6 Figure Income CBers

KDS

The last post in this topic was posted 4160 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Software Engineer. Honestly, anybody with decent intelligence and enough motivation can get a six figure job, it's usually a combination of laziness and lack of intelligence that get in the way. The mid-six figure jobs and above are where other factors come into play.

Edited by Cone

I am a database developer/administrator. I am a contractor for the gov't at the moment.

I think its also location, education, clearances, civilian vs. gov't... there are a lot of factors that play into salary. Not necessarily people being lazy or ignorant. If I did the same job I do now out in like Kansas or something I highly doubt I would get the same level of pay if it was a lateral position.

Edited by cputrwz

I am a database developer/administrator. I am a contractor for the gov't at the moment.

I think its also location, education, clearances, civilian vs. gov't... there are a lot of factors that play into salary. Not necessarily people being lazy or ignorant. If I did the same job I do now out in like Kansas or something I highly doubt I would get the same level of pay if it was a lateral position.

Of course, but I consider most of those factors changeable if one really wanted a six figure income.

I'm retired. When I worked it was as a combo EE, software, firmware dev. Great jobs. Always new stuff to play with. As a colleague once said: "I can't believe they pay me to do this." However, I've known engineers that absolutely hated their profession and usually fell into it. It takes a toll if you aren't into it since technology advances rapidly and obsoletes much of what you learned in prior years. Most things suck if you don't like them and are great if you do. In engineering high pay comes later and is almost natural if you are really into your job.

If you hate your work you will hate it even more if you are highly paid. You feel stuck with nowhere to go.

Software Engineer. Honestly, anybody with decent intelligence and enough motivation can get a six figure job, it's usually a combination of laziness and lack of intelligence that get in the way. The mid-six figure jobs and above are where other factors come into play.

Don't be so naive. I work with someone who is a Harvard grad. Received her MA in 2 semesters (Harvard), currently working on her PHD, has co-authored two books on addiction and mental illness and is a supervisor in her department. She makes less than six figures.

OMG... I would love to work for an online gaming company... which one do you work for? I'm not only a geek but a gaming geek as well. :) I've always wanted to work on a gaming systems database. :)

I'd rather not directly state it in case it ever gets google cached, but we created cities such as Liberty City ;)

Don't be so naive. I work with someone who is a Harvard grad. Received her MA in 2 semesters (Harvard), currently working on her PHD, has co-authored two books on addiction and mental illness and is a supervisor in her department. She makes less than six figures.

I'm not being naive. It was her choice to work in that field. Had she chosen a more profitable field, she would likely be making six figures.

OMG... I would love to work for an online gaming company... which one do you work for? I'm not only a geek but a gaming geek as well. :) I've always wanted to work on a gaming systems database. :)

I'd rather not directly state it in case it ever gets google cached, but we created cities such as Liberty City ;)

I see I see... :) I'm actually job hunting as we speak... really want to get out of gov't contracting. I had a promising job earlier today and the guy asked me what my salary requirement was and his response: "Quite a bit more than we were looking to spend. Thanks very much and good luck." :sorry::angry:

Like another poster said- you could graduate from Harvard with a Masters/PhD in Education-- no guarantees that degree would garner you 6+ figures.

Certain careers will offer higher salaries-- others never no matter the education/pedigree

Hubby makes six figures. I don't work outside the home. He's a CEO. I will say that for many years when our children were young he did not make a lot of money. It wasn't because he was lazy or stupid (he has a phd from a top tier university), but because he didn't want to be that dad that was married to his work and didn't know his kids. He changed diapers, took his turn rocking sick babies in the middle of the night, etc. Now they're older and he works a lot more but we are a very close family. It's not all about money.

My wife and I make 6 figures each. I do level III application support for a major oil and gas company and my wife works as a project manager/consultant helping hospitals get their electronic medical record systems up and running.

EDIT:

As to degrees, it's all about the field. I have been making 6 figures for quite awhile with only a high school diploma. About 3 years ago I decided to finish my associates. I then completed my bachelors in March of this year and am currently enrolled in a Masters program. It's more because I want the degree than it is that I believe it will help me in my career.

Edited by jtoast

Hubby makes six figures. I don't work outside the home. He's a CEO. I will say that for many years when our children were young he did not make a lot of money. It wasn't because he was lazy or stupid (he has a phd from a top tier university), but because he didn't want to be that dad that was married to his work and didn't know his kids. He changed diapers, took his turn rocking sick babies in the middle of the night, etc. Now they're older and he works a lot more but we are a very close family. It's not all about money.

Sounds like you guys made a lot of smart decisions. Money ain't everything.

Some people are taking what I said way out of context. I said that anybody with decent intelligence and enough motivation could land a six figure income if they really wanted, not that everybody should give up everything in life in pursuit of it.

Definitely not all about money as I can't do what I do just for a paycheck.

I'm a night shift RN on a surgical oncology unit. I typically work three nights a week but I love what I do, so I pick up extra shifts on the hematology unit when my schedule (and sanity) allow for it. My base is 5 figures, but add on shift differential and overtime, I break 6 figures by the end of the year.

ETA: I can't sleep today! Tonight will be a long night if I don't catch a few more zz's. I was supposed to have my wedding food tasting this afternoon, but that was cancelled and rescheduled for monday! blah! Too late for a benadryl too.

Edited by audrahz

Some people are taking what I said way out of context. I said that anybody with decent intelligence and enough motivation could land a six figure income if they really wanted, not that everybody should give up everything in life in pursuit of it.

I wasn't taking what you said out of context, just adding some weight to the conversation. :-)

If you make 6 figures you sure as heck wouldn't be hangin' out on a credit forum.

But it is the internet, where EVERYONE makes 6 figures....yeah....that's the ticket....washing my Ferrari....don't get the Rolex wet....

Although 5% do make 100k or more, which would mean a potential of 5000 members could be at that income. I doubt it though.

Me? 5 figures.... :)

I wasn't taking what you said out of context, just adding some weight to the conversation. :-)

:P

If you make 6 figures you sure as heck wouldn't be hangin' out on a credit forum.

You are assuming that people who make more money are more responsible or better educated in money management. It wasn't until we went bankrupt that we learned how to manage our money.

But it is the internet, where EVERYONE makes 6 figures....yeah....that's the ticket....washing my Ferrari....don't get the Rolex wet....

Although 5% do make 100k or more, which would mean a potential of 5000 members could be at that income. I doubt it though.

Me? 5 figures.... :)

What the heck does my salary have to do with where I surf? Why wouldn't I be hanging out on the credit boards? I could hang out on the SQL Server forums...but frankly they are less entertaining and don't help me get the credit cards I want ... :P

I think the key is software engineering is that you have to love software. It's well known that programmers have an absolutely huge variance in productivity and that it is not particularly correlated with classic university credentials. All the people that loved software that I knew made 6 figures degreed or not. The ones that didn't, often worked very hard but the harder they worked the more they hated it. Non programmers don't really understand this but programming is like creating art. It's highly motivating and doesn't actually seem like work even when you do back to back 100+ hr weeks.

What the heck does my salary have to do with where I surf? Why wouldn't I be hanging out on the credit boards? I could hang out on the SQL Server forums...but frankly they are less entertaining and don't help me get the credit cards I want ... :P

$50+/ an hour to surf the net? Sign me up.

Edited by jst300z

The last post in this topic was posted 4160 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.