Sign in to follow this  
punkinbee59

attention: Vizio flat panel TV owners

Why would I expect something out of warrant to get fixed? :dntknw:

You fix your old vehicles, don't you?

Sure. On my dime. I admittedly know zero about electronics, so I totally know that I might be missing something, but I'm not understanding why you wouldn't expect to pay for something if it broke out of warranty.

Sure. On my dime. I admittedly know zero about electronics, so I totally know that I might be missing something, but I'm not understanding why you wouldn't expect to pay for something if it broke out of warranty.

Yes, did you read the article? It's not that they're not getting FREE repairs. They're being told that they're UN-REPAIRABLE. Thirteen-month old TV and they're told to flat-out buy a new one.

I feel dumb, because I'm not getting it. I read the article. It is out of warranty. Its broken. Buy a new one. The end. :dntknw:

Maybe I'm not up in arms because I don't really care about tv's. :lol:

My Vizio is over 2 yrs old and works fine. I might be pissier if it was being dumb.

I feel dumb, because I'm not getting it. I read the article. It is out of warranty. Its broken. Buy a new one. The end. :dntknw:

Maybe I'm not up in arms because I don't really care about tv's. :lol:

My Vizio is over 2 yrs old and works fine. I might be pissier if it was being dumb.

That's half the reason why everyone in this country is lemonade-poor. It's the "it's broke, buy a new one!" mentality. If I had a TV that broke at barely a year old, and the company told me to replace it...I'd be fuming. It tells me that the company has NO confidence in their product. The TV in my bedroom is a 1997 RCA tube TV. That I just "upgraded" to after my 1992 25" Philco ( :rofl: is that company even around anymore?) started...not turning off. Well, the sound would go away...but the picture stayed on. It was actually kinda creepy. The RCA never even had to be fixed. One of my mom's TVs is a Samsung DLP from ~2003 that's only had to have the bulb replaced once. I know the days of reasonably-priced, quality products is over, but Christ on a pogo stick...barely a year for a $1600 TV? REALLY?!

I used to hear good things about Vizio. But now I know why everything in my house (except the ancient TV in my bedroom) is a Sony. They last.

I think half the reason people in this country are lemonade poor is because they insist on spending a small fortune on crap like a tv :lol:

And with that, I'm done with this topic because I still don't understand the outrage :lol:

I think half the reason people in this country are lemonade poor is because they insist on spending a small fortune on crap like a tv :lol:

And with that, I'm done with this topic because I still don't understand the outrage :lol:

Well, you have a valid point.

But you're still wrong. :lol:

Funny topic. My Acer 235 just went out and I had to replace it. Got a HN274H 3D LCD. Very Nice.

I see hardware failures as an indication it's time to upgrade. Pretty much a requirement these days with the rapid tech changes.

Yes, did you read the article? It's not that they're not getting FREE repairs. They're being told that they're UN-REPAIRABLE. Thirteen-month old TV and they're told to flat-out buy a new one.

Because the part + shipping + labor to fix that particular problem costs just as much as a new TV. Panasonic will tell customers the same thing in the same circumstance. Also not seeing the outrage here.

Pssht. I love it when folks TV's die. Specially the new ones.

Why?

Cause I know how to fix em. Usually in about 80% of all cases death on a TV set less than three years old is due to one or more bad filtering capacitor on the power supply outputs or RoHS solder joints developing microfractures or just plain old crappy work.

An ESR meter and some soldering equipment from radio shack is usually all that is needed to find, remove, and fix them. Replacement capacitors are cheap and easy to get from Mouser or Digikey, just look for Panasonic FM series and match up the capacitance and voltage and you should be good to go.

Speaking of the devil here is an actual vizio plasma tv power supply board complete with failed capacitors. Cost to repair $10 or so provided none of the fets or voltage regulator ic's (the black things on the aluminum heatsinks) got nuked.

100_1027.jpg

The deal is basically this... to save money all TV manufacturers nowadays are putting cheap taiwan, korean, and *gasp* chinese capacitors in place of quality japanese manufactureres. And, if you know anything about electronics, fakes are everywhere. Many of these manufacturers I'm sure overrate the quality of their products... honest to goodness they just about have to considering they sell them for literally a quarter or less of the cost of a japanese cap. Give it another year or so... the word about whats going on is starting to go viral... i see $$$ ahead for me.

Also, note to self, vacuum dog's "blanket" before using it as a background for photography.

Well, the outrage is due to having to spend more money on a TV again. I know I would be a bit ticked on different levels that 1) a new TV dies just past the warranty period and 2) there is no way to fix the TV at a nominal cost. But other TVs of higher "status" and prices are also suffering from this. This is what people get for just wanting products based solely on price and not wanting to spend just a little more to get a bit more quality. Case in point. Pioneer made some of the best TVs on the market. They no longer make TVs because the consumer has made it clear that they are unwilling to pay for the quality that goes into a Pioneer TV. But some of the things we got with a Pioneer was the best picture on the market, quality of the components used in the TV, and the follow sales support. There were some issues with the power supplies on some Pioneer plasma TVs. Pioneer issued a public repair bulletin and were still covering affected TVs long after the warranty had expired. This included Pioneer paying for a repair facility to come out to your house to replace the power supply. I paid an arm and a leg for my Pioneer Elite Pro 1010HD plasma that is now probably going on 7 to 8 years old. Still has an excellent picture and still running strong. I have no intentions of replacing this TV and a visit from a professional calibrator a couple of years ago confirmed that the TV is still competitive against the current crop of TVs. My Pioneer Elite Pro 141FD still has the best picture of any flat panel TV besides the 101FD and KRP-500M against the current crop of TVs despite not being made for 3 years.

