Sign in to follow this  
Concrete

Has anyone been banned from a store due to their signature? I have!

As posted in other topics, a store close to me has been recording my date of birth on my receipt when purchasing alcohol. So, with a brand new credit card I have, I signed on the back F*** Y** (use your imagination). Today, cash n hand, along with my new credit card, I went into that store. Against Mastercard regulations, the clerk asked for my ID, entered my date of birth into their system, and held onto my two cards until I signed the receipt. I signed the receipt with the same signature on the back of my credit card F*** Y**, she then motioned to the manager.

While waiting, I asked what the purpose of checking the signature on the credit card on the receipt, and he replied "to see if it matches the card signature". I then asked him if the signatures where different and he replied "nope", so I'm like, "well then, give me back my card and I'll be off to drink a frosty one tonight", he declined.

All of a sudden there were 10 or so employees around me, and the manager asked why I signed that way. I told him because that's how I feel about your store because your record my date of birth against the law. The manager then said I can never return to the store again.

Obviously I find this to be funny, but I wanted and did make a point, a point that none of the store employees were all too happy about. I know in Califonria it is legal for stores to ask for ID when using a credit card, but I also know it is against MasterCard terms to demand ID. Is it all of a sudden illegal for me to decide to change my signature to something that others find inappropriate in the state of California, even though it matches the signature on my credit card?

As posted in other topics, a store close to me has been recording my date of birth on my receipt when purchasing alcohol. So, with a brand new credit card I have, I signed on the back F*** Y** (use your imagination). Today, cash n hand, along with my new credit card, I went into that store. Against Mastercard regulations, the clerk asked for my ID, entered my date of birth into their system, and held onto my two cards until I signed the receipt. I signed the receipt with the same signature on the back of my credit card F*** Y**, she then motioned to the manager.

While waiting, I asked what the purpose of checking the signature on the credit card on the receipt, and he replied "to see if it matches the card signature". I then asked him if the signatures where different and he replied "nope", so I'm like, "well then, give me back my card and I'll be off to drink a frosty one tonight", he declined.

All of a sudden there were 10 or so employees around me, and the manager asked why I signed that way. I told him because that's how I feel about your store because your record my date of birth against the law. The manager then said I can never return to the store again.

Obviously I find this to be funny, but I wanted and did make a point, a point that none of the store employees were all too happy about. I know in Califonria it is legal for stores to ask for ID when using a credit card, but I also know it is against MasterCard terms to demand ID. Is it all of a sudden illegal for me to decide to change my signature to something that others find inappropriate in the state of California, even though it matches the signature on my credit card?

Actually, what they did was still within mastercards rules. When the signature on the back is missing or invalid, the clerk is supposed to ask for ID. It would be no different then putting "check ID" on the back of your card in the signature panel. Technically, what the merchant is supposed to do is check ID because the signature on the back certainly doesn't match the name of the person issued on the front.

Is it all of a sudden illegal for me to decide to change my signature to something that others find inappropriate in the state of California, even though it matches the signature on my credit card?

Ordinarily, I'd say it's just as perfectly legal for you to change your signature to "f*** y**" as it is for the liquor store to ban you from their premises for it. Of course, being that it's California we're talking about, I wouldn't be too surprised if both actions were in fact illegal.

Does your state not have a minimum drinking age? Is your name really what you signed on the back of your card? Is that your legal signature? If so...then you might have something on them...

if not, your card isn't valid

Stores around me are required to ask for ID when purchasing alcohol; regardless of how payment is made. No ID, no alcohol. Some have lock-outs on their POS system preventing them from completing a transaction involving alcohol until a DOB is entered.

Perhaps you're confusing their ID request that they are making within state guidelines/requirements to purchase alcohol with an inappropriate ID request to use a credit card.

Either way, seems like you went out of your way to be difficult instead of just having a conversation with the manager when this first started bothering you or just taking your business elsewhere.

Stores around me are required to ask for ID when purchasing alcohol; regardless of how payment is made. No ID, no alcohol. Some have lock-outs on their POS system preventing them from completing a transaction involving alcohol until a DOB is entered.

Perhaps you're confusing their ID request that they are making within state guidelines/requirements to purchase alcohol with an inappropriate ID request to use a credit card.

Either way, seems like you went out of your way to be difficult instead of just having a conversation with the manager when this first started bothering you or just taking your business elsewhere.

Agreed.

Stores are within their rights to declare you PNG so long as it's not for a prohibited, discriminatory reason.

Why make life difficult for yourself? OTOH, it's a fun story and may even help you save money! It's all good.

