Jump to content

Help! Need referral or a point in the right direction

The last post in this topic was posted 3430 days ago. 


We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Recommended Posts

I'd really appreciate any help that you can give me.


If you know a Lawyer in Chicago who handles collection negotiations and is very good, I would prefer to just pay somebody to deal with this, so I'd appreciate a referral.


My situation:


For the past year I have been unemployed and been unable to pay any of my debts. I stupidly did not file chapter 7. I had one CC debt of ~$20k and another of ~$17k. I also forgot to file for an additional deferment on my student loan a few months ago.


Anyway, I haven't answered the phone when the creditors called and didn't respond to any of their 'validation' letters. (I got tired of saying I was unemployed and couldn't do anything about it)


I recently got a job that pays very well (6 figures) and can start paying down my debts.


However, I recently received a crazy validation letter claiming that I owe $28k on the debt that was $17k one year ago.


If I can work out a settlement with these clowns, I'd like to do that, but in NO WAY do I want to pay the crazy 64%+ interest they are claiming that I owe them on my debts. (My rate was under 10% prior to last year)


If you can point me to the right statutes, I can take a look (I'm an IL Lawyer), but I don't really have time to deal with this myself. I'd much rather pay somebody who does this to negotiate on my behalf.


I tried finding the right threads, but I unfortunately don't have the time to go pouring through a ton of threads to find the right FDCPA refrences (nor the time to read them in the entirety).


I suppose I can just file against them if I find that they are doing something illegal, but I'd much rather have somebody handle this for me.


Any idea on what type of discount I could get if I make an offer to pay?


What I REALLY want to avoid is having to go to court if they decide to try to get a judgment and garnish my wages.


Is there any way to talk with the original creditor and have them pull back the debt and get a payment plan with them?


Is that a bad idea?


I know that they paid MUCH less than even the face amount of the debt, so I really don't want to start paying without a settlement.


I'm not sending them a cent until we have a written agreement setting for all fees and costs, but I was hoping that somebody could just refer me to a Chicago Lawyer who can handle this for me.



Link to post
Share on other sites

The last post in this topic was posted 3430 days ago. 


We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
    • Most Online

    Newest Member
  • Create New...

Important Information