Sign in to follow this  
Islandgal

First Melon, now Lettuce

Seriously people are going to start having to define eating whats good for you...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-30/romaine-lettuce-recalled-in-21-states-after-linked-to-listeria.html

Listeria is the same type of germ found in an unrelated case since July 31 of tainted cantaloupes from Colorado that sickened 72 people and killed at least 13 in the biggest U.S. foodborne illness outbreak in more than a decade. Pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems are among those at greatest risk from listeria infections. Symptoms include fever and diarrhea

yeah..dont forget ya cant eat ground beef or turkey either...

I wonder can I survive off herbal tea and cupcakes for the rest of my life

Somehow I get the feeling this is all about illegal mexican migratory farmworkers sh**ing in the fields and not washing their hands after they do it.

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Dixie's back

:rofl: yep. Wash your fruits & veggies or grow your own. Never know what lives in the fields or who didn't wash hands after last doing... whatever. ick!

just goes to figure too that my youngest chose melon as his healthy food to buy instead of junk.

oh and his favorite sandwich meat is turkey.

I'm still eating eggs, never stopped and don't plan on it, but I do cook them/boil them all the way.

yeah..dont forget ya cant eat ground beef or turkey either...

I wonder can I survive off herbal tea and cupcakes for the rest of my life

Great..I just took a pounds of the freezer to defrost.. <_< my liver is prob going to get me first anyway...

:rofl: yep. Wash your fruits & veggies or grow your own. Never know what lives in the fields or who didn't wash hands after last doing... whatever. ick!

just goes to figure too that my youngest chose melon as his healthy food to buy instead of junk.

I'm still eating eggs, never stopped and don't plan on it, but I do cook them/boil them all the way.

Growing your own doesn't help unless you do it in a greenhouse in sterile soil. From my understanding, animals (not illegal mexican migratory farm workers :glare:) are the carriers that contaminate the soil.

Growing your own doesn't help unless you do it in a greenhouse in sterile soil. From my understanding, animals (not illegal mexican migratory farm workers :glare:) are the carriers that contaminate the soil.

Yeah! Actually I've been reading at instructibles dot com for cheap easy greenhouses that work LOL. I am not going to put out thousands on a greenhouse but I love the idea of having one! Though ... I didn't know about sterile soil, so thank you for mentioning that !

I still think it would be cheaper to keep illegal aliens and varmints from pooping in your garden.

And just remember if one does slip by and does its business on your melons you can always box it up and send it off to Oprah for analysis.

Dude, if someone poops on my mellons, they will be dead before it gets all the way out.

oh wait

nevermind.

Yes! It's Friday! It's gutter time!

I didn't know about sterile soil, so thank you for mentioning that !

easy to sterilize soil, right in your kitchen oven

Yeah, something like 180 degrees for 30 minutes in the oven

Or 90 seconds in the microwave for every 2 lbs.

But be forewarned, it doth reeketh greatly.

Jebus, Dixie. Find somewhere else to spout that crap. Not here.

Well I ust say that my prior posts in this thread were meant to be humorous, but think about it. I'm serious about what I'm about to say... no attempts at humor. Honestly if I had to point the finger at something it is the only logical thing that comes to mind.

I have been growing cantalopes and watermelons since I was still small enough to ride on the fender of my grandfathers tractor. Cantalopes and watermelons are a high dollar crop. Each vine only produces a certain amount of melons. You let varmints and wild animals run thru your crops and they will flat out wipe your fields out either by damaging immature melons or stepping on the vines. Yup you step on a vine and it can kill the runner. Imagine a herd of deer going thru your field stepping on things.

There is no mechanical harvesting of cantalopes or for that matter most most produce... its all done by hand. And many farmer's hire migratory workers, many undocumented illegals on a cash basis. Trust me your average farmer isn't going to do background check on every single worker they hire to get their crops in or tend... they need their crops harvested in a certain window of literally a period of days and when your crop comes in, its over and done with pretty quick.

When I say that from what I hear mexicans have some weird potty habits I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone who has anything to do with anyone orginally from south of the border. I have heard too many horror stories from people I know who work in construction about what goes on under houses, even with a porta-john sitting on the worksite. And speaking from someone who has been there and done that, when nature calls in the field, you either hit the woods or the tractor cause you ain't got the time or money to stop what your doing and run to the house for a potty break. I dunno about anyone else, but personally I have never even seen a porta-john in a field. Furthermore, unless you keep some T.P. in there well you just have to use leaves or whatever you can find when mother nature suddenly calls, and usually there isn't any soap and water to wash your hands with. Been there, done that, not fun.

Do honestly thing that a few critter turds are capable of sickening as many people as the last round of cantalopes considering the nature of how curbits are grown? I highly doubt so unless one takes a poo directly on a melon. But you take one person who had to #2 out in a field and didn't wash their hands who touched hundreds of melons, and after washing the dirt of said melons I could easily see how foodborne illness could easily spread.

Even worse what if said fecal contamination was intentional?

You take some overworked, overheated, disrepected, underpaid individual and it is definately not beyond the scope of the imagination. Turd terrorism at its finest.

Just sayin.

Generally that is a bad thing to do, unless you are trying to rid of weed seed. Organic matter is good. Bacteria are mostly good because they keep the bad bacteria at bay. In fact, beans, peas and other legumes such as clover and alfalfa form symbiotic relationships with nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil. Healthy soil is not sterilized soil.

Part of the reason people nowadays are getting sick so easy is because everything is antibacterial this and that. Simply put, the cleaner we make our environment and what we consume, the less natural resistance people have to disease causing agents.

Agreed, however sterile soil is good for some things....especially cuttings and sometimes seed starting (depending on the type of seed). Rose propagation by cuttings really need sterilized soil....not just to hold rot at bay, but also black spot. I mean, yes, you can use truly sterile planting mediums, but I never liked doing that, I think they are healthier in actual soil...even if a lose a few of the cuttings along the way.

On the off chance that Dixie comes back.

LOOK!!! YOU WERE WRONG!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/listeria-outbreak-was-cau_n_1019851.html?igoogle=1

:rolleyes:

Every paragraph in that article contains a may/likely/probably/possibly/etc. Animal feces are mentioned as a possibility. While I'm not trying to agree with Dixie, that article doesn't prove anything right or wrong.

On the off chance that Dixie comes back.

LOOK!!! YOU WERE WRONG!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/listeria-outbreak-was-cau_n_1019851.html?igoogle=1

:rolleyes:

Every paragraph in that article contains a may/likely/probably/possibly/etc. Animal feces are mentioned as a possibility. While I'm not trying to agree with Dixie, that article doesn't prove anything right or wrong.

but human feces from undocumented illegals wasn't mentioned as a possibility. That makes him wrong.

:)