Sign in to follow this  
Nostromo

What's so great about MACS?

I was playing around with one in Best Buy yesterday. It was nice, but I fail to see what all the hype is about. Especially hype that justifies a $2200 price tag (yes, I know they have cheaper models, but still). :mellow:

(I'm aware of the whole virus situation, or alleged lackthereof, but that hasn't sold me).

I personally don't like Mac, or anything Apple for that matter.

I did like them when they first came out and I played with them. But when the "war" started, it was obvious that a lot more software was available for Win based computers. Plus, early Windows (as opposed to the earlier DOS that was used before Windows came along) was much easier to go into the DOS and write my own DOS commands. Then again, I never learned Macs original OS....so I guess that argument is sort of moot. :lol:

I personally don't like Mac, or anything Apple for that matter.

I did like them when they first came out and I played with them. But when the "war" started, it was obvious that a lot more software was available for Win based computers. Plus, early Windows (as opposed to the earlier DOS that was used before Windows came along) was much easier to go into the DOS and write my own DOS commands. Then again, I never learned Macs original OS....so I guess that argument is sort of moot. :lol:

This isn't really true anymore. I can get software for just about any purpose for my Mac. Microsoft even makes Office for the Mac.

Nos, in addition to the virus thing, the Mac OS is just more stable. Windows 7 is getting there, but is still not as stable as a Mac. Memory management is tons better in a Mac as well, both of those reasons combined are why I haven't had to reboot or turn off my Mac for anything other than an OS update. Ever. I've never had a crash, BSOD, or had a program just quit. Once you get used to a couple of differences in the OS, Macs are just easier to use. Most programs don't have a lengthy install process - you just drag them to your Applications folder. Uninstall? Right click and delete. The hardware being homogeneous has its pros and cons: Pros include the "it just works" nature of accessories and 3rd party software because they're writing drivers for a finite combination of hardware - they can't do that with Windows. Cons include that sometimes you get a bad run of a component, and thousands of computers fail. Apple is really good with their repair/replacement policy, though, so that lessens the blow.

Oh. Version updates to the OS? $29. Choke on that, Microsoft and your $100 and $200 OS updates.

One comment on the virus thing....the reason there are less viruses on Mac is that hackers never really went at them full scale.

Yes they are more secure, but still they would be vulnerable if someone really had a mind to do it.

I used to be one of those that wondered what's all the hype about a Mac. Then I decided to get into photography and thought I would go ahead and take the plunge and bought a MacBook Pro 15" screen. I found learning it was much simpler than I thought. Software updates are very easy and actually Apple improves speed to optimize performance for each install.

Love the graphics and speed.

Love the lighted keyboard.

Excellent hourly backup feature (Time Machine). Easy to use.

Never had a crash. Although I have had Safari (internet browser) hang once after viewing a news video on CNN. That's not bad after 14 months of use.

Boots up in about 15 or 20 seconds.

In the meantime, my laptop (a Dell) crashed and I made the switch full time to Apple and won't ever go back to Microsoft. I run a full virus scan once a month on the MacBook and nothing has ever been found.

Bottom line - it just works. Much better than I thought and I never thought I would make the switch, but glad I did.

I never liked the mac operating systems in the past and the price premium. I am not dyed-in-the-wool PC guy but I never saw what a mac could do that a cheaper PC can't do faster; at least in my line of work. I can see for people in certain creative arts mac is probably better. but for running SAS and other hogs a PC works just fine for me.

Macs have grown on me. For anyone who knows me, that is saying a WHOLE lot...

I have a Dell Latitude notebook and a Mac Desktop. The one that gives me the most problems: the notebook. It crashes, it gets slowwwwwwwww, I have to turn it off and on to reboot.

Now, my iMac - I'd use this thing all day yesterday and for the rest of my life. I was the same way as you Nos. My son was all Apple this and Apple that. The children can teach the parents. As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to a Macbook and I'm ditching the Dell Latitude.

It's just a no-brainer for me. I'm older and I have NO patience. So, I'll go with the computer which gives me no headache( Apple iMac), opposed to one that I want to throw out the window (and because it uses Windows, that would be appropro). LOL.. Btw - any problems, and I can take it into a Apple store. Love it!!!

Edited by Saturngoddess