anyone with IRS lien experience.... SUPER BAD situation !!!

The last post in this topic was posted 3821 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

my father in law passed away saturday, he has an irs judgement lien against him. if we claim any of his personal effects or his last paycheck owed to him by the company he was working for will this make us liable for the debt. he has nothing in his name.....no property, cars, 401k , or life insurance. he was super irresponsible with his finances and now we are left to pick up the pieces. we cannot afford to bury him. we can have him cremated. the company he was working for will pay to transfer his body to us, he died out of state. we have been estranged from him for years and years, but we wanted to do something for his grandkids so they could have closure they have kept in contact with him. our other option would be to let him go into a pauper grave if claiming his remains would cause us further problems. would we get a 1099 for the body transfer the company is offering to pay for?

thank you for your help.

my father in law passed away saturday, he has an irs judgement lien against him. if we claim any of his personal effects or his last paycheck owed to him by the company he was working for will this make us liable for the debt. he has nothing in his name.....no property, cars, 401k , or life insurance. he was super irresponsible with his finances and now we are left to pick up the pieces. we cannot afford to bury him. we can have him cremated. the company he was working for will pay to transfer his body to us, he died out of state. we have been estranged from him for years and years, but we wanted to do something for his grandkids so they could have closure they have kept in contact with him. our other option would be to let him go into a pauper grave if claiming his remains would cause us further problems. would we get a 1099 for the body transfer the company is offering to pay for?

thank you for your help.

i just went through the same thing. I assume that being he has no assets there is no need to file a probate claim, thus if u collected his personal effects doesn't make u liable, i assume he had a bank account? if he did u will wanna start with showing the bank a death cert close it and collect whatever is in and the same applies to his last wages as well. How do u know if he didnt life ins? U can search MIB-thats a search engine ment just for insurance policy's such as life etc.. We did it and found 3 other life policys on my late father inlaw and no 1 knew! I hate to ask this but was the cause of death? Being he worked outta state its possible 1 would have a claim against the employers workmans comp- it might help reduce some expenses??? If u cant get any directions, please feel free to PM me, Ill send u my #, and ill guide through what I paid a probate attorney 5 grand for, only to find out i couldve done this myself!

thank you for your help.

i just went through the same thing. I assume that being he has no assets there is no need to file a probate claim, thus if u collected his personal effects doesn't make u liable, i assume he had a bank account? if he did u will wanna start with showing the bank a death cert close it and collect whatever is in and the same applies to his last wages as well. How do u know if he didnt life ins? U can search MIB-thats a search engine ment just for insurance policy's such as life etc.. We did it and found 3 other life policys on my late father inlaw and no 1 knew! I hate to ask this but was the cause of death? Being he worked outta state its possible 1 would have a claim against the employers workmans comp- it might help reduce some expenses??? If u cant get any directions, please feel free to PM me, Ill send u my #, and ill guide through what I paid a probate attorney 5 grand for, only to find out i couldve done this myself!

Be very careful giving advice that could be construed as legal advice. You DO NOT want to be charged with practicing law without a license. And just saying "this is not legal advice" does not make it so.

P.S. this was not legal advice... :blush:

For the tax situation, I would talk with an tax attorney, or, enrolled agent. I would advoid any nationally advertised firms such as Roni Douche, Tax Masters, etc. These firms were sued by several state AG's and fined by the FTC. The other thought is you can call the IRS National Tax Payers' Advocate for your situation. You can file an IRS form 911, or, http://www.irs.gov/advocate/. Any paperwork that you have would be helpful before you contact them. They may need a power of atty, or, other docs to show that your an executor of the estate. In addition, you can go thru the IRS website, IRS.gov and look up the collection manual, or, IRM to see what the proceedures are for the IRS for your estate situation. This will arm you with information on how the IRS views the situation. The IRS will follow the IRM step by step, so, it's good to know what you're dealing with. The last thought is there any liability for the state taxes as well. This is why it's recommended that you talk with a tax attorney to deal with the multiple issues between liquidating the estate and closing out any remaning tax issues.

Feel free to leave comments after you talk with anyone and we can guide you accordingly...Best of luck in this hard time.

The last post in this topic was posted 3821 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.