The store asked me for my ID when scanning my beer. They then returned my ID back to me after entering my DOB into the register in which I put it back into my wallet.

When I said I was paying with my credit card, they again ask for my drivers license.

LOL, half the signatures I see working for the VA look nothing like the name presented on the forms. Another question to the majority of repliers, are signatures legally required to resemble the printed name of the person signing? Not to argue, but I'm lost. If I have to accept a simple scribble that resembles nothing towards their real name or John Smith, what is wrong with me doing the same, although readable?

Since my intial post, I conducted an experiment and went to Walmart to buy a flat screen TV using my credit card. They too asked for my ID, and gave me complete crap for signing my ID the way I did. Sure people ask me about alcohol laws, but this time I wasn't purchasing alcohol, but a television. I was banned from them too, just for signing my receipt and card the same way. I promptly returned the television and was credited.

Sorry buddy but I disagree with yours or Jacks opinion. After all, its very easy for people who owe on credit cards to simply talk to a manager and pay off what they owe. Oh but wait, this is different, right?

No, shouldnt be any different.

If theres a problem with any store, you try to work it out with the manager.

Mcdonalds, wal-mart, target, ABC stores, movie theaters, etc.

I just dont understand why that wasnt done to start with?

This sounds like something I would do.

i to was in your boat once, and did the exact same thing!! When management asked whats up? I said it aint worth u losing your job or freedom over! he said i agree and i was on my way!

:unsure::dntknw::search::swoon:

So you got banned from a store for acting like a d-bag and now you're asking what you did wrong? Doesn't a state ID have a signature on it that they can compare the CC siggy to? Maybe you should sue for signature discrimination and see what a judge thinks as he laughs at you while dismissing your case.

Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see where this is doing anything except keeping you from buying things you want.

404 Funny not found.

So you got banned from a store for acting like a d-bag and now you're asking what you did wrong? Doesn't a state ID have a signature on it that they can compare the CC siggy to? Maybe you should sue for signature discrimination and see what a judge thinks as he laughs at you while dismissing your case.

the funny thing about this is, he thinks hes among friends that will laugh at his retardness. I would ban you from my store too

the funny thing about this is, he thinks hes among friends that will laugh at his retardness. I would ban you from my store too

You sign a card looking for a reaction, don't be surprised when you get one. :rolleyes:

You sign a card looking for a reaction, don't be surprised when you get one. :rolleyes:

:good:

Its not explicitly against MC regulations to ask for ID. Even if it was, if it's the store's policy to ask and verify, then you either comply or they can refuse service.

Unless f***y*** is your legal name, the store had every reason to believe you were commiting identity theft or fraud, thus refusing service. Obviously f***y*** is not on your license.

No, its not against the law.

Although MC T&C may say ID is not required, I would like you to link where MC explicitly forbids asking for ID. And, although you can sign your card and your receipt however you want, put yourself in the service providers shoes. If some jacka$$ was going to pay you for your time, service, or materials, and he signed with f***y***, or George Bush, or Osama Bin Laden, would you accept it? If you answer yes, then I guess it would be well known where people can go with their stolen credit cards, eh?

Although MC T&C may say ID is not required, I would like you to link where MC explicitly forbids asking for ID. And, although you can sign your card and your receipt however you want, put yourself in the service providers shoes. If some jacka$$ was going to pay you for your time, service, or materials, and he signed with f***y***, or George Bush, or Osama Bin Laden, would you accept it? If you answer yes, then I guess it would be well known where people can go with their stolen credit cards, eh?

:good:

Sorry buddy but I disagree with yours or Jacks opinion. After all, its very easy for people who owe on credit cards to simply talk to a manager and pay off what they owe. Oh but wait, this is different, right?

You'd be amazed what can be accomplished by a simple conversation.

What amazes me is what kind of areas people must live in to be asked for their ID on a regular basis when using plastic. Since getting my first credit card in 1985, I have been asked for ID when paying with a credit card TWICE in 26 years: once when my signature had worn off the back of a card so it appeared to be un-signed, and the second when paying for $3000 worth of Jet-A. Perhaps the better solution to your problem is to move somewhere less distrusting.

Since I had a card skimmed and a fake card created which was used to purchase thousands of dollars* of stuff I'm all for requiring ID. The intrinsic security aspects of a CC are out of date. They should issue a more secure card.

*While I wasn't out money from this the bank was and I was cardless for a few days.

OP: Grow up. While I do understand your principal, you still need to grow up. This is a case of sheer immaturity and "just because I can."

You should pick up a hobby.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    wandasoto
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines