Sign in to follow this  
aftermath

Does Citibank pull my credit when opening a checking account?

I've read they always did. But about a year ago when I opened a checking account with Citibank there was no hard inquiry. I already had a savings and a couple credit cards with them, so maybe that had something to do with it. YMMV

Not with my business checking account here in California, opened about 2 months ago. YMMV. They do pull CHEX.

Edited by PunisherSD

My EX/EQ/TU CRs are all frozen, Chex is not. I applied for a Citi Checking account for an account bonus. I believe they tried to pull Experian, and failed. I called Citi, and was told that they couldn't verify my identification. The CSR mentioned that I should stop in at a local branch, and that they would likely need my license. I stopped by the local branch, but they could not find my initial application in the computer. After providing the documentation for the original offer, the CSR started a new app instead.

The computer would not automatically open the account, but the CSR called Chex manually - and I was approved.

So, I definitely think it's possible to open a Citi Checking with a hard pull on the big three.

I'm guessing they will try to pull a hard on either EX/EQ/TU if you try online- but Chex + identification seems to suffice in person.

Edited by ChrisJ500

I opened a Citi checking account 2 years ago but made sure not to include a OD CL as my credit was crap then. They didn't pull a CR. Six months after that I opened a Secured CC with Citi and they pulled a hard at that time as expected.

just opened a citi checking in feb....NO HARD OR SOFT PULL, just chex