!

consumers can get copies of their credit reports online at the annual report site or by writing to the four major CRAs.

credit scores are a different matter. You can get a free fake score at credit sesame and also from creditkarma. Real scores, that is FICO scores, can be obtained if you have certain credit products, such as the walmart store credit card.

Bobwang,

I'm sorry, but I stated above that I have no way of paying for it. It has to be free. Did I check that link? The answer: Yes, I looked at the first one, and it says buy it. Why can't you, or someone post up something that would be free? I'm sorry, but I won't state that again. I stated that when I opened this thread.

If you want to explain where would I run the free reports with scores from the thread you posted, then that would be fine. Honestly, I won't have a problem with that.

There's a 10-day free trial in the middle of the page.

FREE means DCU, PSECU or Walmart.

What other sites that would be similar to FICO for an credit report with official score that would be 100% free? Free meaning no online payments. I would just create a free account, and do all of the steps, and verification.

The only ways to get a FICO ™ score for free is to be denied credit or approved with less than optional terms for credit.

Fico™ is an score model by Fair Issiac that only they can use. The EXAST formula has never been disclosed to anyone. Websites such as CreditKarma.com all you to pull what is considered a FAKO score. The ONLY thing that the FAKO and FICO's have in common is they are both numerical.

If you have an existing credit card you can signup for a MyFIco account and use their 10 day trial then cancel it,

Some credit unions and credit card's do offer your FICO score as a perk and that is another way.

What other sites that would be similar to FICO for an credit report with official score that would be 100% free? Free meaning no online payments. I would just create a free account, and do all of the steps, and verification.

Hi php111,

There are no free "real" credit scores.

Hi php111,

There are no free "real" credit scores.

:good:

• Admin

I know y'all aren't trying to be mean, but think for a minute. Not everyone is like you. A basic problem with interpersonal relations on the internet - we see everyone as similar to us. The OP has posted (in another thread I think) that he receives disability benefits, and has a trustee for the account where those benefits are deposited. He's trying to understand, but he doesn't have a credit card, and can't get one. He has a disability that prevents him from being able to handle money, but he's curious about credit. Be nice.

Eh, depends how similar... as mentioned, there is creditkarma. Even though its a fake score, I'd say try it anyways. It gives you a rough (very rough) guestimate.

Also, please do order your free annual reports. You might find that your credit files are pretty much empty. If thats what you discover, then you might not have a score at all.

Does your representative payee give you any *cash* spending money at all? If so, and if you really want to know your FICO, and have already done the above, try this:

Step 1: Take some cash, and go to someplace like walmart, or radioshack, or riteaid, or walgreens, and buy a greendot card, and load it with some cash, should be a good amount more than enough to buy your score from myFICO.

Step 2: Go online, and have greendot send you the personalized card. When you get it in the mail, activate it.

Step 3: Go to myFICO, and sign up for the free trial. use the personalized greendot card as your payment method. Get your score info that way.

Step 4: **MAKE SURE TO CANCEL THE TRIAL BEFORE IT RUNS OUT**

OR, take some cash, and open a little checking account on the side somewhere... get a credit card too (even if its a secured card with a toy limit and takes you forever to save up for the deposit, do it anyway.) .. start building credit, even if very slowly. I'm not familiar with the specifics of your situation, but situations do change, and it might be to your advantage to already have good credit when and if they do change.

Did you have credit before you became disabled? If so, there is a good chance you might well have a score and a file, and since mistakes do happen, its probably a good idea to at least look at your files anyway.

Hope this helps.

The last post in this topic was posted 3443 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.