Also, I had an issue with a Sony 32" tubed TV many years ago. The TV was out of the labor warranty and after talking to Sony, they agreed to split the labor charge. Not sure if they are still upholding this level customer service now.

For the nerds and techies, sites like AVSForum typically has threads on TV failures and many times have solutions to failed components which if you're handy will allow you to save your TV and save money in the process. Sometimes it's a simple issue like failed caps as dixiedrifter noted but sometimes it goes beyond that where one or some of the processing boards have gone bad.

My vizio plasma is still going strong after five years. If it died tomorrow I would say I got my monies worth for what I paid for it. I recommend them often and everyone who has gotten one has loved them. Of course some I'll fail early, there electronics. By and large they are good TV's.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

The replacement cost of a LCD/LED panel is most often more than the MSRP of the TV. I guess if you really wanted to pay $1000+ to repair a TV that you paid $700 for, I'm sure there is some one willing to take your money.

Most folks don't understand that Vizio doesn't manufacture their own panels... they source them from major manufacturers such as LG and so on.

Like I said before, the panels generally last a looong time unless they get physically broken... its the passive components that determine the lifespan of a particular electronics device.

And I don't care how good a manufacturers rep is... the only true way you can determine the quality of a TV set is to take the back off and look at who makes what.

Lastly, even if a set does die, its not a total loss, you can easily sell the boards out of it on Ebay and to other sources,and the panel itself is worth good money for folks who accidently break their sets.

Agreed, most of the time it's not the physical panel which dies but the electronics. And yes, you really can't judge the quality of the TV based on manufacturer rep. But most would say that the Pioneer TVs are built according to their reputation. The attention to details goes down to even the ASICs they use in their panels which were custom burned by them for their TVs. There's an interview on I think Twit TV online where they interviewed a former Pioneer employee. He gave a lot of insight on why the Pioneer TVs cost as much as they do from how the glass was engineered right down into the electronics.

Agreed, most of the time it's not the physical panel which dies but the electronics. And yes, you really can't judge the quality of the TV based on manufacturer rep. But most would say that the Pioneer TVs are built according to their reputation. The attention to details goes down to even the ASICs they use in their panels which were custom burned by them for their TVs. There's an interview on I think Twit TV online where they interviewed a former Pioneer employee. He gave a lot of insight on why the Pioneer TVs cost as much as they do from how the glass was engineered right down into the electronics.

You're right. Those Pioneers were amazing. My mom bought one when they first came out to the tune of about $Texas at Best Buy. But it's required nothing, absolutely nothing in terms of repairs. And it's been moved countless times. I never realized they stopped making TVs; I just thought they moved to more high-end stores.

I would be LIVID had I purchased a TV and it went on the fritz only a year later, even if it were still in warranty.... People buy major appliances ( and I consider a TV one) and only have the life expectancy of one year??

and then you will add fuel to the flame if you tell me the cost to repair makes it so that it makes better sense to purchase a new one....

I expect a TV to work for wayyyyy longer than ONE year without a SINGLE problem, even if it were a problem covered by warranty.....I expect the same for most every appliance I purchase...

Oddly, my washing machine was coming up with a computer code & in researching the issue, I saw several posts on gardenweb forum that suggested that washer/dryers arent expected to last more than 5-7 years...

well forgive me if I expect things like w/d stoves, fridges, dw, etc to last until I dont need them anymore... the only time I remember my parents replacing appliances is when they didnt match the decor for mom's remodel.....they worked perfectly and were not discarded....

I would be LIVID had I purchased a TV and it went on the fritz only a year later, even if it were still in warranty.... People buy major appliances ( and I consider a TV one) and only have the life expectancy of one year??

and then you will add fuel to the flame if you tell me the cost to repair makes it so that it makes better sense to purchase a new one....

I expect a TV to work for wayyyyy longer than ONE year without a SINGLE problem, even if it were a problem covered by warranty.....I expect the same for most every appliance I purchase...

Oddly, my washing machine was coming up with a computer code & in researching the issue, I saw several posts on gardenweb forum that suggested that washer/dryers arent expected to last more than 5-7 years...

well forgive me if I expect things like w/d stoves, fridges, dw, etc to last until I dont need them anymore... the only time I remember my parents replacing appliances is when they didnt match the decor for mom's remodel.....they worked perfectly and were not discarded....

My Grams has a chest freezer that she got as a wedding gift in 1953. It still works beautifully. My mom's house, up until she remodeled it, still had the original 1968 appliances. If I'm paying for a major appliance, and yes, to me a TV is one, it had better last longer than even 5 years.

Tee, I don't disagree with you. But according to the article, they could find EIGHT instances of this happening, out of their how many hundreds of thousands manufactured and sold? I am not getting the impression that this major component of the TV failing is not happening in a large percentage of their sets. You know this.... but in the world of electronics, there is going to be a small percentage of items produced that don't work as expected. It sucks, but it happens. And yeah, I'd be tweaked if it happened to me. But since it hasn't, I look at the numbers and say.... not a lot to get excited about, yet.

My Grams has a chest freezer that she got as a wedding gift in 1953. It still works beautifully. My mom's house, up until she remodeled it, still had the original 1968 appliances. If I'm paying for a major appliance, and yes, to me a TV is one, it had better last longer than even 5 years.

All of this.

But let me be clear, it's not like it takes much for me to be Livid and Angry. But spending $$ on an appliance and having it not work after only a year? Yup. Someone will be getting their house burned down and/or a good tazering. Messing with my money is like poking a rabid dog. :search: