Help! Need referral or a point in the right direction

The last post in this topic was posted 3430 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'd really appreciate any help that you can give me.

If you know a Lawyer in Chicago who handles collection negotiations and is very good, I would prefer to just pay somebody to deal with this, so I'd appreciate a referral.

My situation:

For the past year I have been unemployed and been unable to pay any of my debts. I stupidly did not file chapter 7. I had one CC debt of ~$20k and another of ~$17k. I also forgot to file for an additional deferment on my student loan a few months ago.

Anyway, I haven't answered the phone when the creditors called and didn't respond to any of their 'validation' letters. (I got tired of saying I was unemployed and couldn't do anything about it)

I recently got a job that pays very well (6 figures) and can start paying down my debts.

However, I recently received a crazy validation letter claiming that I owe $28k on the debt that was $17k one year ago.

If I can work out a settlement with these clowns, I'd like to do that, but in NO WAY do I want to pay the crazy 64%+ interest they are claiming that I owe them on my debts. (My rate was under 10% prior to last year)

If you can point me to the right statutes, I can take a look (I'm an IL Lawyer), but I don't really have time to deal with this myself. I'd much rather pay somebody who does this to negotiate on my behalf.

I tried finding the right threads, but I unfortunately don't have the time to go pouring through a ton of threads to find the right FDCPA refrences (nor the time to read them in the entirety).

I suppose I can just file against them if I find that they are doing something illegal, but I'd much rather have somebody handle this for me.

Any idea on what type of discount I could get if I make an offer to pay?

What I REALLY want to avoid is having to go to court if they decide to try to get a judgment and garnish my wages.

Is there any way to talk with the original creditor and have them pull back the debt and get a payment plan with them?

Is that a bad idea?

I know that they paid MUCH less than even the face amount of the debt, so I really don't want to start paying without a settlement.

I'm not sending them a cent until we have a written agreement setting for all fees and costs, but I was hoping that somebody could just refer me to a Chicago Lawyer who can handle this for me.

Thanks!

The last post in this topic was posted 3430 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.