Sign in to follow this  
CFI

Bank of America Charge off

My wife has a B of A credit card account listed on her credit report that I settled in late 2008. It is still showing a balance of $6048 and a past due amount of $1450. I know I paid this account, but unfortunately through my own retardedness lack of organization and forethought somehow can't find proof of my payment. I have scoured bank statements, files, etc. I'm pretty sure I sent a money order in, but can't find proof.

I wrote BofA and asked them to provide statements and payment information on the account and I also called the collection agency that I paid.(some BofA law office affiliate). The collection agency says they have no record of the payment, and that the account was sent back to bank of america. Bank of America has not responded in any way to my letter that was sent almost 60 days ago now. This letter requested an investigation into the account and requested the info I mentioned before. I have not recieved a letter or phone call from anyone about this account for over 3 years, yet it still shows as an active charge off.

I also disputed this account with all three credit reporting agencies, and it came back verified prior to sending the letter to Bank of America. I really don't know how to proceed. I can't afford a PFD for $6000 or anything remotely close. I really don't understand the past due amount. It seems like such a random number. I also believe the fact that they have not tried to collect anything since 2008 serves to validate my assertion that I paid. I I can't imagine they wouldn't have tried to collect this one considering they filed a lawsuit on another one of a simlar amount that I immediately paid in the same time period. I need this to at least show as a paid chargeoff, a deletion would be stellar, but any improvement would be great.

Can anyone help guide me in the right direction for my next step. The fact that they haven't responded to me is frustrating to say the least. I have cleared almost all negatives from her credit report, but this doozy is holding everything back. Please Help!!

Edited by breeze

Since the account is being reported by an OC, you might learn about the 623 letter on this thread:

Click here

Also, have you deleted the old addresses from your CR's? That often helps, if you then follow up with a second dispute with the CRA's.

Since the account is being reported by an OC, you might learn about the 623 letter on this thread:

Click here

Also, have you deleted the old addresses from your CR's? That often helps, if you then follow up with a second dispute with the CRA's.

Thanks for the response

That is basically the letter I sent to Bank of America, and I have recieved no response in 2 months. I will try getting the addresses deleted, but they have my current address listed as the one for the account. That is why I find it crazy that there have been no collection attempts on this account for the three years since I paid it, yet they still say I have a balance. What would be the next step if they don't respond to a 623 letter, because that is where I believe I am at.

Edited by CFI

I could NOT get them to do a PFD. They are extremely difficult to deal with. I settled with them, they agreed to do "settled" on my credit report. Two reports updated to zero balance, but one did not. I wrote them about it and they pretty much told me they reported it correctly and it wasn't their problem and to NOT write them anymore. It did finally get updated to a zero balance, but they were very rude about it! You could write the corporate office and ask for the full status of the account, just don't expect service with a smile! lol

Don't give up trying to get this removed, but over the past 2 years, I have tried everything other there and nothing has worked. Neither CB nor google have any info on how to get a BofA chargeoff removed. Mine is set to fall off in Sep 2013. I will continue disputing with the CRAs. I hear TU and EQ will remove stuff around the holidays if disputed as "past the 7yr reporting period"

Thanks everyone for the input. The main problem with this is that I settled the account, they are reporting that I did not, and I have have not recieved ANY response from them about my letters. I gues I can write again, and I'll try disputing a different way if that doesn't work. Thanks again. Any further input would always definately be appreciated.