Sign in to follow this  
Meelo

New USAA Account Question

I opened up a new USAA account on Friday. I am in Chex for something that will come off this year and I am not sure if I am in Telecheck or EWS. I am a bit worried that they might close the account. How long should I wait before setting up Direct Deposit? I am a full member and have been a USAA insurance customer for 5 years.

Thanks

I opened up a new USAA account on Friday. I am in Chex for something that will come off this year and I am not sure if I am in Telecheck or EWS. I am a bit worried that they might close the account. How long should I wait before setting up Direct Deposit? I am a full member and have been a USAA insurance customer for 5 years.

Thanks

Give it a few weeks but generally they run EWS right away.

Thanks

Give it a few weeks but generally they run EWS right away.

Thanks for the help mca!

I had 2 accounts that closed with a balance at USAA about 3-4 years ago. I have been banking with Chase since then. Anyhow I went online a opened another checking account with USAA and was surprised that it stayed open. I called USAA and talked to them about it and was told that the account was in a "credit only" status. The rep told me that anything that went into the account would be automatically deducted and applied to the charge offs. So I would transfer every week 5-20 dollars till it paid off. Have benn paid now for over 2 months. I don't know if this was just luck or if they are more forgiving in that aspect. I know for sure that I have 1 account listed on EWS and 2 on chex with balances.

PS If you app for a credit card and get denied they will counter offer a secured card attached to 2 year CD. I got the secured AMEX with them, this may help your retention???? I am also full member with insurance for last 10 years.

Edited by Bert Reynolds

Well I just joined and they told me that I was good to go but I did have some money owed to a bank a few years back. Will they take money out of my account to pay this other bank? They told me that the were running a check while we were on the phone and then he said I was good to go. Does this mean that nothing showed up?

What is EWS? I know he said he was checking something as we spoke but he didn't say what it was he was checking. After he checked he said OK you are good to go.

OK I read a little bit about it and know what it means. I am just worried about them closing my account because of this. I am not sure if I am in the system or not but have already set up my direct deposit because he said I was good to go.

Early Warning Service or something like that. I would change your direct deposit or put all your money there for about 2 weeks to make sure that everything is ok. I didn't have a problem and I know of at least one account on EWS. I would try to get involved in the other products if you can. Seemed to help me. Get insurance open a CD and a secured credit card. I think if they see you as "marketable and secure" it may help. I have a few friends that are in similar situation as me and we have all so far gotten by. Be good to USAA and they will be sure to return the favor. Insurance alone I save around $1600 a year compared to State Farm and others I have used in the past. 6 cars and 3 drivers under 21. Still have 2 more that are begging to start driving.

I can't stop my direct deposit in time now. If they close my account will they mail me my money? I was not worried about anything when speaking with them but now after reading in here it worries me a bit. Why in the world wouldn't they check all of this before they open your account?

I can't stop my direct deposit in time now. If they close my account will they mail me my money? I was not worried about anything when speaking with them but now after reading in here it worries me a bit. Why in the world wouldn't they check all of this before they open your account?

Dunno, I think a lot of people feel the same from wht I read here and personal experience USAA is not like the other witch hunters, who knows direct deposit may help. Again they can can view it as stability. What other bank did you have a probem with and how much if I may ask?

Woodforrest Bank and maybe around 2 to 2.5 years ago. I don't even know how much I owed them because I never got a bill from them. I know that I went a little over when I was laid off and not direct depositing but it was not a whole bunch. Mostly just a couple of OD fees from them.

On 6/8/2011 at 2:50 PM, Bert Reynolds said:

I had 2 accounts that closed with a balance at USAA about 3-4 years ago. I have been banking with Chase since then. Anyhow I went online a opened another checking account with USAA and was surprised that it stayed open. I called USAA and talked to them about it and was told that the account was in a "credit only" status. The rep told me that anything that went into the account would be automatically deducted and applied to the charge offs. So I would transfer every week 5-20 dollars till it paid off. Have benn paid now for over 2 months. I don't know if this was just luck or if they are more forgiving in that aspect. I know for sure that I have 1 account listed on EWS and 2 on chex with balances.

PS If you app for a credit card and get denied they will counter offer a secured card attached to 2 year CD. I got the secured AMEX with them, this may help your retention???? I am also full member with insurance for last 10 years.

I have been a USAA member since 2006 and my checking account went negative in 2008 and was charged off in 2009 for $1,163.00. I applied online for a new account in November 2017 and it went to credits only after 3 days.  I would transfer $50-75 a week. I ended up not making any deposit in March 2018 and went to login to pay on some of it again on April 2, 2018 and the account was closed. I reapplied on my phones mobile app and was denied due to EWS. I reapplied the next day on my computer and was approved for yet another new account, Since i knew it would go to credits only, i immediately activated debit card, and ordered checks and set up transfers. The only account that never went to credits only was my savings account, So to my advantage, I would zelle the money from 5/3 Bank and into my savings and then transfer to the new checking for them to offset to the old account. So then on April 22, 2018 i did another bank transfer for the remaining balance and it credited my savings account right away, no 3-4 day wait for funds to transfer. It was like an instant transfer. I called USAA and the banker said yes there are funds to cover the offset, he moved the funds over to the old account and took the credits only off.  I then opened a $1000.00 CD later that day and applied for the AMEX credit card. I like that card because i can do a free cash advance from that card to my USAA and funds go in right away. My goal is to fund it the full $5000.00 it is allowed. All is well with USAA