Family Secrets: Parents Prey On Children's Identities As Victims Stay Silent

hegemony

The last post in this topic was posted 4035 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Reminds me to check my daughter's credit. Her mom went to jail for credit fraud a long time ago, but I think she may have used our daughter's name and SSN to get a phone or something since then. If she did stuff to mess up my daughter's credit, besides the legal recourse of reporting the fraud, can I have my daughter's SSN changed or anything to get her a clean slate? She just turned 16, and all this happened when she was 10 or 11.

Reminds me to check my daughter's credit. Her mom went to jail for credit fraud a long time ago, but I think she may have used our daughter's name and SSN to get a phone or something since then. If she did stuff to mess up my daughter's credit, besides the legal recourse of reporting the fraud, can I have my daughter's SSN changed or anything to get her a clean slate? She just turned 16, and all this happened when she was 10 or 11.

Seems like I have a vague memory of reading somewhere about a parent who got a child a new social security number because of a situation similar to yours. I would contact the Social Security Administration and ask them about it. You'd probably want to do it pretty soon before your daughter has much of a work history with her current SSN.

Happened to me too. i was a young adult trying to purchase my first home, then I learned for the first time that I had my first credit card (of MANY) issued when I was about 9, with a bankruptcy reporting on some of those accounts when I was 16. It was traumatic and humiliating to expose my new, very financially-straight husband to "family secrets," while sitting across the desk from a loan officer who walked me through my very first credit report. I suddenly realized why I couldnt get a student loan from my bank, couldnt buy a car, or even get on a lease with my friends. I had always thought it was because I was young and broke. i hustled and got thru college on my own, avoided applying for credit because I always got denied and thought it must just be me. Like the others here have said, still makes me mad, even though its all fallen off now... but its still out there somewhere. I would encourage others here to do all that they can to safeguard their children's credit if they think it has been compromised. I had a friend complete a job application for state department.... his review included his very first share account when he was 9 years old and a charged off phone bill in his name when he was 13... his parent had done it too. I think its more pervasive than we realize. And it's definitely abuse. For the record, I couldnt have reported my parent either, but we have had some tough times since then. Thank you for this good link hegemony.

PS A few years ago I visited the SocSec office and they pulled my account summary since I was a child. I had received a benefit for a deceased parent and it showed each check that had gone to the surviving parent for my care, who had also stolen my credit. But the report was also able to show me the dates that requests had been submitted for replacement SS cards for me -- but never by me. All of that was very good information. I highly recommend SS as a resource. A congressional office can sometimes facilitate a visit for you if they are hard to get into directly.

So what would be the best way to check my childs credit?

What is the best way to go about this?

Not sure really. I added my son to a bunch of my accounts as a authorized user and then waited a few months. Then did freecreditreport.com, with the wrong DOB. All of my AU are on his report. Makes me happy/sad knowing he has the best credit in the house.

Great article hedge linked.

It really is a form of child abuse though fortunately most don't know about it until they are adults. If there was a way to check SS# against DOBs this couldn't easily occur. Perhaps CRAs should be mandated to do this. It could be similar to the way employers can check SS# for employee eligibility to work.

It's the most common form of ID theft and is preventable.

Great article hedge linked.

It really is a form of child abuse though fortunately most don't know about it until they are adults. If there was a way to check SS# against DOBs this couldn't easily occur. Perhaps CRAs should be mandated to do this. It could be similar to the way employers can check SS# for employee eligibility to work.

It's the most common form of ID theft and is preventable.

I think they can but i think it still gets recorded. Like the first time i pulled my credit report, i had 2 socials and 2 DOBs. So i think they just record every thing regardless of correct or not. So long as certain things match its enough to push a credit report to.

The last post in this topic was posted 4035 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.